Database issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database issue?

Tried to turn on a device from the web interface this morning and got no response. I tried a restart from the web interface and did not get a response after ~5 minutes. Decided to do a hard reset (power off). The system came back but all the devices were GONE!

Tried to import the configuration file. Saw the message that it was loading it, but after ~20 sec the message went away. Went back to the device page, but it was emptied. I then tried to import the devices from the Z-Stick controller and everything came back.

The network seems OK and all the scene/zone controllers still have their assignments set.

Tried to do another web restart and the above repeated. Two items got my attention and I'd like to pass them up to the group. If a bugzilla entry is warranted I can do that.

Appreciate your help in how best to proceed. Thanks!
    Attached Files

HS3 should automatically create backup copies of the hsd file and they should be in the same directory as the "normal" file. I would suggest using an older file. Do you run any other backups on the system?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Al. You are always there, ready to help .

The backup files (data.zip) contains 6 files. I tried unzipping the latest one and offered it to the restore function. It complained that it wanted to see the ZIP file. I assume that it would look for the latest and use that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as this is the first time I use the restore.

BTW, I should have mentioned the event went away as well. Redoing those will be a pain ...

Maybe if there was a way to delete the DB it would be force to create one? The SQL error seems to implied something is really hosed.

Comment

The zip file needs to be restored using the restore config button on the setup page. However, since it sounds like just your homeseerdata.hsd file is messed up, you can use an alternate copy of it to restore manually. These should be located in your data sub-directory. Shut down HS, rename the homeseerdata.hsd to something else and then rename the latest (prior to the corruption occurring) backup file there to homeseerdata.hsd. Then restart HS3 and all should be good again. You would lose only the changes made since the time-stamp on that backup file.

Cheers
        Al

Comment

Thanks Al. I follow what is needed, but not sure how to do it. I fired up putty, but have been unable to login as it rejects my Zee credentials (used the factory ones as well).

At this point I'm OK with redoing the events (the devices import OK from the Z-Stick). Is there a way to have the Zee create a blank DB and just start anew ? I rather not get into the Linux internals if at all possible for fear I'll screw something up.

Comment

Originally posted by clauder View Post
            Thanks Al. I follow what is needed, but not sure how to do it. I fired up putty, but have been unable to login as it rejects my Zee credentials (used the factory ones as well).

At this point I'm OK with redoing the events (the devices import OK from the Z-Stick). Is there a way to have the Zee create a blank DB and just start anew ? I rather not get into the Linux internals if at all possible for fear I'll screw something up.
            Hi Claude,

I don't use a Zee or a linux version of HS so don't know the exact steps to login to it. Hopefully someone else can jump in.

I've used WinSCP in the past to access my NAS boxes, but of course you'd need the credentials as well. Maybe call HST to see if you can get the login info details from them. Even though you may be able to rebuild from scratch now, at some point in the future as you make your system more complex, it would be good to know how to do it. You may want to set up a backup process as well that copies the data off the Zee on a regular basis.

On the Windows version there's a "New Config" button on the main Setup page which should create a new DB. Is that there on the Zee version as well?

Cheers
            Al

Comment

Hi Al-

The Zee has a backup/restore feature as well (see screen grab below) under TOOLS/SETUP. I also found a command line menu under TOOLS/SYSTEM/LINUX TOOLS that accepted my credentials and then displayed a prompt line (see another scree grab below).

Now for the good news. Overnight, something must have kicked in a realized something was wrong with the DB and used the last one I had restored yesterday. Everything came back including the events. We'll call it success and move on

Thanks for lending an ear and giving me great suggestions!
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Claude,

Great to hear that it's working again.

Cheers
                Al

Comment

Working...
                X