Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Zee communicate with my HS3PRO system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Zee communicate with my HS3PRO system?

Not sure this is stated correctly, but here is what I'd like to do. I have a couple of detached structures that I control with X-10. I have been slowly switching to Z-wave in the house, but haven't been able to bridge the open air between the house and the garage. I have ethernet to the garage and could do the serial over ethernet and Z-troller solution. But for about the same (or less money) I could buy a Zee and setup a separate Z-wave network in the garage.

I would still want the house system (HS3Pro) to be able to control the garage and hence the need to be able to send/receive commands to/from the Zee.

To be honest, I'm also looking for a reason to buy a Zee. But I do need to found a solution to my Z-wave problem.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Barry

The Zee can received JSON commands and control devices. It might take a little longer to setup, but it's do-able.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks. I'm guessing that if I'm serious about expanding the Z-wave network, I should go the traditional route. However, I like the idea of the Zee controlling my outbuildings subsystems. Am toying with the idea of a Zee as a Christmas present.

I don't have any JSON experience or knowledge. I was a programmer in the last century, so might be able to figure it out.

Would be interested with other's experiences.

Barry

Comment

You can also just run a HS3 plugin (well like Z-Wave) on the Zee and communicate to the mothership HS3 box. This would allow you to place the Z-Wave controller in the outbuilding. You would see it on the Homeseer 3 box as just another Z-Wave controller. You can also do this with X10 or UPB or Insteon. The Zee comes with an Aeon Z-Wave stick.

The outbuilding would be on a separate Z-wave network and you could integrate this into your main HS3 box. You can also start initially with X-10 then migrate over to Z-Wave controlling it all locally.

To date I have tested running plugins remotely on the Zee, ZeeLite HS3 and HS3 Pro for Linux. They all work fine. Here currently running Z-Wave on Homeseer, HAI OPII and recently the Almond +. They all work autonomously just fine. HS3 / HAI Plugin can talk to X10, Z-Wave and UPB via Homeseer. HS3 can talk X10, Insteon, Z-Wave and UPB today.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          You can also just run a HS3 plugin (well like Z-Wave) on the Zee and communicate to the mothership HS3 box. This would allow you to place the Z-Wave controller in the outbuilding. You would see it on the Homeseer 3 box as just another Z-Wave controller. You can also do this with X10 or UPB or Insteon. The Zee comes with an Aeon Z-Wave stick.

The outbuilding would be on a separate Z-wave network and you could integrate this into your main HS3 box. You can also start initially with X-10 then migrate over to Z-Wave controlling it all locally.

To date I have tested running plugins remotely on the Zee, ZeeLite HS3 and HS3 Pro for Linux. They all work fine. Here currently running Z-Wave on Homeseer, HAI OPII and recently the Almond +. They all work autonomously just fine. HS3 / HAI Plugin can talk to X10, Z-Wave and UPB via Homeseer. HS3 can talk X10, Insteon, Z-Wave and UPB today.
          That sounds perfect - exactly what I want to do! I'm sure I'll need some help, once I have all the pieces in hand. There is a house rule which states that "thou shall not purchase gifts for one's self in the 6 weeks before Christmas". So I may have to wait

I was hoping you might have already accomplished this, since I've read many of the threads on the Zee. But I didn't find anything specific in my searches. On the other hand, I'm not sure I stated the question/search criteria correctly.

Also, not sure that I understand HS3/HS3Pro and the running of plugins remotely. Think I need to go back to the beginning and see if there is something in the documentation.

Thanks!
          Barry

Comment

@Barry,

The HS3 ZeeLite is just that; a lite version of HS3. This would provide you with another HS3 license (well a lite HS3).

Jon's remote HS3 to HS3 plugin also would work creating inter HS3 variables and events.

HST should come up with a plugin which manages a sibling HS3 machine like maybe the Zee or multiple Zees.

