Buy a Zee, just use as SMART Z-Wave interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a Zee, just use as SMART Z-Wave interface

Anyone using one of these as JUST a Z-Wave interface? I have been considering getting HS3 up and running sooner than later, just so I can have two Z-wave sticks.

Just got an e-mail, $170 for a Zee, which has the stick. This is about $15 more than the Z-Troller! So, I was thinking, I could get one of these, run it on PoE and put the whole box up where I would want the second antenna!

Then using something like Jon00's HS2-HS3 interface scripting, I could use this to finally "fix" my issues that I've been having with my Z-Wave network, where I lose 1 or two nodes here and there...and adding more Z-Wave modules did not help (I've tried QUITE a few things and iterations with this!).

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

It would just be nice to have something that is 100% dedicated to dealing with my Locks.

I'm not sure I want to move my HSTouch over to it...but we'll see how much of what I want to move to it. Seems like aside from my more customized things, this would be a really good solution.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Here I am testing it using what it has (Aeon stick) and a CM11A and a few scripts running on it and Jon's HS2/HS3 interface conduit.

It would just be nice to have something that is 100% dedicated to dealing with my Locks.
      I don't see why not. You can also just run a plugin by itelf on the Zee without HS3 Lite and have it talk to the main mothership; but you are paying for an HS3 Lite version plus the hardware.

One HS2 user on the forum has migrated to using only the HS3 Zee. That said he is transitioning from X10 to Z-Wave with it.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

welp, my Zee is ordered!

My wife will be happy that the next time my WDT Zwave Stick thingy decides to stop working...she won't wake up to a cold house.

:-)

--Dan

Comment

Zee showed up on Saturday. Wow, I am very impressed for the $$, what you get.

Came with Cat5e patch cable, power supply, the Zee and the Z-Stick. Even at $200 it would have been worth the $$. I didn't realize it came with ALL of that.

I had thought that at $200, it was a bit high for just a controller. However, not realizing that it came with so much.

It turned on, and I was actually rather impressed with the "find.homeseer.com" website. That was really nice to use. I didn't have to go digging in my router for what looked like a new IP address. Now it is all assigned. I have not moved the webpage port yet, but that is coming next.

I have some issues with Z-Wave, but it is not because of the Zee - my HS2 install seems to think it is not the primary, so all the buttons the instructions tell me to use...well, they are not there any longer! AHH! I'm guessing I get "30 days" of support with this, so I'll give HS a call and see if they can talk me through getting my nodes transferred over from HS2 to the Zee.

Then, I hope this really solves my issues! I think I want to move JUST my locks first...they are the most ... able to be moved...due to my HVAC script that runs for the Thermostats. After that, it is just a matter of linking my HS2 and the Zee together using Jon's script.

Then of course, the ultimate plan to move everything to HS3.

--Dan

Comment

So, I wanted to update everyone.
            After a quick phone call to HS regarding more details about Z-Wave, I was told to just go into the Zee and have it do the REMOVE on the nodes I am bringing over.

Perform this on each node one at a time:
            -Z-Wave -> pull down -> Remove Node
            -Start
            -At the device click/enable the add node action (button/code/etc.)
            -When that completes without error Pull down -> Add Node
            **if you get an error, repeat the process
            -At the device click/enable the add node action (button/code/etc.)

--Do this for all items porting over

So far, it has worked well for all items except my Schlage Dead Bolt. Although, I think that is a problem with my ability to get it into Program Mode, since my Schlage Lever Lock and Kwickset Lever Lock BOTH ported over easily.

Last thing, the Kwickset programming button and "Node Programming" button are NOT one in the same. The button labeled programming button is ONLY to add/remove codes manually. The button that LOOKS like a plastic clip holding the "instructions" inside the lock - that's the Z-Wave NODE programming button. That took me a few hours to figure out. *sigh*

--Dan

Comment

Thoughts so far:
              *Love how FAST it seems to respond (Vs. my WDT-??? stick)
              *Love how easy it is to operate (once you know what to click/where)
              *Love the device picture area in HS3
              *Do not like the Super Generic Names given to the devices - although not a fault, since I have nothing different to offer as a solution...
              *Love the setup "find.homeseer.com" page. That is really cool!!
              *As I mentioned to the person on the phone, I think that I was unaware that the Zee came with a Z-Stick. I never even bothered to go to the webpage to look at it, since I did not need another controller. I own HS2 and HS3 and run it on my server.
              BUT positioning this as a Super Duper SMART Z-controller - great! Now, even if my HS server is down for any reason, my basic Z-Wave stuff will still work!!

