Current Zee Z-wave PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Zee Z-wave PI

What is the latest Z-Wave PI for the HomeTroller Zee? I would like to have 3.0.0.216 if it is available. I am planning to deploy my Zee in my workshop to monitor temperature and control the heater in the bathroom (got to keep the pipes from freezing in winter). I decided to keep the workshop separate from my house although they will be on the same network via powerline adapters.

Bob

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
    What is the latest Z-Wave PI for the HomeTroller Zee? I would like to have 3.0.0.216 if it is available. I am planning to deploy my Zee in my workshop to monitor temperature and control the heater in the bathroom (got to keep the pipes from freezing in winter). I decided to keep the workshop separate from my house although they will be on the same network via powerline adapters.

Bob
    Just curious, have you purchased the Zee yet and are you running HS3 now? I ask, because I have a Zee deployed in my garage/workshop. It works great, but I wish I had gone with the new Z-Net instead. You end up with 2 systems and there is really no advantage.

Having said that, I've not touched the Zee for a few months now and it is working flawlessly. I was looking for a means to expand my Z-wave network. Sorry, I don't know the latest version.

Barry

Comment

Hi Barry,

I do have the ZNet in my house with HS3 Pro. I am really pleased the with operation of this system. I had purchased the Zee when I first started with HS but soon discovered that I needed several plug-ins and the Zee just would not get the job done. It has been on the closet shelf for about a year. You are correct that a ZNet would handle the project with just one system interface. I just thought I would put the Zee to work.

Bob

Comment

I purchased a RaspberryPI with the idea of just running the Z-wave PI on it - a poor man's Z-net, but couldn't get it to work. HST was in the middle of the Z-net development and never addressed the issue. I purchased the software HS3Pi when it was on sale and set it up in the garage.

I'm using a Z-stick and only have a couple of Z-wave devices. I'm also running X-10 and that works well too.

Barry

Comment

Hardware

Chip-Firmware
          • Based on Reference design from Sigma Designs
          • Enhanced functions such as:
          • Backup and recovery
          • Vendor specific UI settings
          • Extended Node Information Frame (up to 20 Command Classes)
          • Optimized queue handling
          • Firmware update from the Raspberry PI OS

Software
          • Certified Z-Wave Plus Middle-ware written in Full Z-Wave Plus based Smart Home Gateway
          • Network management (Include, Exclude, Reorganize)
          • Device interview and configuration
          • Management of direct associations between devices
          • Sensor access and polling
          • Operating actors and access actors status
          • Automation engine with rules, scripts, timers
          • Job queue management

• Tested against Raspbian wheezy OS
          • Implements Z-Wave Plus Network controller based on SDK 6.51 (5th gen)
          • Supported the following Commands Classes: Association, Basic, Battery, Configuration, Manufacturer Specific, Meter, Multichannel, Multichannel Association, MultiCommand, NodeNaming, SensorBinary, SensorMultilevel, SwitchAll, SwitchBinary, SwitchMultilevel, ThermostatMode, ThermostatSetpoint, Version, Wake-up
          • Offers a native C level API plus web based JSON API
          • Local scripting based on Google Java Script Engine V8
          • Optimized data subscription model to minimize data traffic over the net
          • Localization based on XML language files
          • Utilizes the Pepper One Z-Wave device data base or user friendly configuration and association handling

Well the question remains until I start to play with this. Plans are:

1 - update Zee HS3 Lite RPi to the RPi2
          2 - install this Z-Wave GPIO board and RTC clock board on the RPI2
          3 - Issue here will be the drivers and chatting to HS3 Lite.
          Note Mark posted:
          We do not plan to offer the Z-NET parts or software separately. This will only be sold as a completed product.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; March 27, 2015, 07:25 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

That looks nice. Let me know how the project goes. I have a Ubuntu server that I use for my weather reporting to CWOP and Wundergound. It is also my website for my Amateur Radio hobby. I never have to touch the server it just runs and runs. I try to keep the updates current but other than that it just sets in the corner. I started using the Linux HS3 but during beta testing I switched to Windows 7 because the Linux updates were slower in being released. I had planned to switch back to Linux after the dust settled but ended up purchasing an i7 computer for my windows based HS3 server and BlueIris cameras. You can see my website at http://www.w4lcs.com

Bob

Comment

Thank you Bob.

