Really? No POE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1

I don't buy any cameras that are not POE. Even my Ring doorbells are POE.

-Barry

Comment

PoE is essential. As others have said, the added cost of running power to a camera will typically out strip the cost difference of adding PoE to the camera unit.

PoE 8 port 10/100 switches are ludicrously cheap nowadays. 100Mb is more than sufficient for a security camera, and I suspect a lot of homes wouldn't use more than 8 cameras unless they're using them internally.

Personally, I will never buy a camera that isn't a vandal resistant dome either. The campus I work at has 90+ cameras in our surveillance system and the problem is bullet cams can be pushed off target. Cleaners hit them with brooms so they can take smoke breaks, drunks break in at night and climb drain pipes to pull at the cameras, tradesmen spray paint the lenses when they steal from construction jobs. I
      has to be sealed dome, turrets are no good either.

And finally resolution, needs to be higher. It's not about matching the resolution to the screen you view on. Anyone who's submitted footage to police (happens almost monthly at my work) knows you'll likely be taking crops out of still frames to try and get a face. The higher the res the better, because you're more likely to have a usable face image.

Comment

I guess I don't agree with the sentiment here because these are primarily Wi-Fi cameras and POE (and associated cost) adds no value if you are going to use them in Wi-Fi mode instead of wired. I only use wired POE cameras myself because of the central UPS advantage and easier way to wire power to outdoor locations (and I don't need any more traffic on my Wi-Fi network) but the cameras I buy are POE only and do not try to combine Wi-Fi and POE in the same unit. It would be great if Homeseer expanded the line to include some POE cameras in addition to the Wi-Fi ones but I just don't see making a combo camera that does both. You would be paying for both features while always using only one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
          I guess I don't agree with the sentiment here because these are primarily Wi-Fi cameras and POE (and associated cost) adds no value if you are going to use them in Wi-Fi mode instead of wired. I only use wired POE cameras myself because of the central UPS advantage and easier way to wire power to outdoor locations (and I don't need any more traffic on my Wi-Fi network) but the cameras I buy are POE only and do not try to combine Wi-Fi and POE in the same unit. It would be great if Homeseer expanded the line to include some POE cameras in addition to the Wi-Fi ones but I just don't see making a combo camera that does both. You would be paying for both features while always using only one or the other.
          I get what you're saying. I would rather have a POE camera over a Wifi Camera.
          Thanks,
          Frank

Comment

+1 POE for both indoor and outdoor.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
              It would be great if Homeseer expanded the line to include some POE cameras in addition to the Wi-Fi ones but I just don't see making a combo camera that does both. You would be paying for both features while always using only one or the other.
              Agree.
              -Wade

Comment

All of my cameras are POE for the UPS reason and no need to provide separate power. If you give a camera a constant quality power supply, you don't have to be as concerned about the software being robust when the power fails/falters and it reboots. I'm guessing some of the cameras on the market use SD card memory which can be trouble.

Comment

Same here, no use to me without PoE.
                  Also can we link with HS in addition to a NVR solution? Nice to have it on homeseer but needs to be on my central video system. Can you pair with home seer without resetting?

Comment

Why ? That is the reality of things...

Attached Files

Comment

Another vote for POE. All my current cameras are POE and anything else doesn’t make sense for me.

Comment

It would be great if Homeseer expanded the line to include some POE cameras in addition to the Wi-Fi ones but I just don't see making a combo camera that does both. You would be paying for both features while always using only one or the other.
                        Another great point, I'll take POE, no need for Wi-Fi.

Comment

Another vote for POE. Way easier especially for exterior perimeter cams.
                          My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I too only use POE. I have 2MP and 5MP cams, any new cams I add will be 5MP or higher. I wonder what the results of a poll would be; wifi vs POE, not to mention the preferred resolution.

Comment

Same here, no POE is a no go. Together with the low resolution, it feels like a missed opportunity to me.
                              What is the benefit of using this camera compared to e.g. Hikvision ? Is it only the integration in HS, or is there more ?

Comment

+1 from me, I'll only be buying POE cameras in future

Comment

Working...
                                X