Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSM200 Motion Sensor Triggered by LED light control changes - new firmware available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSM200 Motion Sensor Triggered by LED light control changes - new firmware available!

I received my first HSM200 units and have been testing them. I am finding that the units motion sensor will be triggered when I send Light Control to the unit for display. I manually control the units color control button through HS3 and find that a color change will trigger the motion sensor to indicate that the location had motion. Going from Off to Yellow seems to trigger almost 100% of the time.

This defect seems to defeat the concept that the unit is multi-function. I can use it as motion sensor or Light color display but not both reliably.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have 4 of the older generation (no screw tab) and have not ever experienced this, and I make heavy use of the LED for notification purposes.

Do all of your units do this? Is there anything nearby that might be reflecting the light and causing it to trip the motion? I wouldn't think light could trip a PIR sensor, but maybe.

Are your devices on the latest firmware?

I vaguely recall having 2 HSM200 devices near one another caused strange behavior, but I don't remember what that behavior was, and I might be confusing that with different devices. Either way, are you trying to operate two near one another or close to another Z-wave device?
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

The units came loaded with V2.3 firmware. I see v2.2 posted at Homeseer.

There are some windows opposite of the two of the units but they are 15 to 22 feet away from the HSM200 devices.

There is another that is facing a stainless steel refrigerator. All exhibited same behavior of triggering motion when changing LED light control.

I would think that the motion sensing sensor operates at a different frequency range that the LED chip.

Comment

Hmm, I'm out of ideas, then. My parents have 4 or 5 of the new gen and are also running 2.3, and are not experiencing this problem, as far as I know. I just logged into their system and last change timestamps seem to confirm this, granted still not definitive.

I would contact HomeSeer to see if they have any ideas. It's possible you received the first few devices from a bad batch.

I haven't had to take any special steps in positioning mine, or my parents', so I doubt that is a problem for you but you could test the theory to rule it out by covering them or placing something between them and the reflective surfaces.
        HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
        Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Homeseer Office appears to be closed based upon their greeting message. Left a second message on their voice mail today.

I have also been experiencing a phantom motion detection during the night from one of my three units. The surprising thing about the time that it detected motion is exactly when the Z-wave flex motion sensor was updating the battery status. The flex sensor likely was communicating through the HSM200 due the distance. I have isolated that unit for tonight and will check results in the morning.

Comment

I have proven that another failure of these devices is that when they communicate Z-wave hop communication such as the flex motion sensor sending battery status or motion changes the HSM200 will trigger that motion has happened when there is no motion in that location. These units are definitely bad.

Comment

I'm not sure this would make a difference, but did you add them securely or non-securely? I'm pretty sure I added mine and my parents' non-securely. That said, your explanation sounds vaguely familiar to me and may have been what I was trying to recall earlier when I had a z wave smoke detector near an hsm200 for a couple days prior to installing it on the ceiling

Comment

Originally posted by degabe View Post
                Homeseer Office appears to be closed based upon their greeting message. Left a second message on their voice mail today.

I have also been experiencing a phantom motion detection during the night from one of my three units. The surprising thing about the time that it detected motion is exactly when the Z-wave flex motion sensor was updating the battery status. The flex sensor likely was communicating through the HSM200 due the distance. I have isolated that unit for tonight and will check results in the morning.
                Most reps are working from home and phone support is limited. If you haven't already done so, please send an email to support@homeseer.com. That will automatically created a support ticket and get you issues in front of one of our support reps.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I continue to have this original problem. I have attempted to log the support email but get no case ID or response from Homeseer. I did get a call from Tyler saying to email him directly but again no further follow up. Why would anyone purchase Zwave stuff from Homeseer with this kind of poor support???

I purchased three of these HSM200 units and they are worthless!

Comment

Originally posted by degabe View Post
                    I continue to have this original problem. I have attempted to log the support email but get no case ID or response from Homeseer. I did get a call from Tyler saying to email him directly but again no further follow up. Why would anyone purchase Zwave stuff from Homeseer with this kind of poor support???

I purchased three of these HSM200 units and they are worthless!
                    That sucks you're still having this problem. You didn't answer my previous question regarding whether they were added securely or non-securely. If you added them securely, try removing and re-adding non-securely.

It seems to me many more people would be having this issue if it were related to the device itself and not your setup. I could definitely be wrong. I have enough z-wave devices around that I would think some are going through one of my 4 HSM200s, but I don't know how to confirm that. All of my HSM200s turn on lights at night when motion is detected, and my LEDs change color often, so I would expect to experience what you describe regularly if it were a device issue. I suppose it's possible nothing is hopping through them but again I don't know how to check for that.

Comment

Thanks for your help on this!

I have removed the three HSM200s and selectively added them back in non-secure. They were previously in secure mode. I have added through the Zwave Controller Management Action list using the action "Add/include a Node Non-Secure".

The failure is still the same. Making a color change triggers the motion sensor).

I only have 2 other Zwave modules. (Flex sensor and Battery Motion sensor (Secure)).

Not sure where to go from here?

Comment

I don't know how to verify this, but I think the only Z-wave devices that I have added securely are my door locks because they required it. Not that I think changing the rest of your devices to non-secure would change anything. Just thought I'd mention it.

I would still stay on HST about all this.

So, you have 2 conditions that cause it to change to Motion, correct? Changing the LED color via the HS3 device list page, plus whenever another Z-wave device hops through it?

I've tried the color changing thing and mine do not change to Motion. Once I figure out how often my Z-wave Fire/CO alarms report heartbeats, I will try to reproduce the hop issue here since I THINK I may have seen that one before.

Comment

Yes, Just wanted to confirm that the Motion is triggered falsely by either a color control change or Zwave Hop.

I documented this in great detail and presented it in my multiple emails to Homeseer support that have gone unanswered since logging the issue in February. I don't even get a case number response assigned through email.

My current test configuration has one HSM200, one HSM100 and one Flex Sensor. The HSM100 hops through the HSM200 causing the motion detection.

The only unit now in secure mode is the flex sensor.

Homeseer really knows how to treat customers!

Comment

I see the same issue with motion being triggered by a color change. I have an event that sets the color to red when the alarm is armed. When this triggers, the light in the garage turns on because the HSM200 out there changes red, which triggers motion, which triggers another even to turn on the light when there's motion.

I have another event that turns off the light after 10 minutes of no motion, so it's not like the light will stay on all night, but it's annoying that every time I arm the alarm the garage lights turn on.

Comment

Great to hear that someone else has seen this issue. I thought I was living in an alternate reality!

HST has ignored this issue for several months.

Windracer, when did you purchase your failing unit?

Comment

Working...
                              X