Hometroller Zee Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Initially though did shut down HS3 ZeeLite and updated the downloaded build which took a bit of time.
    Okay, I'm getting out of my depth here!! How do I shut down HS3 ZeeLite and update the downloaded build.

The other strange thing is this. With the standard Raspbian image, using startx and the mouse works okay. However, using the HS3-Pi image, mouse doesn't work in startx. Just trying to see if I can configure the WiFi okay without setting it up in HS3-Pi.

EDIT: Gave up trying trial mode. Purchased a licence, and entered that. But still can't get WiFi configured. The WiFi section in Setup is a collapsed section, with no way of entering configuration. I wonder whether the 2 extra USB sockets on a B+ Pi are causing a problem? Neither mouse or WiFi seem to be detected. Maybe I'll trying updating the raspbian system to latest version.

Comment

Ahh....personally only tested desktop on Rasberry Pi Zee once a very long time ago to see if it worked. I have also installed xRDP for Linux and that works fine if I want to see the desk top.

You really don't want to utilize the memory for graphics on a desktop and take away from HS3 using the memory to run headless.

To shut down HS3 just kill the mono service running sshing to the device.

Run TOP and kill the mono service. IE: look at attached picture. I would kill # 2317 to kill the HS3 running if I cannot get to the web part of shutting down HS3.

For an RDP session install this:

sudo apt-get install xrdp

Code:
      ~# apt-get install xrdp
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      The following extra packages will be installed:
        tightvncserver x11-xserver-utils xfonts-base
      Suggested packages:
        tightvnc-java nickle cairo-5c xorg-docs-core
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
        tightvncserver x11-xserver-utils xfonts-base xrdp
      0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
      Need to get 7,400 kB of archives.
      After this operation, 11.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
      Get:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main tightvncserver ar                                              mhf 1.3.9-6.4 [786 kB]
      Get:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main x11-xserver-utils                                               armhf 7.7~3 [181 kB]
      Get:3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main xfonts-base all 1                                              :1.0.3 [6,181 kB]
      Get:4 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main xrdp armhf 0.5.0-                                              2 [252 kB]
      Fetched 7,400 kB in 8s (858 kB/s)
      Selecting previously unselected package tightvncserver.
      (Reading database ... 92821 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking tightvncserver (from .../tightvncserver_1.3.9-6.4_armhf.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package x11-xserver-utils.
      Unpacking x11-xserver-utils (from .../x11-xserver-utils_7.7~3_armhf.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package xfonts-base.
      Unpacking xfonts-base (from .../xfonts-base_1%3a1.0.3_all.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package xrdp.
      Unpacking xrdp (from .../xrdp_0.5.0-2_armhf.deb) ...
      Processing triggers for man-db ...
      Processing triggers for menu ...
      Processing triggers for fontconfig ...
      Setting up tightvncserver (1.3.9-6.4) ...
      update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/tightvncserver to provide /usr/bin/vncserver (vncserver) in auto mode
      update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/Xtightvnc to provide /usr/bin/Xvnc (Xvnc) in auto mode
      update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/tightvncpasswd to provide /usr/bin/vncpasswd (vncpasswd) in auto mode
      Setting up x11-xserver-utils (7.7~3) ...
      Setting up xfonts-base (1:1.0.3) ...
      Setting up xrdp (0.5.0-2) ...
      [....] Generating xrdp RSA keys......
      Generating 512 bit rsa key...

ssl_gen_key_xrdp1 ok

saving to /etc/xrdp/rsakeys.ini

done (done).
      [ ok ] Starting Remote Desktop Protocol server : xrdp sesman.
      Processing triggers for menu ...
      Currently testing a new cutsy (many graphics) wintel for linux boot application which will write and adjust the size of the image to fit on to the SD card. I made a new boot device but I cannot shut off or exit the program (interesting).

Do the xRDP thing and configure the wireless via the remote desktop first before playing with HS3. You can get your mouse to work if you unplug it first then plug it back in. PnP is sort of slow on the Pi. Personally I wouldn't bother with using it with a monitor.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pete; October 6, 2014, 01:01 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Okay, updated my Pi using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade

That's enabled my WiFi dongle to work. So, manually configured the Wifi in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Re-booted, and HS3-Pi is working over Wifi okay.

So, my conclusion. Using the current downloadable from ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/pub/HomeSeer-HS3Pi-Image.zip has the following problems:

1. Can't use it in trial mode.
        2. Need to update Rasbian to get Wifi working on a Pi B+.

Now to see if the X10 interface works okay, and then move onto Z-Wave when my Z-Wave USB arrives.

My setup:

Comment

Next steps...only do this via ssh to the Raspberry Pi. Don't run a terminal session in the GUI plugged into the monitor.

