Remote Desktop for Zee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Desktop for Zee

Any suggestions or ideas for using a remote desktop application with the ZEE. I am a little worried about performance.
    I have used a couple before but not on a Zee.
    Maybe Krdc, RealVNC or Remmina

Thanks for any suggestions !

What is it you want to see?

I utilize ssh and the web gui as my only interface to the Zee.

I have connected the HDMI port to a monitor and utilized the command line prompt; that is all I did though on the Zee.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Remote Desktop

Just a desktop instead of the terminal like interface.
      Some of the Linux tools are easier to use with a desktop.(Installing apps, monitoring updating)
      Not that I haven't been able to get 90% of the what needs done thru SSH (putty) and Webgui

Just wanting to try using the Zee as a desktop to play a game, maybe run an app (Linux Touch client) install things like possibly Media Server or a IR Controller.

The big concern is the performance !

Comment

For those of you wanting to access the desktop, I added a thread about how to do this here:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163612

You can install VNC using apt-get and then access the desktop remotely.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

VNC for ZEE

Thanks Rich !!!

Comment

Another tool you can utilize in wintel for remote desktop is called xming.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

You can run and see the entire desktop or just one application with xming.
            Attached Files
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete

I will giving this at try this week end.

Pete any idea of this tools impact on performance. As Rich mentions they do NOT recommend running the remote desktop stuff full time .

Is this your experience as well ?

Thanks for all the feedback

Comment

Yup; running a desktop and VNC will hit performance a bit.

I am used to using VNC on the HS2 boxes remotely or using the KVM Java applet to get to them. They sit on a shelf and are mostly accessed remotely.

Relating to windows access to the Zee I mostly just SSH to the device and utilize WinSCP and XMing to play a bit with.

I have been goofing around with shutting down the Zee and running a Homeseer remote plugin from the Zee to HS3 Pro on Wintel or Linux and it works just fine.

So I only use XMing when I want to see something in GUI mode desktop or single application; then shut it off.

Goofing a bit I shut down Homeseer on the Zee and ran Homeseer touch using the XMing interface just to see it work.

I have added the Webmin interface to keep an eye on the metrics and running Webmin will ding the performance as well; but that is always running on the Zee; it is a bit lighter than running the gui though.
                Last edited by Pete; December 3, 2013, 01:29 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                X