WS-200+ Paddle Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    I am discussing this with the factory. If you are currently seeing issues with the WD200 or WS200 can you post which issue you are seeing and include the version of the firmware you are on. Thanks!
    I had issues with the latest firmware... And also before the upgrade but don't recall which version is was 7?8?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

With Z-Wave, the chip is always listening and receives everything. It filters commands that are not destined for the device. However, excessive traffic can overrun the small CPU in the chip and there are known issues where it can start to corrupt data. It would be a huge help if you could turn off any device that is a transmitter. You said you turned off some, but are there others? Also, even if you have another hub on a different network, that traffic is still seen and processed by all devices. So I would power that off also (everything shares the same 908 mhz frequency). Then see if the problems are still there. If not, we know its traffic related.

Do you see the same issue on multiple devices?

Years ago when we first started supporting Z-Wave we caught an ACT wall switch stuck transmitting random Z-Wave packets and the network was totally unreliable. Took a while to figure this out. I have told users that its sometimes a good idea to just cycle power on the entire home. This has fixed many issues!
      Good to know! I turned off the zwave radio in the Hubitat Hub. I won't miss it as it was not doing anything for me - no devices paired with it.

Over the years I have indeed had to power down the whole house several times to address unreliable zwave network issues. I had a few Enerwave outlets that would get stuck and apparently cause havoc on the network. In other cases I could not figure out what device it was but a full house power cycle typically helped. Either way, the few Enerwave outlets I had ended up in the trash. I have updated all my network to zwave *plus* devices from Homeseer, Jasco, Zooz, Aeotec. 40% of my zwave network is Homeseer. I eliminated the 4in1 Zooz sensors as they were super chatty even though I turned everything off or set it to very long delays/high thresholds.

I have 5 zwave energy reporting devices (1 Aeotec whole house energy meter, 2 Zooz heavy duty plug in outlets, 2 Zooz power strips) that are hard to replace for various reasons. I will review once again the settings, and reapply them just in case, to ensure they are either off or toned down as much as possible. Other than the Homeseer devices freezing up, and recently a few days of mayhem where everything zwave was very unreliable, the network seems to be working fine. While I can't be sure, excluding and re-including 2 or 3 of my WD200 seemed to fix the mayhem. The devices were either frozen or simply dead to the zwave controller but the paddles worked.

I am on 5.13 for the WS200 and 5.14 for the WD200 ever since the firmware was released. I've had devices freeze up a few times in the past but definitely not as frequently as now. The only major difference I can think of is that we have all (2 adults, 2 pre-school kids) been home 24/7 since March so that might explain why we saw a sharp increase in frequency of this issue. Seems like whatever is causing it is happening more frequently because we are here.

Comment

I am discussing this with the factory. If you are currently seeing issues with the WD200 or WS200 can you post which issue you are seeing and include the version of the firmware you are on. Thanks!
        Since your last post, I have reduced possible zwave traffic even further and have disabled the zwave radio in the Hubitat Hub leaving only the ST hub.

I just toured the house and found 4 frozen devices - 2 WD200 dimmers and 2 FC200 fan controllers (so confirmed I am having it with these too but not as frequent as the other devices but... I use them less too). Once I power cycled them, all was good.

Comment

rjh Have you heard anything back from the manufacturer? The frequency of instances is lower with fewer people in the house. It would appear that the issue is related to physically activating the switches/dimmers/etc but I can't say that it is 100% as I found a dimmer locked up that I doubt had been used in a while. The way it happens when I notice it, is always the same... the last instance was my backyard light switch. You press the ON paddle, and you hear a fast double click of the relay and then it is frozen. With the dimmer it is similar as shown in the video I shared above. I am not certain of this, but I got the feeling that when the devices are locked up, I also tend to have zwave mesh network issues in the area (can't tell if it is a consequence, or I discover the frozen device because I am hunting down the zwave issue)

Comment

I just had a switch die as well. WS200. Light just blinks green

Comment

I have not heard back from them yet, but this seems like an isolated issue and I doubt they will have a suggestion. It is really hard to fix an issue when you cannot recreate. I really think your issue is z-wave traffic related. If a z-wave device gets bombarded with z-wave traffic it can overrun the small CPU and the device goes unresponsive. This may not affect all devices as it depends on how the firmware in the device is written.

