Switch for detached garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch for detached garage

How do these switches perform in a detached garage that is not a finished space, i.e. no heat in the winter.

I have two WS200s in an unheated detached barn. They were installed last October and worked without problem over the New Jersey winter. Lows were in the single digits in Jan/Feb.

I’m more interested to see how they hold up this summer when I expect the temp to rise above 110F.

Cliff

Comment

Update: both WS200s operating normally after 14 months in barn. Peak summer temperature was 134 F, max humidity 83%. Low winter temp ~19 F and 15% humidity.

Comment

Update: both WS200s operating normally after 22 months in barn. Peak temperature so far this summer was again 134 F, max humidity a little lower than last year at 71%.

I'll add that the switches are installed in a standard 4" metal J-box with a Leviton plastic face plate...no special sealing or anything.

These two switches are used infrequently, perhaps 6 times a month. I would expect the duty cycle to have a significant impact on component durability when exposed to extreme temperatures (i.e. outside residential indoor norms).

Comment

I have several WS100's in our garage and in our attic. Garage temp/humidity get above 90 regularly. Attic temps have hit 132. They have been in service and get used several times a week since 2017. No issues so far.

Comment

Long term update: both WS200s operating normally after 46 months. Peak temperature over that period was 136 F, max humidity 80.2.

Duty cycle for one of the switches increased significantly a year and a half ago. It operates 2 times daily.

Comment

Working...
            X