Supported Z-Wave device list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Z-Wave device list?

Is there one? Google is not my friend...

I'm playing with a VeraLite right now, but to be honest, I'm not happy with it - seems very immature and not terribly flexible unless I learn LUA+ it's LUUP API.

I like a bit of programming, but if I wanted to program everything to get anything interesting done, I might as well get a RaZberry Pi setup.

HomeSeer looks more polished with a better "getting ordinary stuff done easily" approach.

The other question is *if* I really needed to, is there any scripting support in the Zee (the cheapest one)? For edge cases that exceed the GUI's capabilities...

Under UK law I have the option to return my VeraLite in the next 7 days for a full refund, so I'm doing a bit of research

Many thanks,

Tim

Originally posted by TimJWatts View Post
    Is there one? Google is not my friend...

I'm playing with a VeraLite right now, but to be honest, I'm not happy with it - seems very immature and not terribly flexible unless I learn LUA+ it's LUUP API.

I like a bit of programming, but if I wanted to program everything to get anything interesting done, I might as well get a RaZberry Pi setup.

HomeSeer looks more polished with a better "getting ordinary stuff done easily" approach.

The other question is *if* I really needed to, is there any scripting support in the Zee (the cheapest one)? For edge cases that exceed the GUI's capabilities...

Under UK law I have the option to return my VeraLite in the next 7 days for a full refund, so I'm doing a bit of research

Many thanks,

Tim
    Welcome to HomeSeer and Automation.

HS is certainly the more polished product. However all products will not work with it. I suggest you search and read this BBS a bit more as Home Automation is not as simple as it appears.

If you wish to continue down the HomeSeer root I would advise return the unit, get your money back, as you are going to spend a lot more on decent stuff.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Thanks Gogs.

But "more" - the Zee is pretty cheap too - I know it's bottom end, but that's OK as long as it's not massively deficient. Looking to run about 10 devices max.

Is there any reason to avoid it?

The devices I had in mind are the two:

Aeon Labs 4-1 Multisensor - googling *suggests* that works;

TKB TZ88 switched socket adaptor with power meter (happily available in 13A UK format).

The former just for logging temperatures and humidity inside and out - and the sockets for running some electric heaters on a flexible schedule and logging power.

Comment

I don't think there's an official supported list because I believe HomeSeer's policy is to support any certified Zwave device. You can always check the z-wave.com site to make sure the device you want is certified by the Z-Wave Alliance. In theory, any certified Z-Wave device should work with HomeSeer without issue.

For what it is worth, I have purchased a bunch of ZWave devices from different manufacturers (Aeon, GE, Jasco, Evolve, Kwikset etc.) and haven't run into a problem yet getting them to work. There seem to be many people in the forums that have 100+ Z-Wave devices.

I think it's fair to say that HomeSeer has very good support for ZWave based devices in general, as good if not better than any other player in the home automation space. This high level of Z-Wave compatibility/support has to do with the fact that HomeSeer made a decision to support ZWave as its preferred wireless protocol awhile back. That's why Z-Wave is integrated directly into the core software as opposed to other wireless standards (such as insteon) which are mostly supported via plug-ins.

That's not to say there are no issues with Z-Wave devices, but HomeSeer seems firmly committed to fixing issues when they arise (which you can see when you look at the HS change logs) given Z-Wave's status as HomeSeer's preferred wireless protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBurn View Post
          That's why Z-Wave is integrated directly into the core software as opposed to other wireless standards (such as insteon) which are mostly supported via plug-ins.
          As an FYI, this was true with HS2, but with HS3, z-wave is now also a plugin and no longer in the core app.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thank you Bill and Sparkman -

That's very useful, re: the certified list.

I suspect that Homeseer might still have a preference towards Z-Wave, but they've done The Right Thing(TM) by making it's interface to the core clean and uniform along with the other plugins - as opposed to being a special case and full internalised.

Comment

Working...
            X