Do you have the dimmers/switches associated with any other device? (other than the controller)? Are any other devices associated to the switch? (as a destination) In the Z-Wave plugin can go to the node info page and PM me that page? Or if you have a service desk issue open, post it the issue and give me the issue #.

Originally posted by aruffell View Post
              rjh Have you heard anything back from the manufacturer? The frequency of instances is lower with fewer people in the house. It would appear that the issue is related to physically activating the switches/dimmers/etc but I can't say that it is 100% as I found a dimmer locked up that I doubt had been used in a while. The way it happens when I notice it, is always the same... the last instance was my backyard light switch. You press the ON paddle, and you hear a fast double click of the relay and then it is frozen. With the dimmer it is similar as shown in the video I shared above. I am not certain of this, but I got the feeling that when the devices are locked up, I also tend to have zwave mesh network issues in the area (can't tell if it is a consequence, or I discover the frozen device because I am hunting down the zwave issue)
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Does a power cycle bring it back?

Originally posted by mattdb View Post
                I just had a switch die as well. WS200. Light just blinks green

Comment

If you are seeing failed switches, do you have a solar system installed?

Comment

Looks like this is getting some attention finally? I too am still having these locking up issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It did not. I took the switch out and let it set for good couple of hours and bench tested and nada. Just blinking green light. Switch not even a year old.

no solar.

Comment

What are our options for warranty?

Comment

Yes, we will replace it, start your return here:

https://shop.homeseer.com/pages/product-returns

Originally posted by mattdb View Post
                          What are our options for warranty?

Comment

It says invalid order number no matter what I put in the field. ORDER #32345. I tried just the number and every other iteration I could dream up.

Comment

I have not heard back from them yet, but this seems like an isolated issue and I doubt they will have a suggestion. It is really hard to fix an issue when you cannot recreate. I really think your issue is z-wave traffic related. If a z-wave device gets bombarded with z-wave traffic it can overrun the small CPU and the device goes unresponsive. This may not affect all devices as it depends on how the firmware in the device is written.

Do you have the dimmers/switches associated with any other device? (other than the controller)? Are any other devices associated to the switch? (as a destination) In the Z-Wave plugin can go to the node info page and PM me that page? Or if you have a service desk issue open, post it the issue and give me the issue #.
                              Sorry for the late response as I did not get a notification of an answer. However since my last post, I've had quite a few devices lock up even though I have taken many steps to reduce traffic on my network. The only thing that might be causing a bit of traffic is the routine that changes the LEDs to indicate open/closed doors, gates, etc. However, compared to when I first started, performance of the zwave network has stabilized and it is relatively fast (not as fast as the zigbee devices though). I have also refined the routine that updates the LEDs to minimize unnecessary traffic. On top of this I have removed devices that were known to introduce lots of undesired traffic such as the Zooz 4 in 1 sensor.

Anyhow, these past couple days I had a total zwave meltdown where over 40 devices went dead (remote, not local). I found the culprit and it was a WS200 switch that had a blinking LED. Both power cycling and resetting did absolutely nothing. The paddles were no longer switching the relay either. I had to physically remove the switch and my zwave network started working again. Please note I am using SmartThings as a controller and the setup is pretty basic in the sense that only the ST controller can tell the device what to do (no associations or secondary controllers).

Comment

rjh I keep having devices freeze on me most often when all the family is at home so there is higher zwave mesh network traffic. SmartThings engineers took a look and said "If this is similar to the Jasco device issue, it’s a firmware problem on the specific device that manifests itself during heavy network traffic. I’m reasonably confident the issue isn’t related to the DTH or hub firmware. On our end, all we can really tell is that the device often doesn’t send us acknowledgement messages when we send it messages.". All my WS200 switches that were included at the same time after a meltdown of the network have close to 3000 "Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures):".

Hopefully this can help you pinpoint what in the firmware could be causing the issue. I do not know how and if Jasco addressed the issue on their end.

Comment

Working...
                                X