Add a switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a switch?

Is it possible to add a second switch to a room that isn't wired for a second switch?

Maybe like a battery operated switch that toggles the main switch?

Yes assuming you are talking about adding a second switch to an existing plate. Use a V2 Fibaro dimmer or switch module behind your switch plate, it will give you the ability to control something else via an event. The second switch doesn't require any extra electrical wires. Fibaro will work with twin and earth (Aus for + - and earth) or twin active (Aus for line and load only).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Cooper Aspire used to make a battery powered Z wave switch- RF9500. Not sure if they're still available. I have a couple and they work well. I think Zooz has one out now- ZEN34

Comment

I'm using the Zooz ZEN34 for a similar purpose. It provides a switch for a closet light plugged into an appliance module. Fraction of a second delay for the light to come on is noticeable though not a problem for me. The ZEN34 also has multi-tap capabilities but I'm not using that feature.
        -Wade

Comment

Thanks! That is exactly what I need!

Comment

Do a direct association with the Z-wave switch and it will be instant.

Comment

Thumbs up for the ZOOZ ZEN34 for this application. I have three of them and they work great. They are cleverly designed to look just like a Decora switch paddle, with a very slim plastic enclosure. They are handy as a remote switch for a nightstand, side table or whatever. They also come with a wall-mounting kit that looks and installs in a wall box or even screws or sticks to a flat wall, and once installed, it magnetically holds the remote switch. It looks like an ordinary Decora wall switch in that configuration.

The only problem with them is that, being battery-operated Z-Wave devices, they go into sleep mode, making initial programming them with events or associations a PITA of quickly clicking the paddles multiple times to wake up and put into pairing mode. Once past that hurdle, they're fine.

Comment

We have the old Cooper RF9500 switches and they’ve been rock solid. I glued the bracket to a concrete pillar in our condo for one of the switches. After 5+ years haven’t even had to change the battery.

Comment

I use a zigbee push button switch along with a toggle event for my garage lights since the switch is just inside the garage door entrance into the house. Super fast and reliable. Batteries last a long time too.
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                  X