HS-MS100 stuck on motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-MS100 stuck on motion

Problem Solved! Must be inches away from the Znet when you do the include.

I just got 3 of these and I can't get any of them to work. I was able to include them and they indicate motion after that one time only. They are stuck on motion. I changed the time out setting to 10 seconds from the default of 600 seconds but it doesn't help. I am running the zwave plug-in 3.0.2.0 and HSPro 3.0.0.531. Is there more detailed instructions somewhere? The instruction sheet that it comes with is woefully short on detail about the settings. What's the secret?

The secret (or more likely something I forgot about) is that when you do an include the device needs to be close to the Zwave controller or else you won't get a complete registration and setting of parameters. That's the case here. I excluded these motion detectors and then re included them with the devices held within inches from the Znet controller. Now they all work as they should. The first time I included them they were 5 feet from the Znet on the other side of a wall. I figured it would be close enough as it has been for other devices but not these motions.

Hi noopara,
    I have the same issue my new HS-MS100+ is stuck on Motion. I excluded it and did an include with it a few inches from the Z-NET as you found. Mine is still stuck on Motion.
    My Z-NET is also brand new. My only Z-Wave device so far. Did you find anything else required to get the Motion Sensor working? I also need to do a factory reset on the HS_MS100+ first before the include or exclude. Now that I have it included I can do the "Test Connectivity" and retrieve the Settings from the motion sensor if I wake it up first,
    I reset the timeout from 600 seconds to 30 seconds and set the polling interval to 1 minute, trying to get it working BUT no luck. I too am interested in better instructions.
    Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

Comment

If the HS-MS100+ is the only Z-Wave device you have you must make sure that it's not to far from your Z-NET. Run the optimize routine for the Z-Net. The more Z-Wave devices you have the better. I have 44 Z-Wave devices spread all over my house so I have a wide mesh without any problems in communicating with any device. The three HS-MS100+ motions that I have are all working ok. The only down side of these is that in a high traffic areas the batteries won't last very long. I have one of them outside under the eve over the back door of my garage to trigger a flood light to come on at night. After a few months the battery is already at 70%. It works for now but will probably eventually fail from weather exposure. I will probably end up replacing it with a hard wired unit.

Comment

Hmm, I have the same problem. Brand new Z-Wave USB stick, 3 new sensors and nothing works. The software does not even pull the battery levels and is stuck in "motion". Will open a ticket with HS and return the junk.

Comment

i bought a dozen of these a while back but only got around to using a couple. Just installed a new one tonight and setup went fine -- until I put the back on and put it on the wall. Then it exhibited "stuck on motion", which led me to this thread. Even with short (20 sec) timeout, it never reset. After an hour or two of of tinkering, I found that WITHOUT the back it worked fine, but WITH the back it failed. SO, i pulled out that little round foam piece that pushes against the battery -- and now it works great.

Not clear exactly why that foam is needed anyway -- the battery plugs in super tight. Also no idea why it would cause an issue -- maybe some mechanical stress on the circuit or something.... But clearly my device doesn't like the foam, so it's gone. Those of you having trouble may want to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGerman View Post
            Hmm, I have the same problem. Brand new Z-Wave USB stick, 3 new sensors and nothing works. The software does not even pull the battery levels and is stuck in "motion". Will open a ticket with HS and return the junk.
            I'm starting to feel the same way...Can't get my cameras setup, none of my motion sensors work properly, support responses are really slow. I was really excited to start this project but didn't expect to fight with everything every step of the way. Only thing that worked out of the box was the SmartStick+ and my leak detector.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. I have 2 of these and had issues with the one that's been running for a year or so now and it got stuck on motion.
              Just changed it out to the "backup" and it has the same issue. I even took out the foam. Didn't make any difference. it's still stuck with a timeout of 5 minutes.
              Seems to me that either something changed and HS doesn't see the no motion or these sensors all decided to quit cooperating all at once all over the world. :P
              Either way... I'm not happy with these sensors. These 2 are replacements for another pair that ate batteries.

Comment

Have two out of three of these motion sensors stuck on motion as well. Set to 30 second timeouts.

pace

Comment

I gave up on them after 4 have failed and picked up the Fibaro eyeball. So far, it's been pretty good except for losing zwave once. Had to reset it.
                  My most reliable motion sensors have been the ecolink brand.

Comment

Have you guys tried to optimise the device( must be done individually because it is a end device, even with usb power)

Comment

Optimizing won't fix a stuck open. Only thing that fixed it was a complete reset.

Comment

I know this thread is 1.5 years old....
                        I am having the "stuck on MOTION" issue with a newly purchased HS-MS100.
                        I have included the unit to my system while the unit was sitting directly on top my downstairs Z-NET, so it was very close to it. Still, the motion detector gets stuck every once in a while on "MOTION". Sometimes it works, other times it gets stuck?

Has there been any other "FIXES" for this unit, since the topic was dropped 1.5 years ago?

Comment

Still have the same problem too. Disappointing cricket sounds from HomeSeer concerning the issues with them. Another cool thing they do after a while is start making high pitch sounds that drive you and your teenagers crazy...

pace

Comment

That is very disappointing to hear. I also submitted a support ticket, but I don't really expect very much from them at this point.

I can add a little more to this thread...

I added a DASHBOARD to my HSBUDDY addon. This dashboard (I called Motion) only shows the status of all my HS-MS100+ motion sensors, as well as the battery level. It will show a clear history of "MOTION" or "NO EVENT" along with a time stamp, so I can keep a watch on them.

So what I have learned is that my understanding of the way the battery operated motion sensors actually worked, was COMPLETELY wrong, and my Homeseer code was based on this incorrect understanding.

I falsely believed the motion sensor would detect motion only once, and report instantly to Homeseer it saw motion. Then, the motion sensor would basically sleep while the timeout counter was running for (example 300 seconds) at the end of this count down or time out period, it would send a no motion signal to Homeseer, and only then, would it be ready to detect motion again.

My HS-MS100+ sensors have an LED on top, and it will only blink once when detecting motion, and then it will not blink again until after the motion time out period, no matter how much you dance in front of the motion sensor. This led me to believe it was sleeping to save battery power, while the timeout counter was active.

This false understanding, led me to create Homeseer code with a separate timer for say 20 minutes. The timer would reset/start whenever Homeseer received a MOTION signal from the sensor. I falsely thought the sensor would timeout in 5 minutes, and then if there was still motion, it would retrigger the event again, and not allow the timer to run out the 20 minutes until there actually was 20 minutes of no motion.

As it turns out, the motion sensor continually detects motion, and this can keep the sensor in the MOTION state continually. It makes it appear as the sensor is STUCK IN MOTION, when it really is not.

SO.... I changed my code in Homeseer, to reflect this new understanding, and my motion sensors started working as expected. The motion sensor I thought was STUCK ON MOTION, is now working correctly.

You mention a high pitch sound, I have not heard this, Perhaps a poor solder joint inside the unit? Maybe try to reflow as many of the solder connections you can, and give it another try?

Another note, The battery doesn't seem to update. All the batteries all show 1-8-2023, the day they were installed. Except the kitchen, it shows 1-14-2023, the day I cleared it, and reinstalled it.

Comment

I just received a new FS-FS100+ and used the android zwave tool to get it added to my HS node network. No problems with the entire sensor thus far.
                              My question is "how do I shut off the beeper?" I don't need motion for this sensor, but can't get the beeper to stop blasting. It's being used as a temperature sensor and I don't need motion.
                              Thanks for your inputs

Comment

Working...
                              X