Thinking of Leaving Z-Wave Light Switching For Lutron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Leaving Z-Wave Light Switching For Lutron

We are a Z-Wave installer and user. Over the last couple of months we have had several Z-Wave on/off switches fail both in the field and at our home.
    I was reading this rather old post about Z-Wave lights switch longevity and decided maybe Lutron would be a better light switching product in terms of durability and longevity and then we could bridge the Lutron product over to HS for status and control. As we have never done this before I do have some questions for the very smart and experienced people here.
    Heck, if this is a better way to go, maybe others will think about it.

?-What are the main differences in the Lutron systems and controllers? From what I have gathered, It appears the three systems that are viable for residences are the "Caseta", "RA2 Select" and the "Radio RA2"
    ?-Are there any operational things I can not do with a Lutron system and the three Lutron plugin's HomeSeer is currently offering that I can currently do with Z-Wave lighting products?
    ?-Given the Plugins are pretty expensive (59$-69$) and the extra costs of the Lutron switches and hubs. I am wondering if those extra cost will outweigh the longevity savings.
    ?- Is anyone else currently doing this? What are your thoughts?

Any other thoughts? I do appreciate it

I was thinking the same path! Anyhow, ended buying inovelli red series but did not have time yet to change all my dimmer/switch in my place! Hopefully this will work better then HS considering all the issues I had with it... But I will probably move from HS3 to HS4.. But all my plugins might not work!
    I think Caseta is a good product, RA2 you need to be certified and it need some programming... Was thinking about getting that certification, but trying to register from Canada seems different from USA... I will eventually call them if I can have a break here

Comment

I have one home with RA2. The electrical company that installed the light switches did the programming for $150. Programming is basically naming the switches and assigning them to rooms and registering them with the hub. The Lutron plugin in Homeseer allows me to do any logic I want. I have zwave motion sensors, window shades, and locks that all interface via Homeseer to control the lights. RA2 is expensive but works flawlessly. I have another home that has Both Homseeer zwave light switches and Lutron Caseta switches. Using the Caseta plugin with Homeseer works flawlessly also. Caseta switches are $45 to $59. You program each switch via a phone app. There are Caseta switches for ceiling fans and lights. RA2 is an expensive task. Switches are around $150 each. One very nice feature of all Lutron systems are the use of Pico's These small units have a 10 year battery life and allow you to either add additional light switches anywhere or use them as remotes. Lutron can also be integrated very easy with Sonos and Alexa.Good luck with your decisions

Comment

Working...
      X