Hometroller Zee Image and PI 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometroller Zee Image and PI 2

Can I use my current Hometroller Zee image on a new PI 2 or do I have to modify something? I am really not sure what is different between the Zee image and the normal Linux image of HS3. I understand the normal Linux version will operate on a PI 2 and it can also access Plug-Ins. Maybe the next version of the Zee will just load the Linux version or allow us to upgrade with a slight fee.

I have utilized the base Zee build to run Homeseer 3 Pro with no issues.

I have also run the HS Zee build and concurrent HS3 Pro plugins on the Zee just fine.

That said I do check and update the build about once a week.

Keep checking and update the build. My current Zee is running most current RPi stuff.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I just tried to boot the original Zee image on the RPi2 and it will not boot. Mark mentioned a Zee2 coming out that will support plugins. I suspect it to be HS3 running on a RPi2 like Pete mentioned.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the answers. I just got my Zee and then the PI 2 was released and that arrived at my house yesterday. I was hoping to make use of the faster speed of the PI 2. There is really only one Plugin I would like to be running, Elk1MG so I can wait and see what happens.

Comment

I would suggest to the purchase of an RTC clock for your new RPi. It's plug n play and a cold boot will not require an internet connection to sync your time.

Read some more here: Real Time Clock
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by davidw4806 View Post
            Can I use my current Hometroller Zee image on a new PI 2 or do I have to modify something? I am really not sure what is different between the Zee image and the normal Linux image of HS3. I understand the normal Linux version will operate on a PI 2 and it can also access Plug-Ins. Maybe the next version of the Zee will just load the Linux version or allow us to upgrade with a slight fee.
            I just posted a DIY recipe for updating and upgrading your Hometroller Zee image to a new Pi 2 in the software area. HS3Pi won't run unless you upgrade system files to support the new processor. Look for it to appear soon.

--Lor

Comment

Upgrading 152 to Pi Ver 2 hardware failure

Followed your great instructions but am not having any success.

1. When I input the "sudo apt-get dis-upgrade" as shown on your routine it comes back and says "invalid operation".

2. I went to the next instruction of installing the pi-ui-mods. It ran for 2 hours trying to get update files at 93.93.130.39 and 93.93.130.214 and finally ended with failure. I was able to ping the address ok.

3. So at this point I will have to restore my original saved image to get running again.

Appreciate any advise...

Richard

Comment

Yup; doing upgrades on the RPi will take hours literally. I always try to keep the Zee updated and check every couple of weeks. This morning's 75 updates took hours.

sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get upgrade

This piece will have you probably reboot a couple of times. Make sure you have Homeseer OFF when doing this. Homeseer on slows it down even more.

This by itself if you have never done it will be well over 100-200 updates and will take hours.

Here as I have keep up with the upgrades my dist-upgrade was 4 files.

:~# sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Calculating upgrade... Done
                The following packages will be upgraded:
                curl libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libssl1.0.0
                4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                Need to get 1,943 kB of archives.
                After this operation, 13.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                I just did the last two steps of the update and it took about 2 minutes to reboot time.

uname -a
                Linux ICS-HomeTrollerZEE 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

The original announcement for the RPi2 said that you could just run the running RPi stuff on the RPi 2; well until folks tried it and it didn't work.

Per RPi forums a few days ago.

What is the output of 'uname -a' on the B+ after update / upgrade?

Linux Raspberrypi 3.18 7+ #755 PREMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
                Last edited by Pete; March 5, 2015, 05:15 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Upgrading 152 to Pi Ver 2 failure

Pete,
                  Thank you for your prompt response. I notice the original listing showed "sudo apt-get dis-upgrade". That of course failed. I guess it should have been listed as "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" instead. I will give that a try.

You mentioned not to have homeseer running. Here is how I am doing the update, kind of like days before homeseer:
                  I connect a KB and mouse and display to the Pi then boot it up but it asks for ID and password to start homeseer. What should I do at that point so as not to get into homeseer? Sorry but I am a little slow on Linux commands etc.

Richard

Comment

@Richard,

Think of the linux commands as old ms dos.

It's much easier just to SSH to the Zee and upgrade that way.

Have you given SSH a try yet?

That said its easy to do via the gui with a keyboard and mouse.

You are fine logging the way you do.

You can still shut down Homeseer on the Zee via the web gui on any computer in your home.

Do that first before doing the upgrade.

Do the upgrade again to make sure you are at current updates for the regular RPi.

There are many and if any got missed you will have issues.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Upgrading 152 to Pi Ver 2 hardware

Pete,
                      Started over and everything went smooth as can be. The new Pi2 came up SO fast and all worked great with my X10 devices.
                      Thanks for the info and recommendations...

Richard

Comment

Good news Richard.

Here I utilize a side program to monitor my headless Zee. It is called Webmin and it is pretty light. It give you a nice web management page and lets you update updates and patches via a web browser.

Have a read here about Webmin and installing it.

you can SSH and type the following stuff to install it on the Zee-2

change hxxp to http

Code:
                        sudo wget [url]hxxp://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.730_all.deb[/url]

sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python

sudo dpkg --install webmin_1.730_all.deb
                        Attached Files
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thank you for the information on Webmin for the Zee - it is extremely helpful !!

Comment

Working...
                          X