Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Zee right for me?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is the Zee right for me?

    I am looking to put a small setup into a rental property mainly for monitoring purposes since I do not get to the property all that often. What I am thinking is pretty much all Z-wave with things like Flood Sensors, Smoke Detectors, Aeon labs multi sensors, things like that.

    I may put a couple of automated switches in for use when no one is there, but the only thing I can think of that will not be z-wave is the thermostat, which will be a nest.

    Thoughts on whether or not a Zee is the right platform?

    #2
    It should work but the Zee requires a bit more technical ability to get up and running successfully. So only you can answer this part but I would recommend getting one and giving it a go.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      I thought you couldn't run plugins on the Zee? If so, nest integration would be out, or are you going to keep nest separate and not tie it to the HA system?

      Comment


        #4
        I know that some of the plugins can run on the Zee, but you are correct. As of now the Nest plugin only runs on Windows. I am hoping that Spud will port it to the Zee after a while and then I can use it to tie the systems together.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          It should work but the Zee requires a bit more technical ability to get up and running successfully. So only you can answer this part but I would recommend getting one and giving it a go.
          Actually, the Zee is plug and play. It is simple to setup and run. No technical abilities required except plugging it in and setting up HS.
          HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
          79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
          Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
          Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            Actually, the Zee is plug and play. It is simple to setup and run. No technical abilities required except plugging it in and setting up HS.
            Yea, tell that to the uses that we support via the help desk on a daily bases. For many it is plug and play for others there appears to be a large learning curve.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Yea, tell that to the uses that we support via the help desk on a daily bases. For many it is plug and play for others there appears to be a large learning curve.
              Interesting. When I click on the Zee banner to the right, then click the #1 Home Automation system for 2014, it scored 98% in Ease of Use?
              HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
              79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
              Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
              Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                Interesting. When I click on the Zee banner to the right, then click the #1 Home Automation system for 2014, it scored 98% in Ease of Use?
                That's a good score We want to get to 100%
                -Rupp
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by chewie View Post
                  I know that some of the plugins can run on the Zee, but you are correct. As of now the Nest plugin only runs on Windows. I am hoping that Spud will port it to the Zee after a while and then I can use it to tie the systems together.
                  I will port the Nest plugin to Linux, but right now the HS3 version installed on the Zee is a modified version of the HS3 Linux version in which plugins are dll instead of exe. HST hasn't documented a way to port plugins for this version, so right now no third party plugins can run on the Zee.

                  That being said it's possible to install the full HS3 Linux version on the Zee, but it's a bit more technical...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    To clarify, the Zee runs a variant of HS3. The device mgmt and event features are the same as those shared by our other systems. If you know HS3, you already know how to run a Zee. Setup is pretty simple; just follow the quick-start guide.

                    The only additional technical know-how required comes into play if you need to restore the SD card or wish to participate in a beta... then, you'll be using a command line tool (putty).

                    Apart from that, don't let Rupp scare you!
                    Learn About HomeSeer

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by macromark View Post
                      To clarify, the Zee runs a variant of HS3. The device mgmt and event features are the same as those shared by our other systems. If you know HS3, you already know how to run a Zee. Setup is pretty simple; just follow the quick-start guide.

                      The only additional technical know-how required comes into play if you need to restore the SD card or wish to participate in a beta... then, you'll be using a command line tool (putty).

                      Apart from that, don't let Rupp scare you!
                      Thanks Mark, I was a little taken-back by needing more technical abilities to setup when the opposite is actually true. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Zee in the year I've had it. It is very simple to setup and get it running quickly.
                      HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
                      79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
                      Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
                      Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
                      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yah; here got HS3 Pro to run on the Zee using the Rasberry Pi configuration program which I didn't know about.

                        But that is me not reading what Rich had written previously about expanding the space on the SD using same utility.

                        I did it the long way taking the SD out and doing it with GParted.

                        I am not sure if that was what did it though; guessing it was now cuz its working.

                        Earlier attempts at running HS3 Pro on the Zee (Rasberry Pi) didn't work; even with the hard float configured OS.

                        I think I tried to run HS3 Pro on it when the Linux version was first released. The HS3 Lite version ran on everything Linux that I tried.

                        BTW I do not know when my set up changed or if it changed from soft float to hard float.

                        I did though always check on updates and did update OS from the beginning of using it.

                        Two changes

                        1 - Overclocked the Rasberry Pi to 900Mhz from base CPU speed of 700Mhz
                        2 - shifted the split in graphics memory giving it 16Mb as I never use a monitor anyways with the Zee.

                        I just renamed the Homeseer 3 Zee directory to something else and copied over the Homeseer 3 Pro Linux running directory.

                        Do a reboot now loads up HS3 Pro instead of HS3 Lite for Zee.

                        BTW Here utilize SSH / WinSCP / xRDP on Wintel for playing with files and concurrently use similiar tools plus GParted on my Ubuntu 14.04 boxes. Sometimes do both using VM windows in either Ubuntu / Wintel; neato stuff you can play with. Well to and another program I use that lets you run Linux programs in x windows via an SSH connection on a wintel box for graphical linux applications stuff.

                        None the less; you don't need any graphical interface or GUI to run Homeseer 3 so why bother with it anyways.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; October 9, 2014, 10:20 AM.
                        - Pete

                        Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
                        Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
                        HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

                        X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                          Thanks Mark, I was a little taken-back by needing more technical abilities to setup when the opposite is actually true. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Zee in the year I've had it. It is very simple to setup and get it running quickly.
                          Rupp is our triage wizard for the helpdesk so he gets to field the tickets as they come in. If I did that myself, I would likely develop a similar perception! Remember that NO ONE submits a ticket when their system is working just fine, so Rupp doesn't get to hear from those folks.

                          Plus... as home automation continues to "blow up" in popularity and more and more inexpensive systems continue to be introduced (almost weekly now), a significant number of non-technical users are starting to enter the market... and many of them are gravitating towards the Zee. This factor alone has been increasing our support traffic.
                          Learn About HomeSeer

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I've had no issues playing with the Zee since it I purchased it a while ago.

                            I think you should rename the Zee to ZeeLiTe or just HS3-RPi or HS3ZeeLiTe-RPi or HomeSeer3ZeeLiTe4RPi

                            Most folks still assume it can run any plugin unless they read the description.

                            I was and have run regular HS3 Pro plugins on the Zee remotely connecting to the HS3 Pro box in Linux concurrent with the ZeeLiTe. Works fine.
                            - Pete

                            Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
                            Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
                            HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

                            X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              I've had no issues playing with the Zee since it I purchased it a while ago.

                              I think you should rename the Zee to ZeeLiTe or just HS3-RPi or HS3ZeeLiTe-RPi or HomeSeer3ZeeLiTe4RPi

                              Most folks still assume it can run any plugin unless they read the description.

                              I was and have run regular HS3 Pro plugins on the Zee remotely connecting to the HS3 Pro box in Linux concurrent with the ZeeLiTe. Works fine.
                              The issue with running extra plug-ins on the Zee is RAM.
                              Learn About HomeSeer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X