Zee and 2413U for X-10 and Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee and 2413U for X-10 and Insteon

I'm new to Homeseer and hoping someone can comment on my problems. I received a Hometroller Zee about 2 weeks ago. I have an existing X-10 system with about 30 switches, some new Insteon switches, and plans to add Z-wave door locks and t-stats. Over time I plan to replace the X-10 with Insteon or Zwave.

I'm using the 2413U as I thought since it supports X-10 and Insteon it would be all I would need besides the Z stick that comes with the Zee. But now I'm not so sure.

Initially my Zee would just crash when trying to enable the X-10 plug in. Support had me upgrade to 3.0.0.125 and that solved the crashing. However I still can't get X-10 to work. In trying to make it work I noticed behavior that implies the 2413U can't be used for X-10?

Regardless, I switched to trying to get just X-10 working using a CM11A (with a USB to serial adapter) and that doesn't work either - my adapter has Tx/Rx LEDs and they never flicker when I try and send X-10 commands (this is with the Z stick removed, and only X-10 enabled). Log says it's sending and no errors. (X-10 plug in version
    3.0.0.30).

I've updated my initial ticket with support but while I'm waiting I'm hoping someone in the community can tell me if the 2413U can be used with the Zee for X-10 and Insteon? I've read through the forums but so far haven't seen any discussion about that. The literature for the Zee says it supports the 2413U but after re-reading maybe I made a bad assumption? If it doesn't then I guess I need to add a USB hub to support 2413U, CM11A, and the Z stick?

I can't find a cause for X-10 not working using the CM11A; I can't find a communications test from within HS3. I have some timer events in the CM11A that I would want to remove - can't find a way to do that from HS3 either.

I do see older posts here about X-10 problems, but since support had me upgrade I would expect (hope?) I'm on a version where the previous bugs are fixed?

I have about 2 weeks left before the RMA window runs out so if anyone can point me to a solution (while I wait to hear back from support) that would be great.

On the Zee only the CM11A and TI-103 can be used for X10. The 2413U only for Insteon.
    Did you load drivers for the with a USB to serial adapter?
    HomeSeer hasn't offered a way to upload to the CM11A nor clear it's memory for years. The suggestion for clearing it years ago was to load the old X10 software and clear it. If memory serves me correctly the software was ActiveHome.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

@Rupp - thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      On the Zee only the CM11A and TI-103 can be used for X10. The 2413U only for Insteon. .
      Thanks for verifying. Would be good if the Zee product info (or documentation) explained this restriction - I wasted a lot of time on this.

Does the Zee support using a USB hub (so I can plug in the Z stick, 2413, and CM11)? Any brands that is known to work (or to avoid)?

Did you load drivers for the with a USB to serial adapter?.
      I noticed in the boot log:
      MCT U232 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

as well as the plug in manager says "OK" for status - but based on my experience so far I'm thinking "OK" means "well the software didn't crash" and not that something will work...

the HS log shows no errors:
      Sep-28 8:47:13 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in X10
      Sep-28 8:47:12 PM
      Info Initializing CM11A/12U on COM port /dev/ttyUSB0

I've looked all over the menus for a way to test the CM11A can be accessed by the HS app and haven't found anything. I'm new to all of this so I assume I must be overlooking something obvious.

HomeSeer hasn't offered a way to upload to the CM11A nor clear it's memory for years. The suggestion for clearing it years ago was to load the old X10 software and clear it. If memory serves me correctly the software was ActiveHome.
      yeah, I can clear it with ActiveHome. Again though seems like the product lit should explain what they mean when they say it "supports" a 2413 or CM11. I guess the operative work here is "fully".

I noticed in another thread that the X-10 driver needs to be a newer version that what I have (I have 3.0.0.30). OTOH I have a newer version of the HS app, 3.0.0.125, and from reading other posts it seems like everything should match in a particular release?

Comment

Zee with HS 3.0.0.125 with CM-11A not working for X-10

(changed the topic from my prior post now that I know the 2413U PLM isn't supported for X-10. I only have the X-10 plug in enabled, the Z stick is unplugged from the Zee)

I played around a bit more. I'm pretty sure the serial port via USB is OK as if I do a cat foo > /dev/ttyUSB0 the lights on the adapter flicker. OTOH the fact I can do that with HS running makes me wonder as I would expect it to keep the tty device locked.

Anyone know how to make X10 work? Is the 3.0.0.30 X-10 plug-in the right one for the 3.0.0.125 app? If not which one is and how is an update done?

Thanks

Comment

Good question?

Originally posted by Lamabrew View Post
          (changed the topic from my prior post now that I know the 2413U PLM isn't supported for X-10. I only have the X-10 plug in enabled, the Z stick is unplugged from the Zee)

I played around a bit more. I'm pretty sure the serial port via USB is OK as if I do a cat foo > /dev/ttyUSB0 the lights on the adapter flicker. OTOH the fact I can do that with HS running makes me wonder as I would expect it to keep the tty device locked.

Anyone know how to make X10 work? Is the 3.0.0.30 X-10 plug-in the right one for the 3.0.0.125 app? If not which one is and how is an update done?

Thanks

I do not know why we are not getting any up dates of HomeTroller Zee. Mine has been messed up for a while now. It was working fine, use to get excited about updated. Couldn't wait to see what is new, now it like the lottery maybe they have added something new, but what did it mess up from working. They sell you the product, then don't support it. Gave me 30 day of free support, took longer than that to get the issue I had using X10 fixed, and they didn't even fix it, a great guy on the board did. I got no help during my 30 days of free help and I am not paying for help for something that should be working. I am just doing basic operations.
          danielbo

Comment

Working...
          X