How wide of an angle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How wide of an angle?

The specs don't give the angle of coverage, which is sometime critical to know.

The lens type will give you an indication of the view. Historically they were always 3.6mm. Today you can purchase a fish eye lens (well like the Ring Doorbell), or a variety like 2.1mm, 2.8mm, 3.6mm et al.

Google CCTV lens to angle of view charts.

Looking at one HS camera see: Specs

• Resolution: 1080P (1920 x 1080)
    • Lens: 4mm

Here is a comparison in pictures as to the difference between a 2.8 mm and a 4 mm lens. FOV (field of vision).

2.8 mm view

Click image for larger version

Name:	28mm.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1321124

4 mm view

Click image for larger version

Name:	4mm.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1321125

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks, Pete.

I went through a bunch of this information a couple years ago. I had bought a Q-See camera and was unhappy with the FOV. I ended up ordering about 5 new lenses and replaced the stock lens to get a better view. It was a good experience at the time, but I've more or less forgotten the details. It would be better if the manufacturer just stated the FOV. Most manufacturers claim wide angle, but that can vary from 60 degrees to 130 degrees (examples, not actual numbers) making the wide angle claim useless. I'd just like a stated FOV so I don't have to rely on a verbal claim, and don't have to figure out the calculation myself.

David

Comment

Yeah here have not tinkered much with my IP cameras having settled on Grandstream a few years back.

Just starting to look again and started the same way I did way back...purchasing an IP camera board to tinker with...new features now are:

1 - most are ONVIF (the same now) compatible
        2 - most do H.264 (multiple streams) and JPG captures (but not MJPEG motion)
        3 - optionally now they have cloud services
        4 - free mobile Android or iOS apps for connectivity
        5 - now too they are smart cams and easy to configure.
        6 - you can order them with a variety of lens types
        7 - all of the above now fits on a single 38mm square board. (earlier IP HD cams were 2-3 board set ups).
        8 - you can get 5 megapixel cams now for $50.
        9 - you can get 20 megapixel cams now for $200 (for facial recognition).

The list goes on and on and I am very impressed with the progress and prices of the new generation of IP HD cameras.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X