Procedure for remove and re-inserting the Z-Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Procedure for remove and re-inserting the Z-Stick

I have searched everywhere to try and find the correct procedure for removing the Z-Stick from my Homeseer ZEE to add new devices, and I cant find anything.

I did just pull the Z-Stick form my unit and then plugged it back in once I'd recorded a new device, but this made my system fail. I had to reboot to get it all working again.

Is there an equivalent to the Windows Remove USB Device option on the ZEE?

I had to do this as well when I was using the zstick. Upon plugging it back in, the system would hang. I'm using a ZTroller now and dont have that problem.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      I had to do this as well when I was using the zstick. Upon plugging it back in, the system would hang. I'm using a ZTroller now and dont have that problem.
      The Zee ships with the Z-stick...

(and the Zee does not have a serial port, and sadly for me, there's no EU-version of the Z-troller )
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Yup; here removing the Aeon stick en vivo while Zee is running HS3 hangs HS3.

That said I can lock up HS2/HS3 removing the Z-Troller en vivo via a serial port connection. Always been like this.

The Z-Troller is not a plugnplay device; never has been.

I just accepted that and never unplug it.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Yup; here removing the Aeon stick en vivo while Zee is running HS3 hangs HS3.

That said I can lock up HS2/HS3 removing the Z-Troller en vivo via a serial port connection. Always been like this.

The Z-Troller is not a plugnplay device; never has been.

I just accepted that and never unplug it.
          So what do you do if you want to register a new device and have to take the Z-Stick next to the device?

I'm just looking for the official word on how this should be handled.

Should we shutdown the ZEE before unplugging it?

Comment

The Zee should automatically reboot when the Z-Stick is re-attached. The boot up takes approx 2 minutes. Is this not happening?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Is this not happening?
              Never did for me. I have left the Aeon stick plugged into the Zee. Try it yourself.

I was having to kill the service as it would hang; then reboot the Zee via SSH.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                The Zee should automatically reboot when the Z-Stick is re-attached. The boot up takes approx 2 minutes. Is this not happening?
                I'll try again tonight, but the last time I tried it, I had to reboot manually.

Comment

I had updated the Zee a while ago (whenever new updates were posted).

Looks like it did reboot when I first unplugged the Zee. Took a few minutes to get to the Web interface afterwards.

Tested again logged in via SSH and it will not reboot while I am watching.

Same message over an over via the browser interface.

root@ICS-HS3-Zee:~# tail -f /var/log/syslog
                  Mar 10 10:05:07 ICS-HS3-Zee /USR/SBIN/CRON[3063]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
                  Mar 10 10:05:42 ICS-HS3-Zee kernel: [ 784.486421] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 4
                  Mar 10 10:05:42 ICS-HS3-Zee kernel: [ 784.487124] cp210x ttyUSB1: cp210x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
                  Mar 10 10:05:42 ICS-HS3-Zee kernel: [ 784.487287] cp210x 1-1.2:1.0: device disconnected
                  Nothing afterwards so disconnected the SSH connection.

Mar-10 10:08:56 AM Z-Wave Zee-Stick: Getting node information from controller...
                  Mar-10 10:08:56 AM Z-Wave Error Zee-Stick: The Zee-Stick interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning.
                  Mar-10 10:08:51 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:08:35 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:08:25 AM Z-Wave Zee-Stick: Getting node information from controller...
                  Mar-10 10:08:25 AM Z-Wave Error Zee-Stick: The Zee-Stick interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning.
                  Mar-10 10:08:20 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:12:08 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:11:58 AM Z-Wave Zee-Stick: Getting node information from controller...
                  Mar-10 10:11:57 AM Z-Wave Error Zee-Stick: The Zee-Stick interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning.
                  Mar-10 10:11:52 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Here with no SSH connection the browser HS3 interface just keeps showing the above over and over again. It is not rebooting.

Mar-10 10:19:42 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  It does show the same identical message ....

interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout
                  over and over again.

Plugging the Aeon stick back in and it did reboot the Zee and didn't lock up HS3.

HS3 Zee booting up logs shows it connected once to the Z-Wave stick; then quit with errors and same repetitive message over and over again. It is not reconnecting though on reboot.

Mar-10 10:27:33 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:27:23 AM Z-Wave Zee-Stick: Getting node information from controller...
                  Mar-10 10:27:23 AM Z-Wave Error Zee-Stick: The Zee-Stick interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning.
                  Mar-10 10:27:18 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:27:03 AM Z-Wave Warning Zee-Stick: A Z-Wave command (MEMORY GET ID, Cmd=NO_OPERATION) on interface Zee-Stick is still in progress, 4s to timeout. (15)
                  Mar-10 10:26:53 AM Z-Wave Zee-Stick: Getting node information from controller...
                  So it appears that it doesn't reconnect with the bootup of the Zee for whatever reason.

HS3 though keeps running and its not locking up which is better than before.
                  Last edited by Pete; March 10, 2014, 10:38 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It would still be nice to know what the proper procedure is.
                    Are we just supposed to unplug it, program our devices, plug it back and hope the system reboots?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonNWalker View Post
                      It would still be nice to know what the proper procedure is.
                      Are we just supposed to unplug it, program our devices, plug it back and hope the system reboots?
                      I'll ask Jon in support to check this out. In the meantime, shut down the unit first using the system tools. then detach and re-attach the stick. Then boot up.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                      X