Archiving Logs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archiving Logs?

I have noticed that the Zee dumps logs at each reboot. I want to keep logs permanently. . .is there a way to send logs to SNMP listener or use traps?

Hi. Did you get an answer on this ?

I'm trying to see what has caused my Zee to shutdown but when I open the log viewer from within homeseer I can only see the events from the last reboot. If you look in /usr/local/HomeSeer/Logs you can see the last 'startup.log' but can't see all the events before the shutdown. Any thoughts ?

Comment

Are you using X10 or just z wave with your unit. I know the unit would be perfect for me, but I just have X10 and not going anywhere. I started getting things set up using CM11, but was not able to use my ACT interface. I only have X10 modules, and thinking about changing them little by little. But after the upgrade we got last week, I cant get X10 to work at all with any of my interfaces. Strange how I had one work before, now nothing. Hoping for something from them to get this fix, but nothing so far. Just was wondering if you was using X10 or Z wave? If X10 maybe tell me how you have yours hooked up and I would try it. I was thinking maybe my update didn't process like it should have.
      Thanks for any info,
      danielbo

Comment

Hi.

I'm only using Zwave in my configuration.

Phill

Comment

No, I have not heard anything. I was originally told it was how things were filtered by default, but I didn't find anything filtered.

Originally posted by Phill View Post
          Hi. Did you get an answer on this ?

I'm trying to see what has caused my Zee to shutdown but when I open the log viewer from within homeseer I can only see the events from the last reboot. If you look in /usr/local/HomeSeer/Logs you can see the last 'startup.log' but can't see all the events before the shutdown. Any thoughts ?

Comment

I don't have a Zee so this may not work ... basing my thoughts on my unix experience. Could you schedule an reoccurring HS event to copy the log file(s) to another file name.

Or use putty/ssh to tail -f the current log redirecting the tail output to another file. You would need to leave your putty/ssh connection running until the Zee error occurs. e.g.
            tail -f /usr/local/HomeSeer/Logs/logfile.log > my_logfile.log

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
            I have noticed that the Zee dumps logs at each reboot. I want to keep logs permanently. . .is there a way to send logs to SNMP listener or use traps?
            Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
            Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
            Number of Devices: 633
            Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.54.0: BLBackup
            2.0.40.0: BLLAN
            3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
            30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
            3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
            3.0.0.87: weatherXML
            3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Hi.

The equivalent of 'homeseer.log' in hs3 (maybe just on the Zee) I believe is actually a database now and not a log file (please correct me if I'm wrong). In this case simply copying (rotating) won't help much.

However thanks to Pete in another thread, we have a way of capturing the log file data that is written to the console by redirecting the startup script as you indicated also into a text file. This works and I've been using it to debug.

To make it more complete a bit of work is needed to rotate the logs at regular intervals.

Phill

Comment

Working...
              X