X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick

what happens if temperture goes above 100F...does the reading go to
    5 digits then (e.g. 10011) or rolls over?

Comment

It would go to 5 digits - it is an integer in a 32 bit system, so it can go up to somewhere in the vicinity of 2,147,483,647... which should be enough for any human endurable temperatures.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Dim does not work

The only way I could get the HSM100 to trigger a light (as occupancy sensor) is to set it up so that it turns the light on. If I set it to a dim value, it does not want to play.
        Also, when I associate it with a light switch, it kills the other association, in this case a transmitter I am using as a solution for three-way switch.
        I will try to disassociate the HSM100 with the switch and associate it with HS and see what happens. Any thoughts, please?

Comment

Originally posted by meboxster View Post
          The only way I could get the HSM100 to trigger a light (as occupancy sensor) is to set it up so that it turns the light on. If I set it to a dim value, it does not want to play.
          Also, when I associate it with a light switch, it kills the other association, in this case a transmitter I am using as a solution for three-way switch.
          I will try to disassociate the HSM100 with the switch and associate it with HS and see what happens. Any thoughts, please?
          Every Z-Wave device that supports associations has a limit on the number of devices that you can associate. I do not recall what the HSM100 was set up for, it might be only 1, but if you need to control more than one device at a time, simply associate it with HomeSeer, which is the default, and then HomeSeer can operate as many devices as you want. If you change the "On Level" in the configuration area for the HSM100, then you will be sending a set level command at a specific value - regardless of how many devices are associated. In other words, if you have the HSM100 controlling devices directly, then they will ALL be set to the On Level that you specify - you cannot have different levels for each device. If you associate the device with HomeSeer and leave it sending a full ON level, then HomeSeer can control the lights and set them to whatever levels you want.
          Regards,

Comment

In your example you are using the light level to trigger your lights. I have a whole bunch of this motion sensor now for in the house but to get a accurate setting one would want to update the light level every 15 minutes.

It can get dark pretty fast at some time and if you set it to 30 minutes or 60 minutes you can be waving your hand all you want but it wont go on.

Since i've read that on normal (60 min) the battery live is 1 year (yikes 1 year!?!) on anything less then 60 minutes you have to change the battery every half year? Having 10 of those in the house => 30 battery's -> not to mention the hassle.

Correct me if i am wrong, or if there is a better sollution.

Comment

I have 6 sensors in my house - they are set up to wake up between 6 and 12 minutes depending on where they are and their function. I control alot of the lighting in the house based on motion in particular areas and the luminance outside. Waking the sensors up every 6 minutes and transmitting all the data gives you about 10 weeks worth of battery life. If that is not acceptable you can hardwire the HSM100's very easily - once hardwired you can make the sensor a routable part of the network

Comment

Well normally these things hang up in a corner of a room, thats like the only spot where i dont have "power"

I've set it now to 30 minutes, but according to you this would set me back around 6x5=30, 5x 10 weeks, 50 weeks or so?

Motion is my primairy concern, in a bad case scenario i can always turn of temperature/light sensor and only send motion, i would think this will up the battery life to 2+ years.

Comment

Yes, replacing batteries is a trade-off for not having a hardwired device!

The waking up to transmit temperature and light level is not the only part of the battery consumption - a big part of it is also how often it detects motion and has to transmit that signal.

Thus, if the detector is near a ceiling fan that is turned on, good luck getting more than a few days... If it is in a closet opened rarely, then you can expect the estimated amounts or better.

So as with anything battery operated, it depends on how you use it. If you need more frequently wake-ups, then you will just have to replace the batteries more often.

One other thought - set the sensor to wake-up more frequently, and create an event that logs it when the light level is below the threshold level you set for turning on the lights with motion. Now, track that time of day when the event fires against the calculated sunset, and find the offset time in minutes from when sunset is to when you want the lights turned on. Then, you can modify your event based upon motion to go by the light level OR by an offset from sunset. You can then set the wake-up time back to 30 or 60 minutes, and then the light level from the sensor will help on cloudy days, but the light level corresponding with the lights will be more accurate because of the secondary check against sunset.
                  Regards,

Comment

That is also a idea indeed. I think i just need to hardwire power into it, in a place where i know there is a lot of darkness and use that. The rest i can live with using sunset and all. This device at least works proper (no misses, no strange reoccurences, etc) once i have 1 in the darkness i can turn off the temperature and other readings, its a pitty but i hate changing battery's for 10+ devices each year = 30+ battery's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                      Roy,
                      When you first walk into the room, the detector catches you, wakes up the radio and sends a signal that tells HomeSeer (or some other device) that there was motion. After it sends that signal, the radio is turned OFF, and now the detector is continuing to operate. As long as you are moving around, the detector sees this and keeps resetting itself. If you are moving for 10 minutes, then there is still motion and so no further signals need to be sent. Now let's say you stop moving - now the detector realizes that there is no more motion so it starts counting seconds... If five minutes goes by (the period you set as the timeout), and there is no more motion, then it wakes up the radio and sends the OFF or NO MOTION signal to HomeSeer or a device.
                      ......i would like very much this behaviour, but i have seen no motion works as you described....
                      I begin to think they are not possible to use.....

They only send an 'on command', and then an 'off command' after the time you set.

But the very very bad thing, is that when they turns off, no more motions is detected for about 1 minute!!

So, if you enter a room, the sensor detect you and turn 'on' a light. After 2 minutes, while you are moving into this room, the sensor turns 'off' the light and you can move yourself as you want, but it will not turn the light 'on'.....
                      After about 1 minutes or 2 (every sensor has a different behaviour!!), if you are still alive into the room, the motion, turns the light on again......

I think it's a very very bad sensor. I bought 20 of this because the description was fine..... well, it was not the real description.

Comment

Originally posted by k4nt View Post
                        Rick,

I read you loud and clear but I don't think that is how my HS100 is functioning.

..........as expected........

Comment

As i suspected, no reply!.......

Comment

What version of Homeseer are you running? Are the timeouts the same for each sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                              What version of Homeseer are you running? Are the timeouts the same for each sensor?
                              Yes, the timeout is 1 minute for each sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by emabonacchi View Post
                                Yes, the timeout is 1 minute for each sensor.
                                The latest version of HomeSeer is 2.4.0.1 - any reason you are not using that version?
                                Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X