*I deselected the checkbox for "Allow HS to be discovered by UPnP" - now I cannot get into the webpage.

I'll see if I can find it on my network. If not, one more call to HS.

So far, a positive experience. I would like to see how fast it performs unlocking my locks on my front door. HS2 with my WDT could take upwards of 6 seconds to unlock the lever lock automatically. What I mean is:
              you enter the code for the deadbolt. Then manually turn the bolt retractor. Then, wait upwards of 6 seconds for the lever to unlock.

I am hopeful that this will be MUCH MUCH faster.

--Dan

Comment

Hmm...
                find.homeseer.com seems to still think the Zee is at my 0.3 address. Yet, no web browser can access it any longer.
                According to my DHCP server, there is nothing that I am really visually noticing that I do not know what it is...i.e. I think it is using my manually entered address.

--Dan

Comment

I've reached a plateau with my Zee. I'm very impressed that HST is entering this market of having a plug-and-play device. This is truly a feather in their cap. I bought one when it was announced and started moving my zwave stuff over - roughly 50 devices. I have about half of my devices moved over with the remaining devices still on HS2.

Thats where Im stuck

The remaining devices are so closely tied to other plugins that I cant move them. The Zee, in its current form, does not support any other plugins. Most notably, I need X10 RF for palmpads, motion detectors, DS10a sensors, etc. These devices control my ZWave devices through events and scripting. Cant do that on the Zee without BLRF, ACRF or RFXCom.

Then there's HSTouch. I have wall-mounted tablets that use WeatherXML pretty heavily. Cant do that will the Zee. You're stuck with HSTouch Lite so you are stuck with the default HSTouch app, which is functional, but nowhere near the eye-candy it should be.

So, while I do love the Zee, I think I am going to have to move on to another platform in order to get the plugins I need. I am staying with Linux though. The benefits far outweigh anything on the Windows side:
                  --no virus software needed.
                  --no VNC or RDP needed.
                  --no weekly windows updates.
                  --Linux is free - no OS license needed.

I would recommend the Zee to anyone getting into the HA hobby. For the user that needs multiple plugins, multiple lighting technologies and future expansion, its just not quite there yet. Perhaps HST will continue moving in that direction. Who knows - I might go back to a Zee at some point when it supports more plugins.
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                    I've reached a plateau with my Zee. I'm very impressed that HST is entering this market of having a plug-and-play device. This is truly a feather in their cap. I bought one when it was announced and started moving my zwave stuff over - roughly 50 devices. I have about half of my devices moved over with the remaining devices still on HS2.

Thats where Im stuck

The remaining devices are so closely tied to other plugins that I cant move them. The Zee, in its current form, does not support any other plugins. Most notably, I need X10 RF for palmpads, motion detectors, DS10a sensors, etc. These devices control my ZWave devices through events and scripting. Cant do that on the Zee without BLRF, ACRF or RFXCom.

Then there's HSTouch. I have wall-mounted tablets that use WeatherXML pretty heavily. Cant do that will the Zee. You're stuck with HSTouch Lite so you are stuck with the default HSTouch app, which is functional, but nowhere near the eye-candy it should be.

So, while I do love the Zee, I think I am going to have to move on to another platform in order to get the plugins I need. I am staying with Linux though. The benefits far outweigh anything on the Windows side:
                    --no virus software needed.
                    --no VNC or RDP needed.
                    --no weekly windows updates.
                    --Linux is free - no OS license needed.

I would recommend the Zee to anyone getting into the HA hobby. For the user that needs multiple plugins, multiple lighting technologies and future expansion, its just not quite there yet. Perhaps HST will continue moving in that direction. Who knows - I might go back to a Zee at some point when it supports more plugins.
                    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165852

This is a great product when its working. I guess from what you are saying it much be working great with Z wave. But I would like people to know after they read you comment that if you have X10 you might not invest right now. It will be a great product. But it seems like it works great for Z Wave. I have X10 and planty of them, I am happy with them. I see no reason for me to switch to Zwave and the extra expense. I am sure as a X10 goes down, I might replace it with Z wave.
                    danielbo

