Another hsm200 'motion in a closet' thread - whats the latest? Sep 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another hsm200 'motion in a closet' thread - whats the latest? Sep 2022

Lots has been written about false positives and I'm getting them too on my 6 HSM200s, rendering them useless at best. I've updated to firmware 2.8, keep the light turned off and have dropped/re-paired them several times. But my test subject is plugged into an outlet in a black closet with nothing going on and it triggers every 10-15 minutes (I have the 1 minute timeout set). So what is going on? Is there any progress on this?

Originally posted by ksdehoff View Post
    Lots has been written about false positives and I'm getting them too on my 6 HSM200s, rendering them useless at best. I've updated to firmware 2.8, keep the light turned off and have dropped/re-paired them several times. But my test subject is plugged into an outlet in a black closet with nothing going on and it triggers every 10-15 minutes (I have the 1 minute timeout set). So what is going on? Is there any progress on this?
    Same here. Firmware 2.8 and false positives for me as well.Mine are useless as well. Sucks for a $50 motion sensor. I don't even use the color part and still false motion.

Comment

I have seen the same thing with mainly just one of mine. It is one that is close to a z-net and I found normally when the issue happens if I check z-seer the hsm200 is setup as a route for another device. So if the other device sends data it causes the HSM200 to trigger. To "fix" it I then change the route of the device that is passing through the HSM200 by either a manual route or normally I just optimize it. Once that is done the problem is temporarily fixed until the routes get updated automatically again in the future. Sometimes it lasts a few days, but lately I've made weeks or even a month without it happening. The other HSM200's I have haven't seemed to have had this problem, but they are quite a distance from the z-net they are connected to so I'm guessing they are less likely to get traffic routed through them. I found that the issue was on the original firmware that came with them and I also upgraded to 2.8 which fixes the issue where it triggers when the led status changes, but this issue with the traffic going through them still happens.

Comment

Mine aren't being routed through other devices (although I've tried that too) but are going direct to the controller. I have optimized, etc. no luck. Still false motion positives.

Comment

Bigstevep -- Are you saying your HSM200s are routed through other devices or that other devices for sure aren't being routed through the HSM200. The issues I see is when another device gets its route setup so it has to use a hop through the HSM200. I check zseer+ to see which devices have 1 or more routes and then have to click on all of them and show the command route and see if any of them updated at some point to use the HSM200 to get to the controller. If I find one I normally just optimize that device and make sure it is no longer being used to get to the controller and so far the issue goes away for a while. I would say since having this new one that is close to the controller I've had to do that 8 to 10 times. We have been doing some home remodeling so a lot of devices have been moved around so I'm guessing that has caused the issue to be more prevalent. Although I've still seen it have several times when I haven't moved or changed anything.

When I first set this new one up several months ago it is close to another zwave motion sensor that reports temp/humidity and such so it was triggering every 2 minutes. That's what helped me find that it was whenever that other device sent an update on one of those reports it would cause the HSM200 to trigger motion and turn the light on that it controls. Once I saw that I started moving stuff around and then found anything that routes through it seems to cause it to happen for me.

Jeff

Comment

No I have the HSM200 routed directly through the controller and while it has many neighbors nothing routes through it back to the controller. I'll look into trying to route a different way.

Comment

I've been troubleshooting a slow network and found a power monitoring plug that apparently was somehow causing very slow response from my zooz motion detectors. After removing this device my HSM200 have started behaving correctly. I've gone two days now with no false positives on any of them, down from at least 3 false positives/hour. I don't understand this interaction between the 'bad' plug and the hsm200 but I'm happy to see it - and letting others know it may be something to look into further

Comment

...Or not so much. After I put alot of time and effort into poking at all devices, optimizing them and manually setting a couple routes I had gotten things to work well. But now three weeks later the problems are returning. It started on one HSM200 and now I've got 3 HSM200 misbehaving. That seems to reinforce comments about getting these into the routing table somehow causing false positives. I hope somehow at homeseer is working the issue

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post
                  No I have the HSM200 routed directly through the controller and while it has many neighbors nothing routes through it back to the controller. I'll look into trying to route a different way.
                  I spent a lot of time getting the HSM200 routed directly to the HS4 device, which seemed to work temporarily. Then it appears HS4 does some kind of optimization and put them in the paths of other devices which returned the false triggers. I finally threw in the towel and gave up (very frustrated). For those who think the HSM200 is a piece of junk, I won't try to change your mind.

While I wouldn't mind getting the HSM200 issue resolved or receive some kind of compensation, at this point they are a sunk cost.

On the other hand, everything else I have from HomeSeer including the support is great and I have no desire to change to another system!

‚Äč

Comment

I would not hold my breath about HS revising the firmware on these things. From all the forum discussions and my own experience it seems pretty clear to me that they don't care enough to spend the time to make them reliable. So while the idea behind the HSM200 of a single device which:

-Provides motion, luminance, and temperature sensing,
                    - doesn't need batteries, and
                    - acts as a repeater

sounds great in theory, this particular implementation of that concept falls far short of it. Because:

- Luminance and temperature sensing will cause false motion triggers unless you upgrade the firmware to v2.8.
                    - the device also will produce false motion triggers whenever a message hops through it.

That second issue is a major major problem because:

- It will work as a repeater, but not as a reliable motion detector at the same time -- unless you can tolerate false motion triggers -- which kinda defeats the purpose, no? And
                    - it can't really ever work reliably as a motion detector, because the z-wave mesh philosophy is that "we know best" when it comes to routing. So even if you manage to convince the network not to route through your HSM200, there is no guarantee that it will not, at some random, future time, decide to start using it as a repeater again anyway.

The best solution I've found to prevent it from routing through an HSM200 is to exclude, and then re-include that device. Excluding makes the controller remove it from the routing table and find other routes. Then when you include it again, generally the controller will tend to continue using those new, alternate routing solutions instead of going back to using the HSM200. But all it takes is one routing table update (or a Last Working Route that goes through it) and bingo! Your HSM200 is sending false triggers again.

Not only that, but when and how often a message hops through the HSM200 is totally dependent on OTHER parts of your network. So the bug is inherently subtle and hard to even diagnose, let alone fix. Very ghosty, very prone to "Well I don't know what fixed it, but it seems to be working now." Until it isn't again.

I have 9 of these; a few are v2.3 and a few are v2.7. Haven't upgraded to 2.8 in part because 2.7 is not available (so I can't downgrade if needed). I can make them work for me, but their ghosty behavior makes them little more than a toy at this point. They do act as a repeater so at least there is that. And if you don't use motion detecting then they are pretty useful as temperature sensors, or tri-color LEDs, or luminance sensors (but not both LED and luminance at the same time!).

The fact that HomeSeer doesn't provide public access to all their firmware revs says something to me right off the bat about their willingness to support these. But unless they eliminate the motion-on-hop bug, these things will always have a reputation for causing more trouble than they solve. Seems like all that would take is to briefly inhibit-motion triggers during a hop (much like v2.8 does with luminance messages). But of course I can't say for sure, since the firmware source is all hush-hush proprietary. And of course they could always release the source code and let the community help them solve the problem (what a concept!). But again, I'm not holding my breath waiting for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X