Issue with 4 way switch setup +zooz zen26 on/off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with 4 way switch setup +zooz zen26 on/off

I am brand new to Homeseer and automation all together. I an starting with light switches first and I am loving it so far. I am not sure which topic this should go under, so please let me know if this should be posted in another group.

I have a 4 way switch setup that I can not figure out. Here is lay out. Switch at bottom and top of steps, and one more at end of hall on 2nd floor. These switches control three lights. 2 in upstairs hall, and 1 in entry on main floor by steps.

I have taken all three boxes apart to find what I think is the Main trunk(cable coming from breaker box) which seems to be the upstairs end of hall box.

The downstairs switch gang box only has one 14-3 cable bundle in it. Top of stairs has two pair of 14.3 cables in it. And the last box has three 14-2 cables and one 14-3 cables. After trouble shooting, and a diagram I drew looking at cables (attached I hope to this message lol)

At first I wired it up. Two black cables to the load and line inputs. I pig tailed the extra white wire (which came in box) into the wire nut that had three existing white cables. And the red traveler cable into its jack.

Turned breaker on and if the lights came on. But if I threw either of the other two dumb switches the paddle switch would not work. So I switched the two black cables and the lights just turned on and off real quick until I threw one of the dumb switches to break the circuit. I put it back to the original way. It all works, as long as one of the dumb switches don't get changed.

I unplugged all the cables and used an electric tester to see which cables were hot. The only cables that were hot were the black and red in the 14-3 cables............ None of the black were hot in the 14-2 cables.

What I have figured out (guessing) the 3 14-2 cables are going to the three ceiling lights. I am guessing when house was built, they might have brought the main trunk line from breaker box maybe to a light first? Doesn't make sense as why the red and black are hot? Especially the red traveler cable. Why is that always hot if not power is going to the other two switches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lighting_4_way.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1346947
    Looking at the diagram, Green is the white neutral cables) One pair of the white and black are wire nutted together.

Please assists as to how I can get this to work.

Have you hooked it up per the manual? Based on what you have described it looks like you need to use OPTION 1 with load and line in the same box. Can you post some pics of how you have it wired?

http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/ar...en27-switches/

Comment

Working...
    X