1 - download image again - write it to something else (USB stick?)

2 - boot up with your configured SD card. Shut down Homeseer.

3 - change the memory settings as specified above using the rasberry configuration tool.

3 - plug in the newly created USB stick from the original image.

4 - delete the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory or rename it.

5 - mount the USB stick and copy over the HomeSeer directory from the new stick to the new SD card /usr/local directory. (do a FDISK -l to find out which partition to mount and mount it to /mnt/XXX)

6 - while in the command line prompt go to the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory and type ./go

7 - watch it load Homeseer. Look for the part where it saids trial mode. You should see that. Note that the HomeSeer directory is very portable. You can put it on almost any Linux device with Mono and it runs just fine.

It should go to trial mode. Don't go to the GUI until you see this in the terminal SSH session. Thinking you will also see that there is no settings dot ini file; it will create one.

The Rasberry Pi B+ is not the issue relating to HS3 not running in trial mode.

7/20/2014 9:37:01 AM:[Startup]-> HomeSeer version 3.0.0.106 Edition: HS3 Zee Starting Now

7/20/2014 9:37:05 AM:[Startup]->Creating Speaker Client Interface Object...
          7/20/2014 9:37:05 AM:[Startup]->This version of HomeSeer is not registered and is running as a trial, 29 days remaining.
          Last edited by Pete; October 6, 2014, 01:57 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

So, I'm up and running okay. Just trying to get my CM15 X10 setup. I've followed the instructions at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165526, but I'm confused about which X10 plugins to enable. There are two listed - CM15A and X10. I presume I should use the first of these, or do I need to enable both?

Comment

Yup; here only have the CM11A, TW-523, CP-290, RR-501, MR-26A, W800 and the Volp X10 booster and dual phased TW-523 combo booster to play with.

No CM15 though; never purchased one. Tested only the CM11A, Insteon PLM, Aeon Z-Stick to work with the Zee and it did just fine.

Play away; you can't break anything.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Okay, CM15 now working. I can turn X10 lights on and off via. HS3-Pi - success!!!

Thanks for all the help. I have just one final question. When I enter my latitude in setup, do I need to make it negative if I'm WEST of the Greenwich meridian?

Comment

Good news tarbat (geez what is your name?).

Never paid attention as I set mine to Chicago via the drop downs and my time is in house these days....

Edit the CSV file and manually put in your location (city and location) if you want.

The CSV file named locations.csv in the configuration directory has the country time zones stuff.

Ukraine,Kiev,-30.47,50.50
                  UK-England,Birmingham,1.88,52.48
                  UK-England,London,0.01,51.31
                  UK-Scotland,Aberdeen,2.20,57.20
                  UK-Wales,Aberswyth,4.08,52.42
                  A neato map to look at....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; October 6, 2014, 03:29 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeh, sorry, my name is Christopher. Tarbat refers to where I live - the Tarbat peninsular in northern Scotland.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmahomack

Comment

Very nice place you live at Christopher!

Just shut down HS3 and add this to your CSV File.

UK-Tarbat,Scotland,-5.63,56.97 (Guesstimate)
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yes, I also thought latitude should be negative at my location, but Aberdeen is in the file as positive, but is also west of the Greenwich meridian.

Comment

Here kind of picky about time in general; well and collect clocks.

Playing a bit with trying to add a little mini RTC battery backed up clock to a couple of devices lately (one Intel based and one Arm based).

I do not like that the Raspberry Pi has to get its time from a time server; never did.

BTW nice to meet you Christopher and welcome to the Homeseer forum.

I have been on this forum for a long time. I currently like that Homeseer 3 runs on Linux.

That is me though and my personal opinion.
                          Last edited by Pete; October 6, 2014, 04:09 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

