Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp requirements of flex sensor module

Hi,

I see the suggested micro USB charger module is quite a beefy one. Up to 2.4A, but it also has a standard USB port built into it in addition to the micro cable. Is that really what this device requires, 2.4A? I couldn't locate any info on the flex sensor itself other than 3xAAA or micro USB power. I'd love to be able to use one of my other 2 dozen USB power adapters. Does anyone know what the device itself actually requires? Does the required amperage go up if you daisy chain more water detection cables together?

Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

I can't see where it's more that a few milliamps or it wild kill a battery very quickly. I've got some old micro USB power supplies used to for bluetooth headsets that hopefully would work great.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

That is just the standard USB power supply that HomeSeer ships with things like the Zee S2 and the Z-net. As Timom said it is highly unlikely that that little sensor needs 2+ amps of power.

I suspect that it was just easier to sell the existing USB power supply that HomeSeer already distributes as opposed to adding another smaller USB power supply to their inventory.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize that was already in their inventory. Good to know and thanks! I'll plan to skip that item if/when I purchase one of these. I love the water cable idea. So much better than two tiny contacts. However, $45 is a bit much for a water sensor. So is $10 for 4ft of additional cable. I'll have to wait for a better sale than the $5 off the sensor only.
        HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
        Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
          However, $45 is a bit much for a water sensor. So is $10 for 4ft of additional cable. I'll have to wait for a better sale than the $5 off the sensor only.
          Every water leak issue I have ever had caused well more than $45 or $55 in damage.

Comment

My point is there are much cheaper alternatives, granted they don't cover the area this one can. You could buy 2-3 of the other devices for the price of this one, though, to make up for the difference in coverage ;-) I already have some leak sensors so I understand their worth.

Comment

Working...
            X