HS-FLS100+ Usage Without Floodlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-FLS100+ Usage Without Floodlights?

I am wondering if anyone has used this device without a floodlight (or any light fixture) attached? In other words, attached to the outside of your home (somehow), but not directly connected to (or controlling) a light fixture?

I read a review at the HomeSeer store where someone said they used one in this fashion (Scott B). I would like to do the same. I have standard light fixtures outside controlled by a light switch inside - something I'd like to keep. I would like to put a number of these motion sensors around the exterior of my home to control lighting, but not sure of a good way to do so (e.g. how to attach?).

For anyone who has done this, could you post some pictures of how you accomplished your installations? I'd really like to get some ideas for my home installation, thanks!

I don't have pictures, but I did exactly what you are looking to do. I mounted a weather proof box that is made for the outside lights and ran a wire from the panel box to the electrical box. I hooked up the sensor using the black (hot) and white (neutral) wires to the same in the sensor. I put a wire nut on the red wire of the sensor because this isn't used since no light fixture.

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
      I don't have pictures, but I did exactly what you are looking to do. I mounted a weather proof box that is made for the outside lights and ran a wire from the panel box to the electrical box. I hooked up the sensor using the black (hot) and white (neutral) wires to the same in the sensor. I put a wire nut on the red wire of the sensor because this isn't used since no light fixture.
      Thanks, that is exactly what I want to do. Looking for different ideas to see what might fit my situation best.

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
        Sounds interesting. Can you share a picture of the sensor so we can see how you built the hood?
        Quote from a different thread. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2524[1].jpg
Views:	270
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1254418Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523[1].jpg
Views:	298
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1254419

This HS-FLS100+ looks across the driveway. The hood is plastic gutter material. I also have another Motion Sensor across the front porch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522[1].jpg
Views:	233
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1254420

Comment

Thanks miamijerry. Those are interesting ideas. Is there another thread where they were posted ("Quote from a different thread")?

Comment

Thanks miamijerry. Those are interesting ideas. Is there another thread where they were posted ("Quote from a different thread")?
            You asked for pictures of the hood in this thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...22#post1254322

But it made more sense to attach the pictures in this thread.

Comment

Thanks, forgot about that thread, at least until someone posts again. :-)

Originally posted by Miamijerry View Post

You asked for pictures of the hood in this thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...22#post1254322

But it made more sense to attach the pictures in this thread.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm looking for something I can mount on the side of my house about 8' high or so along a path from to the front to the back of the house (roof is about 20' high). So I'm looking for some type of weatherproof box - something I could attach the HS-FLS100+ sensor and have it be somewhat adjustable. I found a couple of options, so I hope this helps:

Option 1: Gray IP66 Rated Box With Knockouts

Option 2: Gray Weatherproof Box

Option 2 Maybe With this cover

I know from the product review someone did something similar, so I'm looking for this application around my home.
                Last edited by NetworkGuy; October 24, 2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm looking for something I can mount on the side of my house about 8' high or so along a path from to the back of the house (roof is about 20' high). So I'm looking for some type of weatherproof box - something I could attach the HS-FLS100+ sensor and have it be somewhat adjustable. I found a couple of options, so I hope this helps:

Option 1: Gray IP66 Rated Box With Knockouts

Option 2: Gray Weatherproof Box

Option 2 Maybe With this cover

I know from the product review someone did something similar, so I'm looking for this application around my home.

I used opt 2, the Hubbell round PVC box and a cover fm HD.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gosuna; October 24, 2018, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gosuna View Post

I used opt 2, the Hubbel round PVC box and a cover fm HD.
                    Nice!
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I used opt 2, the Hubbell round PVC box and a cover fm HD.
                      That does look nice - thanks for sharing. And it makes me a bit concerned about the arm connecting to the sensor. In my case I'll have to place it onto lap siding, so the bottom will angle out about 3/4" (maybe a bit less). That means that the sensor will most likely stick out with an upward angle. I would really like to see one additional "joint" on the sensor arm (top probably) so that it can be angled in just about any direction. But your picture is really helpful, thanks!

Anyone else doing something different?

Comment

Could use a different cover, install cover so holes lined up vertically, install sensor in the bottom hole.

Comment

Could use a different cover, install cover so holes lined up vertically, install sensor in the bottom hole.
                          Thanks Gosuna, I had seen that one too, and had the same idea as you about using the bottom hole for a downward angle. I was hoping there may be more ideas out there and others might share what they have also done.

Any takers for sharing additional ideas on how you mounted the new HomeSeer motion sensor (HS-FLS100+) to your home when not installing to an existing lood light assembly?

Comment

Working...
                          X