remotes that work well with Zee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remotes that work well with Zee?

I notice problems with remotes. Please reply if you have gotten a specific remote to work OK with Zee. I'd prefer to avoid buying several remotes, spending perhaps many hours trying to get each one to work, and concluding that some don't work well, or perhaps not at all. Thanks....

What kind of remotes? Z-Wave, IR, etc? What are you wanting to do with the remote?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Some of the z-wave remotes are hit or miss and some will only control devices directly instead of going through the Zee.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

The minimotes I have trigger events directly on the zee (z-wave).

Comment

I have three minimotes all working great. You can send up to 8 commands per remote - 4 short presses and 8 long. So for various devices, I have it set to short turn on lamp, long turn off that same lamp. You need to flash the firmware in the remotes to get them to work with the Zee and I needed to rescan them a couple of times before the recognized the buttons. But very happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            What kind of remotes? Z-Wave, IR, etc? What are you wanting to do with the remote?
            Z-wave. Want a few laying around, for example at the bedside, to control my Zee network. It looks as though Z-wave remotes don't control many things. Maybe I was spoiled by my X-10 box with 16 devices. :-) Way too electrically noisy to use X-10, though...

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              Some of the z-wave remotes are hit or miss and some will only control devices directly instead of going through the Zee.
              I saw comments that it was necessary to remove devices from the Zee network to get some remotes to work. Then the remotes work, but the devices are no longer under Zee control. Not a good solution...

Comment

Originally posted by Frobozz View Post
                The minimotes I have trigger events directly on the zee (z-wave).
                Thanks - glad to hear that those work...

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
                  I have three minimotes all working great. You can send up to 8 commands per remote - 4 short presses and 8 long. So for various devices, I have it set to short turn on lamp, long turn off that same lamp. You need to flash the firmware in the remotes to get them to work with the Zee and I needed to rescan them a couple of times before the recognized the buttons. But very happy with them.
                  Thanks for the tips on what is needed to get them to work. Re the flash - I saw some version 1 minimotes for a bit less $, with the claim that the flash would bring them up to be the same as version 2. Is that really true?

Also, does your setup have the devices set up in scenes, with the minimote controlling scenes, or is it direct control of devices not in scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by zapper View Post
                    Thanks for the tips on what is needed to get them to work. Re the flash - I saw some version 1 minimotes for a bit less $, with the claim that the flash would bring them up to be the same as version 2. Is that really true?

Also, does your setup have the devices set up in scenes, with the minimote controlling scenes, or is it direct control of devices not in scenes?
                    Don' know much about versions. The way I have it working is as events. Each button is an event - which can be one or multiple actions or other events. For example press 1 light on, press 1 long light off. I have 3 remotes controlling the devices in the room they are in. With the latest update 147, they seem a bit more sluggish, but they do work.

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies! Looks like many tablets work, and a good way to go.

For security/privacy, I'm considering using a separate router, NOT connected to the internet, with the Zee and tablets attached wirelessly. For updates, etc, I can temporarily connect to the net. Anybody see a problem with that, or have alternative suggestions?

Comment

Oops - posted this to the wrong thread - sorry. But, if you have some thoughts re the 2nd router, please chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by zapper View Post
                          I saw some version 1 minimotes for a bit less $, with the claim that the flash would bring them up to be the same as version 2. Is that really true?
                          I grabbed a couple since they were cheaper, and sure enough they behave the same as the V2 model once flashed to 1_19. In fact the model numbers and fcc ids are exactly the same on both. The V1 model has 1 2 3 4 instead of the boxes on each button and the red and blue leds are much brighter (not sure if that will alter battery life at this point) the V1 also seems to be an off white, not the bright white of the V2.

Comment

Originally posted by homeseeruser View Post
                            I grabbed a couple since they were cheaper, and sure enough they behave the same as the V2 model once flashed to 1_19. In fact the model numbers and fcc ids are exactly the same on both. The V1 model has 1 2 3 4 instead of the boxes on each button and the red and blue leds are much brighter (not sure if that will alter battery life at this point) the V1 also seems to be an off white, not the bright white of the V2.
                            The remotes with the buttons were the ones I had with my old verizon system. Yes I did flash them and they work great with the Zee. I did not know they were different versions. I thought they were made for verizon.

Comment

The minimotes are the only ones I have gotten to work well. I have both the regular and advanced GE remote and have had tons of trouble with them. For one, it seems they should be able to work with the Zee in scene mode (people have them working with Vera), but I haven't figured out how to assign a scene to the remote itself in HS3.

I have also heard the minimote v1 and v2 are basically the same. Seems strange there is such a price difference if that is the case. I have some v1's on order and a v2 that I got to verify functionality. The minimote actually changes state in HS3, so you don't need scenes like the others I have tried.

Was thinking of using a minimote as the doorbell button. . .but don't have anything to trigger if they push it at this point (a siren doesn't seem like the best option).

Comment

Working...
                              X