Comment

I've been following your posts, daneilbo and am glad you're sticking with it with Pete's help. Dont give up - your efforts will no doubt help HST build a better product. I had offered some help a while back, but the posts were removed for some unknown reason.
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        I've been following your posts, daneilbo and am glad you're sticking with it with Pete's help. Dont give up - your efforts will no doubt help HST build a better product. I had offered some help a while back, but the posts were removed for some unknown reason.
                        I do not understand why they would delete your messages. That really sucks, they have not offered any help, then why should they jump in and block someone that is trying to help. Thank you any ways. I do have a couple of people that we are going to try to see if we can get it to work right. Shouldn't take this much of a issue, it should have been right when it was released, not being repaired by the great members of the board. This is what confuses me the most, is why was it released when its not working as promised. I believe its working with Z wave, but it is being advertised to work with X10 and ACT interface and does not. Well let me take this back, with help I was able to get it to work with my CM11 interface. But as all has heard me before, it never worked with ACT, but worked with the CM11 until the new updates started. Then that killed it. Thank you to all the great help that was given from the board to get me back up and running, but cant use any of the new updates. The last two have been bombs for me. Thanks your for trying to help anyways.
                        danielbo

Comment

Our Homeseer setup is fairly straightforward with HS really acting as:-
                          - a time clock for appliances / lights
                          - motion activated lighting
                          - safety for devices accidentally left on
                          - custom web site providing specific information.

We had a hybrid X10 / Zwave setup under HS2 on windows which was working fine for years. However due to a melt down resulting in a neighbour walking into a tree in the front garden (the lights hadn't come on) I needed to rethink the setup. Possibly we'd become too dependant on automation 8-). I returned the house back to manual everything and guess what, the family complained at how much they missed the automation.

So moving to the Zee I've rebuilt my setup, albeit slightly reduced in scope (we have 1 light on the driveway that is not connected to HS just in case of another meltdown). I've managed to squeeze everything onto just Z wave thus removing X10 and simplifying the config.

I'm very pleased with the Zee. Its performing quickly and reliably. There are some differences to the way HS2 controlled the house regardless the family are happy again.

The only complaint at the moment is the performance of the web server. I've not bothered with any custom web pages until the speed of the web server increases which will hopefully be soon.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Zee Edition 3.0.0.55 (Linux)
                          Number of Devices: 38
                          Number of Events: 20
                          Modules/Threads: 47 Modules, 0 Threads
                          HomeSeer Memory Used: 54 Mbytes

Phill

Comment

FYI, HS was SUPER responsive. Same day that I called, they were right on it and have a work around in the works for me to get my web interface back up.

I've apparently help squash a bug! All because I use UPnP in my house for watching my videos...and I just did not want to see my Homeseer Zee (nor my Homeseer itself) showing up under my TV's Media Browser.

As I see this, it is a SUPER smart SUPER stand alone Z-Wave controller. Basically, if my HS system goes down for any reason, my HVAC will STILL run and be properly controlled. Same with the Door Locks. This was EXACTLY what I was actually going to make for myself (using HS Lite and a Rasp-Pi or BeagleBone or something like that). So, HS took care of everything for me, nice.

So far, even with the web interface down, the box is still running like a champ and controlling my HVAC stuff perfectly fine.

If I can use Jon00's script to link that box into my existing HS system, perfect. Put something like Rover or something on so, I can still get specific device values/status returned to me over the web...I can turn this thing into just a HVAC controller that I can setup and "tweak" using HS. Just the way I want, where my Software driven HS system is a MONITOR that helps things...instead of being a single point of failure (bad script, hardware dies, etc.).

Also, I will again note, that the ability of this thing to be put ANYWHERE, due to the size, has finally allowed me to "fix" all my Z-Wave issues. With where it is, I have so far been able to RELIABLY control 2 of my 3 locks. I say 2/3 since I changed the UPnP setting before finishing the addition of the last lock. I'm certain it will connect and work with that lock as soon as I can get in there and control it.

I agree, a real feather in their cap! This is one sweet little box. I still do not think it will ever replace my whole system due to the plugins and hardware I am using. However, as a Z-Wave controller, just sitting there, why not!?

I need to find out how far the scripting interface will go. I really would like to see that Jon00's device linking script can work on this. It would make it SUCH an awesome addon - even for a full blown HS system!

--Dan

Comment

Solution came in as:
                              SSH into the Zee, manually reset the settings.ini value to "re-enable" the UPnP check box.

A fix is apparently going to be added into the next Zee release. Nice.

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X