It's Always Something Isn't It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Always Something Isn't It

Three floodlight sensors to be included into my existing system. I have two z-nets, one at each end of the house. I set out to include them all to the one in the laundry room. But since one of the sensors is not that far from the other z-net, the z-net in the office got the inclusion. Not sure how or why that should happen since I specifically used Z-tool+ using the laundry z-net.

Anyway, all seems fine EXCEPT the one sensor that got included to the office z-net doesn't behave the same. The motion shows OK instead of No Event and when walking through the motion sensor, it does not show motion which the other two do show motion. It does function properly, just no motion detection back to HS3.

All three sensors have the lux and time dials set about half way.

Why should things be different? Both z-nets have the same FW and besides, the hops to the furthest z-net are probably less than the direct line to the closer one. AND I specified the other one.

Exclude and re-include

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
      I set out to include them all to the one in the laundry room. But since one of the sensors is not that far from the other z-net, the z-net in the office got the inclusion. Not sure how or why that should happen since I specifically used Z-tool+ using the laundry z-net.
      Are both of your Z-Nets primary or is one a secondary (inclusion) controller?

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Code:
        Are both of your Z-Nets primary or is one a secondary (inclusion) controller?
        Randy, it's been so long since I've fiddled with z-net stuff, I just don't remember. Something I can check?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 09-08-18 at 07.18 AM.PNG Views:	1 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	1246251

Comment

OK, so each controller is primary on its own network. I don’t see any way one lock could include in a different controller than you wanted it to. With Z-Tool+ putting only one controller in inclusion mode, the device would only include in that controller. I would exclude the device from the incorrect controller, then try inclusion again making sure you have initiated it on the controller with which you want to include it.

The reason for them to have included differently might might be that the one associated with the controller that is further away may not have negotiated correctly during inclusion.

Comment

I suppose I could have accidentally hit the office z-net but I don't think so. I'll try excluding and including and report back. My concern isn't so much which controller it attaches itself to, but rather why the motion sensor result is different.

Comment

Whew! It took an effort to remove the node from the office z-net and get it added to the laundry room z-net. I now have all the child devices as they should be.

Using Z-tool+ I was careful to select the laundry z-net. However, when I go back to the main PC screen and view the controller management tab, it appears that the device is being added to the wrong controller. I've mentioned this previously and just chalked it up to a hiccup, but here it is again. Of course that calls for another thread in a different section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-08-18 at 11.05 AM 001.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1246281Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-08-18 at 11.05 AM.PNG
Views:	148
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1246282

Comment

I don’t know what to say. I have 4 controllers and use Z-Tool+ to include/exclude most items. The controller I pick is always the one that is used. I just moved a device from one controller to another last Sunday. I used Z-Tool last year when I when I added controllers 3 and 4. I’ve never seen it operate on a different controller than I chose.

I am am not sure what I am seeing in your screenshot, because the one for Z-Net Office has text that indicates the backup file is for Z-Net laundry. I honestly have never looked at the controller management page when using Z-Tool.

Comment

This isn't easy to understand so it's not easy to explain. I'm standing outside with Z-tool+ on my phone next to the device I want to include. I select the laundry z-net and click add device. Everything works fine.

If, as a curiosity you click on the controller management page, you'll see the commands z-tool sent to HS3 such as add a device or remove a device. I obviously used the laundry z-net since it is added as a device on that controller. However, the page appears to show the device was added to the office controller. It wasn't, it's just this activity is in the wrong window. The result is correct, the display is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                    This isn't easy to understand so it's not easy to explain. I'm standing outside with Z-tool+ on my phone next to the device I want to include. I select the laundry z-net and click add device. Everything works fine.

If, as a curiosity you click on the controller management page, you'll see the commands z-tool sent to HS3 such as add a device or remove a device. I obviously used the laundry z-net since it is added as a device on that controller. However, the page appears to show the device was added to the office controller. It wasn't, it's just this activity is in the wrong window. The result is correct, the display is incorrect.
                    That may just be an anomaly of the way Z-Tool+ communicates. The web interface pages have no bearing on what Z-Tool is doing, I have never looked at them. It appears that he Office interface shows up first on your interfaces page and Z-Seer just updates the first window, regardless of the controller with which it is communicating. As I wrote above, I have never had a problem with Z-Tool working with a different controller than I choose.

Comment

Working...
                    X