http://www.element14.com/community/d...r-raspberry-pi

Comment

Really much since to worry about the time, if they cant get the interfaces to work. We need Home Troller Zee to work correctly. Such as if you sell an item it should be a item that is plug and play. Home Troller is not one of those units. Which really is the same with mosts of the programs. The only way you will get enjoyment out of these units is to be a programmer. I think this is something that should be in the description. The thing is says it does, is mostly the things they want help to make it do. I am not the one to do this. I was hoping when I made the purchase I would enter my events, use the interfaces that is says that it works with and the last of it. Some times someone will get a good idea do add something new to it, and have a update. This is a update, not something to ruin what you had working.
                              I can understand that everyone does things different and they can not make sure the system is going to work every way to please everyone. But when there is an issue, that issue should take top priority. So this way, the customer who bought the unit to automate the home, can continue to use it. If the fix can not be found right away, then pull the upgrade, allow the customer to get back on line. When the problem is fixed then re relist it.
                              Its like a virus protection, you pay big bucks for it and find out it didn't work. You would be mad, because you do not want to take the time to research what is wrong with the program. They make sure that program is working.
                              I consider the purchase of a Home Troller as a big purchase software, maybe those how have the money, sees it as a unit they can play around with the programing, such as Pete is doing. I don't have the time and didn't buy it for that reason and no where was it noted it is under testing phase.
                              I have a big dollar software purchase that we run our business with, if this program goes down, we are down and the program is no use to us. So when they do an upgrade, that upgrade better be working correctly. We have had this program for many of years, but I have had homeseer a lot longer. I our business software comes out with a new release, and we find an error, they will pull that release or send you a corrected upgrade, even the corrected upgrade will not do the feature the was hoping to work. I don't care about a new feature, if I can not use the program.
                              I would like to see homeseer retract the upgrade 3.0.0.106, convert back to the last upgrade that was working correctly, instead of leaving some of us that depend on the program dead for 3 or 4 months, might even be going on longer.
                              So we are going to have the person that knows it all about programing come back to me and say, why don't you go back to the previous program? I would if I knew how. Or we will have the ones to say, you should back up the program, incase it didn't work you can revert back. This I thought I was doing. I had thought I could FTP the complete program and mirror that. Which some people might not know how to do this much. Well I thought I knew how because what I did back up, and used the backup within the program. It did not put me back to where I was.
                              On plus with HS2 and maybe HS3 had a program built in to revert back to the program you was using and working.
                              I am confused on why Homeseer has time to create an new unit, but has not been able to get the unit they had all ready sold to work. People who has the money will purchase the new unit that I am sure is working and great and use the Zee to play with. Then you have some of use who can not afford to do this. I have a homeseer zee unit that does not work, that I purchased less then a year ago, maybe within the last 6 months. It is sitting there doing nothing.
                              I bet I supported X10 and Homeseer since they came out. But since I will not convert to a z unit or system, I am out of luck. But the people who owns X10 units is who got you to this point.
                              I have had to completely reset the HomeTroller Zee to the start, re enter all the units, and events. I currently no in the best of heath and do not feel like most of the time to do this.
                              So sorry for being so hateful, but today is a day, that I am down and so are the lights that should be on. So for those that do not speak up and just purchase something else. Well I am here to say I am not.
                              If my unit can not be fixed or replaced, I guess other steps have to be taken. You might ask why bring this to the board. Because I am not paying to voice my opinion on the help desk, which is the only way you can get in touch with them is if you pay. I should not have to pay to get something I have already paid for to work.
                              This will be the last you will hear from me, I will remove myself from the board, watch for a fix a little longer. Why wait a little longer before getting other help, well its just the way I am.
                              Pete had helped me when I first purchased the unit, no one else bothered. Then we have the ones that tries to show there intelligent buy telling thing to do that you have no idea what that even is. I did not buy homeseer to study, I bought it to use.
                              danielbo

Comment

So, with help, I'm up and running. So, to answer my initial questions:

Can the HS3-Pi software read the status of switches on an X10 Slimline Wireless Switch SS13A?
                                YES. The CM15 plugin correctly detects the CM15 Receive command. Interestingly, this DOESN'T work on the PC version of HS3 - see http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170455

Can I download the HS3-Pi software and try it out before buying - is there a 30 day trial on the HS3-Pi software?
                                Not without some work. The download includes a SETTINGS.INI file that contains the keyword gFirstTimeRun=False. You need to change this to TRUE to get it working. Presumably, Homeseer don't want people downloading HS3-Pi to their Pi as a trial version.

If I want wireless networking, do I have to use the Homeseer specific Wifi Adaptor, or will any Blackberry Pi compatible WiFi adaptor work okay?
                                Well, the WiPi adaptor works okay.

Does HS3-Pi work okay on a B+ Pi?
                                Yes, but again with some work required. I had to do a full Raspbian update (sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade) to get both the CM15 and WiFi working. I also manually configured the WiFi settings in the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

By far the hardest problem to resolve was the fact that the HS3-Pi image download is 7.46GB in size, whereas many so-called 8GB microSD cards are only 7.3GB, including the official Raspberry Pi Noobs microSD card that comes with the Pi B+ starter kit. In my opinion, Homeseer should reduce the size of their download image to 7GB - after all, the actual file system only requires about 2.5GB.

Anyway, I'm up and running and currently defining my X10 devices and events, before moving on to the new Z-Wave kit that should arrive soon.

The one advantage of using a Pi B+ is that I have 4 USB sockets, which I'm hoping have enough to power the CM15 interface, the Z-Stick, and the WiFi dongle.

Comment

Working...
                                X