What weather station software are you using on your Linux box?

I do similiar today with a Windows server box running Cumulus and have looked and played a bit with WeeWx and WView stuff with connectivity to two weather stations.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

I am using Wview with a Davis Vantage Pro 2. My station went online in November 2007 and I have continuous data from that point. I have also enhanced my Wview display by using the Saratoga-Weather.org templates. see http://www.w4lcs.com/weather/wxindex.php

Bob

Comment

Thank you Bob.

Very nice website.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Got the RaZberry Pi Z-Wave board. It is tiny and fits just fine inside of the Homeseer Zee RPi case.

I was able to install it in to the Zee with the RTC clock just fine. I was concerned that I couldn't put the cover on and it fit just fine. Running a Razberry script to load the drivers and running the configuration so far looks very plug n play.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am curious on improvements with a Pi2 ??
                      Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Not paying attention right now. Note that the RaZberry card is installed in the original Zee with the first generation RPi.

Homeseer 3 ZeeLite runs faster on the RPi2.

The Zee Z-Wave interface does see the RaZberry card fine.

Removed the Aeon stick and imported my test stuff from Aeon Stick to RazBerry.

Operational messages will appear here...
                        Loading network information from your Z-Wave interface...
                        Done.
                        Synchronizing network information against HomeSeer devices...
                        Getting Z-Wave node list for network 016A2431...
                        Found 3 Z-Wave nodes
                        Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
                        ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 1 done.
                        ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 2 done.
                        ... Checking node list against existing devices, node 3 done.
                        Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 3

Device synchronization needs to create devices for 2 new nodes.

Device synchronization needs to get Z-Wave class information for 2 nodes.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; March 31, 2015, 10:29 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

That is nice. Going to order one today to replace my z-stick in my Zee. Looks like it will work fine.

Bob

Comment

Still playing here with it. I really need to start from scratch though cuz I am using / playing with 3 different controllers and networks.

Trying now to export stuff from Z-Troller.

Operational messages will appear here...
                            Replicate Receive started...
                            Replication in progress, please wait...
                            If this works it'll be a nice update to the Zee-Lite Homeseer 3 device.

Note that I am only playing and I am not sure today if the Zee-Lite Z-Wave drivers actually are set up for the new interface.

Goofing around with the Aeon stick the RaZberry now appears as a secondary controller.

Wondering if I can export the nodes file wise and import them into the RaZberry.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Pete; March 31, 2015, 11:38 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I had a bunch of stuff on the Z-Troller & Aeon Stick. (testing / playing in non production environment)

Deleting it all and starting from scratch with the RaZberry to see how this device works (or not).

Concurrently testing of the RaZberry and HomeGenie Homeseer 3 Pro automation software. Note RaZberry / HomeGenie have updated their stuff to newest Z-Wave chipset.

Note too this is just a mention as both RaZberry / HomeGenie are free at this time.

In retrospect here then the updating of the original Zee to an RPi2 / RTC / RaZberry Z-Wave board will extend the longitivity of the original Zee.

This does involve a hardware update:

1 - RPi2 - $35 + shipping
                              2 - RTC with passthru - CJE Micro - shim - seeing them as high as $23 - worth $10 - note many/most RTC do not have passthru's.
                              3 - RaZberry Z-Wave board $59.00 with free shipping
                              =================================
                              Best guesstimate would be around $105.00 USD to update your original Zee hardware.

Optional Hardware mods
                              1 - Retro Case
                              2 - TP-Link POE splitter (hardware mod a coaxial barrel connector to a mini USB connector or modify the RPi with a 5VDC barrel connector to case).
                              3 - tiny SMA coaxial antenna modification to a small footprint external antenna - 900Mhz rubber ducky antenna (suggested would be a 3 dBi gain omnidirectional one).

The TP-Link POE splitter would allow placement of Zee just about anywhere using a single CatXX network cable.

Software update to RPi2 is as documented here on the forum.

Pending an update to original Zee Homeseer 3 lite as posted previously (plugin use?)

Note that the original Zee case has screw mounting holes for easy wall mounting. If you want to get fancy you can purchase a new retro looking case for around $20 USD. (I did not do this).
                              Last edited by Pete; April 1, 2015, 08:10 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X