Zee on laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee on laptop

I'm accessing my Zee from home by going through the router with the IP address...192.etc. I access it away from home using "myhomeseer"
    My question is, I am assuming what I view is what is inside the Zee. Is there a program I can download onto my window 7 laptop that would work better?
    Also, I don't really understand a lot of advanced tech talk.

Originally posted by dentbla View Post
    I'm accessing my Zee from home by going through the router with the IP address...192.etc. I access it away from home using "myhomeseer"
    My question is, I am assuming what I view is what is inside the Zee. Is there a program I can download onto my window 7 laptop that would work better?
    Also, I don't really understand a lot of advanced tech talk.
    When you are accessing locally through 192.168. whatever, you are connecting to the web server in the Zee. When you connect through MyHomeSeer you are essentially doing the same thing except there are a few tricks used to access the Zee inside your local network through an external connection. The end result is that it is still eventually connecting to your Zee’s web server at 192.168. whatever.

There is a third method used by some more technical users. Since your home’s modem connects at what is referred to as a dynamic IP address, this means that your IP address may change from time to time as your provider may desire. Many routers support a Dynamic DNS service that constantly reports your home’s IP address to an external service. MyHomeSeer does the same thing. If you had a Dynamic DNS service of your own, you could access your home through an external website that would direct you to the correct IP address of your home. A service such as dyndns.org would give you a name to access your home such as myhome.dyndns.org. Then you would change some settings in your router at home to forward external connections to port 10200 to the same port internally on 192.168. whatever. Then you could point your HSTouch device to myhome.dyndns.org and it would connect to your Zee from and external connection. Many of us also use a similar methodology to access our HomeSeer web pages externally by forwarding an external port to 192.168. whatever port 80 which is the webserver port on your Zee.

The advantage of MyHomeSeer is that it is more secure. The dynamic DNS services described above have some risks and unless you are very knowledgeable technically should probably be avoided to keep your home network more secure.

Hopefully this was technical enough to explain but not so technical you don't understand. The short answer is there is no program for your laptop other than using your browser through external port forwarding.
    Last edited by randy; September 24, 2014, 12:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Very good...thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X