Lost Passwrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Passwrod

I have lost the password for my fairly new Zee. I did not realize this until I set the system to require a password from the local net. Now I have almost no access.

I had the password written down, but the recorded password, or any variation I can think of, does not work. I can use WinSCP to view the files in the Zee, that still has the default password, but I can't get in with putty.

I was looking at the sticky thread about writing a new SD card. That seems like it should reset the passwords & everything., but I'm hoping there is something better or easier I can do. I didn't have a lot of custom stuff, so a complete reset would not be a disaster.

I'm good with Windows, but know very little Linux. I do have a dual boot machine with the intention to learn, but the card reader in it quit working.

Thanks for any help/advice

You can use single user mode to reset it. I assume you still know the user name?

Comment

If you can login as root, the default root password is hsthsths3
      Once logged in, just: passwd homeseer
      and you can assign a new password.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I should have mentioned, I changed the password on setup and then lost it. Or maybe I messed up the username, but I am pretty sure I know the username.

Single user mode?

I'm new to the zee and to unix. I need a few details. The only way I know of to access the machine is WinSCP, can I do it from there?

Login as root? Can I do that without knowing the password I lost?

Comment

The password you setup and lost is for the homeseer user. Try logging in as root with the password: hsthsths3

Comment

OK, things are looking up. I successfully logged in from Putty under root.

When I entered a new password, the machine hung up for a few minutes, but a couple of reboots got it back.
            Will the passwd homeseer command change the user password?
            I changed the password, but still can't login to the user screen.
            Will the username be the same?
            Is there a way to change that in case that is what I lost?

Comment

Yes - when you entered "passwd homeseer" that will change the password for the user "homeseer".

Now, it sounds like you are trying to get to the web interface of HS? If so, just just try the new password you set for user "homeseer".

Comment

OK, I've changed the password that I knew, but that's not what I need. The homeseer username and my new password works for WinSCP or putty, but not to open the web interface.

How can I create a new user for the web interface, since I'm not sure of the username or otherwise get in.

OK - got it. I finally figured out to use WinSCP to change the filename: /usr/local/Homeseer/Config/users.cfg and rebooted.

The system rebuilt the file and I could get in to the web interface with username=default and password=default.
                Last edited by JerryH; April 8, 2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X