No announcement yet.

Is the Zee right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then is that why Rich mentioned something about a 1Gb of?

Is there an Arm CPU Raspberry Pi like device with this around today that Rich is playing with?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Its also worth considering whether to get a Zee, or buy a Raspberry Pi separately and then buy a licence for HS3-Pi.

The advantage of buying the Pi and HS3-Pi software separately is that you can get the latest B+ Pi which has 4 USB sockets and much better power management. For me, being able to use 4 USB sockets was a big plus, with CM15, Z-Wave, and WiFi to plug into the Pi. No need for a separate powered USB hub.

Of course, it's more complicated doing it yourself

Comment

Christopher,

Is there a way to read the power draw in mA on the USB ports using the OS?

Yeah I have a mini USB hub connected to one port on the microrouter and I can toast bread on it today.

Thinking most of the higher power draws come from the USB WiFi stick or USB 3G Modem stuff.
        Last edited by Pete; October 9, 2014, 12:25 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I don't think the OS can report actual power used by the USB ports. You can see what each device reports as it's maximum current, using the command:
          usb-devices

homeseer@HomeTrollerZEE ~ $ usb-devices
          <snip>
          T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=02 Cnt=02 Dev#= 4 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
          D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
          P: Vendor=0bc7 ProdID=0001 Rev=01.00
          S: Manufacturer=X10 Wireless Technology Inc
          S: Product=USB ActiveHome Interface
          C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=2mA
          I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbfs

T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=04 Cnt=03 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
          D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
          P: Vendor=148f ProdID=5370 Rev=01.01
          S: Manufacturer=Ralink
          S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
          S: SerialNumber=1.0
          C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=450mA
          I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=rt2800usb

From this you'll see that my WiFi USB dongle claims to use 450mA maximum, and the CM15 only 2mA. On the B+ Pi you can configure it to provide a maximum of 1.2A in total to the 4 USB ports, although as standard it's configured to only provide 600mA.

Comment

Thank-you Christopher.

Changed the V to A in the above post.

Seems that I can only find that RTC clock you used in the UK doing a quickie search. There are a bunch out there in internetlandia.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just to check, the Zee supports the JSON interface correct? If so then I have found a work around for not having Nest plugin support in the Zee.

Comment

Supported interfaces on the Zee (HS3-Pi)

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                  Just to check, the Zee supports the JSON interface correct? If so then I have found a work around for not having Nest plugin support in the Zee.
                  Yes. It does.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Awesome, thanks again guys!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbat View Post
                      Supported interfaces on the Zee (HS3-Pi)

Thanks for the overview, wish I would have seen it before buying the Zee .

Was hoping to use it as my main controller since I needed to replace my old mini pc (no auto start after power failure, bios update only available for one version higher of pcb).
                      Never realised it would have almost zero plugin support, and was hoping that - if it wasn't powerful enough - I could use it as a device to extend my z-wave network like the Hometroller did. No way, so it's useless to me.

So mine is going up for sale after a week of fiddling around with it.

Next project: just received a new Shuttle mini pc, now the question is: Linux or Wintel?

Comment

Linux - this is my personal opinion. (I use both Wintel and Linux and BSD OS's for a variety of stuff).

I have two Wintel 32bit boxes running Homeseer 2 today.

1 box running Homeseer 3 Pro on a "lite" Ubuntu 64bit build and the Homeseer Zee.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I just got a reply through the helpdesk, apparently the Zee supports REST? I was told to try asking on here for help with it.

Anyone on here use this to talk to the Zee? From poking around, I found a few threads that seem to hint at it, but nothing that would give me (a hardware guy) a guide to write something to talk to the Zee. Anyone have an example?

I typically use this site as well as the Homeseer help documents (for HS specific calls) to write my scripts.
                          http://www.w3schools.com/vbscript/

Any guidance?

--Dan
                          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                            I just got a reply through the helpdesk, apparently the Zee supports REST? I was told to try asking on here for help with it.

Anyone on here use this to talk to the Zee? From poking around, I found a few threads that seem to hint at it, but nothing that would give me (a hardware guy) a guide to write something to talk to the Zee. Anyone have an example?

I typically use this site as well as the Homeseer help documents (for HS specific calls) to write my scripts.
                            http://www.w3schools.com/vbscript/

Any guidance?

--Dan
                            Not exactly. REST will work if you load up that REST package provided by one of the other users. JSON work better on the zee and is much faster.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Comment

HS3's Rest interface returns JSON. Rest is the API and JSON is the format.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Ah - I stand corrected. I was referencing the RESTful XML project that another user had worked on. It was much too slow for the Zee.

Comment

Working...
                                X