HS3 mothership = = > running a HS3 conduit / plugin that would talk to other HS3 boxes
            Remote HS3 lite or pro = = > remote box #1
            Remote HS3 lite or pro = = > remote box #2
            Remote HS3 lite or pro = = > remote box #3

The included RPi would provide you with a small linux based OS for running HS3 or plugins as the mono is already installed.

Remote plugin running is just as simple as mono pluginname homeseerserverip.

I am guessing in windows via command line its just pluginname homeserverip.

Try it today with your Homeseer 3 box. (IE run a plugin on another wintel machine talking to your main HS3 machine).

Have a look at the development pieces of the Spud's UPB plugin as I tested it remotely and locally running. This was the first Homeseer 3 plugin I played with on Homeseer 3. Not sure about the help file references as I never looked.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163104
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
              That sounds perfect - exactly what I want to do! I'm sure I'll need some help, once I have all the pieces in hand. There is a house rule which states that "thou shall not purchase gifts for one's self in the 6 weeks before Christmas". So I may have to wait
              You need to ask Santa (aka the CEO/CFO/Wife) for one for Christmas.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

@Barry,
                HST should come up with a plugin which manages a sibling HS3 machine like maybe the Zee or multiple Zees.

HS3 mothership = = > running a HS3 conduit / plugin that would talk to other HS3 boxes
                Remote HS3 lite or pro = = > remote box #1
                Remote HS3 lite or pro = = > remote box #2
                Remote HS3 lite or pro = = > remote box #3

The included RPi would provide you with a small linux based OS for running HS3 or plugins as the mono is already installed.

Remote plugin running is just as simple as mono pluginname homeseerserverip.

I am guessing in windows via command line its just pluginname homeserverip.

Try it today with your Homeseer 3 box. (IE run a plugin on another wintel machine talking to your main HS3 machine).
                Don't know that HST has a suggestion box (Rupp??) but such a plug-in would sell more systems too.

I have my old XP HS2 box in the garage, so I did try to load the X10 plugin. It took me a couple of times to get the parameter syntax correct. I plugged in an old CM11a, but HS3 couldn't communicate with it. Still a good proof of concept test.

Rupp, I have the Zee on my list. Hoping for a Sale too.

Barry

Comment

I have my old XP HS2 box in the garage, so I did try to load the X10 plugin. It took me a couple of times to get the parameter syntax correct. I plugged in an old CM11a, but HS3 couldn't communicate with it. Still a good proof of concept test.
                  Yup; you can also utilize Jon's Homeseer Connector for intercommunications between HS2 and HS3. HS2 X-10 plugin is a bit messed (since 2005) up but it works still.

Homeseer Connector is here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162718

The Homeseer Connector would also work fine to control your X10 using HS2 in the garage. This was one of the first HS3 programs I used for playing with HS3. It worked fine with everything connected to the HS2 box. (including a CM11A).

You can run HS2 on an "old" netop computer if you want a small footprint machine to hang on a wall in the garage.

Here still have CM11A's, TW523, (Ocelot is off), Jeff Volp's TW-523 dual phase box and Amp and original Volp X10 AMP on line. All X10 stuff works fine.

You could also mount the Zee in LV can in the garage if you wanted to.

Or just utilize a network serial adapter for communications to the mothership with whatever serial PIM you want to utilize. If Z-Wave you can utilize a Digi AnywherePC or a Lantronics USB to network device.

Garage automation solutions:

1 - Use the Zee - running a remote plugin to the mothership HS3 box. You can run both ZeeLite Homeseer and the remote plugin on the Zee.
                  2 - extend HS3 via USB or Serial via a network connection (wired is preferred to wireless) to USB/Serial PIM - note that the connector doesn't work between the Zee and HS3.
                  3 - Use your old HS2 box and Jon's Connector
                  4 -
                  Last edited by Pete; November 28, 2014, 03:34 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yup; you can also utilize Jon's Homeseer Connector for intercommunications between HS2 and HS3. HS2 X-10 plugin is a bit messed (since 2005) up but it works still.

