Fluid-sensing cable sensitivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid-sensing cable sensitivity

It appears the fluid-sensing cable is wrapped with string and the cables within appear shielded with a braided nylon or other threaded material. This leads me to wonder how long the cable may need to dry out before being able to be reset and sense water again. It also causes me to wonder how saturated the cables need to become before it will report water. Does anyone have any experience with these yet?

Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

I just got the Flex sensor with the water detection cable delivered today.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I wet my finger and put it on the cable. It probably detected after I put two drops of water on it.

Comment

Ok, sounds like it has to soak in a bit. That shouldn't be a problem during an actual leak.

How long did it take to reset itself to "Dry" or whatever it's called for that device?
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I just recently purchased one of these with a 2nd cable to loop around under my washer. When the relative humidity goes above 70% or so, it detects it as water and won't switch back to dry until the humidity decreases again. I'm using the Smartthings device handler with Hubitat, and there's no option to adjust sensitivity.

Unfortunately high humidity is a fact of life here, and I'm using leak sensors to control a water main shutoff. Any thoughts?

Comment

Saw the reaction to high humidity today.
          Had the HS-FS100+ flex sensor sitting in the garage on a workbench, got the leak alarm after I'd opened garage door this morning to the humid outside air.
          Waited a couple of hours before I took the sensor into the house and then the leak alarm cleared in about 10 minutes.

Comment

Gosuna, did you take the device and cable into the house, or just the device? I'm wondering if this is a problem with the cables or the devices.

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              Gosuna, did you take the device and cable into the house, or just the device? I'm wondering if this is a problem with the cables or the devices.
              I brought in both. It was running on battery so that's why it took awhile to clear the alarm.
              Checked it today inside with USB power.
              Put a slightly damp paper towel on the sensor & got the alarm right away, cleared in about a minute which is probably the report interval.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I see in the settings page there is a Light Sensitivity setting. I wonder if there is an unexposed Liquid Sensitivity setting, or if the Light setting can be used to adjust the sensitivity for liquid. I don't think I've experienced this issue yet so I can't test.

Comment

Not to resurrect this discussion, but has anyone figured out a way to adjust the sensitivity of the leak detection? Am also using it in a laundry room to shut a water main in case of a large leak, and the sensor has been tripping with increasing frequency in the absence of obvious liquid water.

Comment

Originally posted by HSAccord View Post
                    Not to resurrect this discussion, but has anyone figured out a way to adjust the sensitivity of the leak detection? Am also using it in a laundry room to shut a water main in case of a large leak, and the sensor has been tripping with increasing frequency in the absence of obvious liquid water.
                    It the sensor is tripping with increasing frequency in the absence of obvious liquid water you might want to open a ticket with HomeSeer. They can't fix the problem if they don't know about. It could even be a malfunctioning device.

I am not sure if the sensing cable provides a binary value to the sensor (i.e. it is either wet or not wet) of if it is some sort of range of values to indicate the level of wetness. If it is a binary value there is probably not much that can be done to adjust the sensitivity as it is either wet/on or dry/off. If it provides a range of values, let's say a resistance based on how wet it is there could probably be some sensitivity adjustment.

I do not know the exact specs of the HomeSeer cable. I do know that other similar types of cables I have researched provide a binary value, either the cable is wet or not wet. If there HomeSeer cable functions like this then there is probably no chance of sensitivity adjustment

I would like to think that the HomeSeer engineers are smart enough to make some sort of sensitivity adjustment if the cable was capably of providing a level of wetness as opposed to just wet or not wet.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
                      I just got the Flex sensor with the water detection cable delivered today.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I wet my finger and put it on the cable. It probably detected after I put two drops of water on it.
                      I dont like these sensors...Ive used others that respond fast..Took way to long for it to detect water .I might have a bad one buy not liking it so far..

Comment

Working...
                      X