Homeseer Connector is here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162718

The Homeseer Connector would also work fine to control your X10 using HS2 in the garage. This was one of the first HS3 programs I used for playing with HS3. It worked fine with everything connected to the HS2 box. (including a CM11A).

You can run HS2 on an "old" netop computer if you want a small footprint machine to hang on a wall in the garage.

Here still have CM11A's, TW523, (Ocelot is off), Jeff Volp's TW-523 dual phase box and Amp and original Volp X10 AMP on line. All X10 stuff works fine.

You could also mount the Zee in LV can in the garage if you wanted to.

Or just utilize a network serial adapter for communications to the mothership with whatever serial PIM you want to utilize. If Z-Wave you can utilize a Digi AnywherePC or a Lantronics USB to network device.

Garage automation solutions:

1 - Use the Zee - running a remote plugin to the mothership HS3 box. You can run both ZeeLite Homeseer and the remote plugin on the Zee.
                    2 - extend HS3 via USB or Serial via a network connection (wired is preferred to wireless) to USB/Serial PIM - note that the connector doesn't work between the Zee and HS3.
                    3 - Use your old HS2 box and Jon's Connector
                    4 -
                    I've been running 2 boxes with HS2 and HS3, waiting for the Media Play plugin (which Rich is promising to deliver Monday). I've used Jon's connector (and a number of his great scripts) to keep things running smoothly.

Over the years, I've had very good luck with X-10, But as the years pass, I've seen more and more X-10 devices disappear, so need to find replacements. This project started with me trying to figure out how to get Z-wave to the garage and eventually to the pump house and barn.

So while I'm not in a bind, I'm going to try the Zee approach and get the bonus of looking at low power computing too.

Barry

Comment

How far apart is the garage from the pump house and barn?

How far is the house from the garage?

Do you have network connectivity in the pump house and barn?
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

How far apart is the garage from the pump house and barn?

Do you have network connectivity in the pump house and barn?
                        The barn is 450' from the garage. I'm using Ethernet over Powerline to get a connection there now. I ran Cat5 cable when I ran power to the barn, but would need booster/extenders to get Ethernet over that distance. Just running IP cams there now. I use X-10 to control the lights and to switch engine heaters and chargers. It is lowest on my list.

The pump house is about 150 feet from the house. Using X-10 to control the pump, switch the heat lamps on/off and my driveway alert systems is in there too (linked to X-10). No Ethernet there, but might try the Ethernet over power lines there too.

There is no line of sight to the barn or pump house (it is actually below ground). Thought of trying to get WiFi to both, but not sure of cost/reliability.

Barry

Comment

Did a quickie look and found:

The average range between two Z-Wave products is about 100 meters or roughly 300 feet.
                          Do you have any Z-Wave devices and Controller today that you could play with to check distances et al?

Personally I would just purchase an Aeon stick and one Z-Wave device to test the RF reach and maybe consider using UPB for this stuff.

An alternative would be to use multiple Z-Wave controllers connected via the network.

The Zee is running HS3 Lite. I am not sure you could put multiple Z-Wave controllers on the Zee.

Can you draw a box and stick figure relating to House, Garage, Barn and Pump house distances including what you have between them relating to HV and LV?
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It has been a couple of years since I tried to get Z-wave in the garage. It is probably doable, with the right devices. But that would take away some of the fun.

I just did a quick price comparison between the Zee and buying a Pi-B kit from Amazon and the Z-wave stick and Pi software from HST. If I buy during the HomeSeer sale today, the kit approach is $3 cheaper. Think I'll go that way.

When I have everything in hand, I'll get back to you with a better formed project(s).

Barry

Comment

Good news on your Zee deal!

You are doing very well with the Ethernet power line devices. I tried here using them on a new home on a farm purchasing a few models and had no luck. Looked at a wireless bridge then went to using underground cat6 which worked at the edge of that 300 feet or so. We were trying to connect all of the homes there.
                              Attached Files
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X