Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSM100: can it be always on and route as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSM100: can it be always on and route as well?

I was thinking of providing a power supply into the HSM100 so that battery life is not an issue.

Am I to assume that the HSM100 would do routing when awake (can it be awake full time?)

If not are they similar MUTLI (temp+light+motion) routing sensors available or in the plans?

There are classes that Z-Wave nodes support and they report those to HomeSeer so we know what their capabilities are. If there is a device designed to be used with batteries, then the manufacturer would never make it a routing node. Even if you could power it as you want to, you cannot change the device mid-stream to become a routing node. They could engineer it such that if it accepted plug-in power that it could be re-added as a routing node, but I suspect we will never find somebody doing that one.

I am not aware of anybody making something that would fit that bill as you have described it.

However, I just finished adding support in HomeSeer for the Hawking motion detector and door/window sensor. The motion detector has a programmable configuration setting to disable the power saving mode. When you replace the batteries or configure it back to normal, power saver is re-enabled. The power saver is what shuts down the node when it is not detecting motion and sending a signal. So, if you powered one of these with external power, configured it to not use power saver mode, then here is what you would have:
    1. Device is always awake, so changing parameters, re-scanning for capabilities, getting status, etc. would all work all the time.
    2. A momentary power failure in your supply power would nullify #1. (Because when the power came back on, it would be in power-saver mode.)
    3. The node would still not route because it's base type is not a routing node type.

Hope that helps.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
      There are classes that Z-Wave nodes support and they report those to HomeSeer so we know what their capabilities are. If there is a device designed to be used with batteries, then the manufacturer would never make it a routing node. Even if you could power it as you want to, you cannot change the device mid-stream to become a routing node. They could engineer it such that if it accepted plug-in power that it could be re-added as a routing node, but I suspect we will never find somebody doing that one.
      Does anyone know if this is still true? I just added Z-Wave to my setup and the configuration screen for them says that the sensors can be configured for always on operation, and that it then participates in Z-Wave network routing.

So, which one is right?

Comment

Originally posted by kfh View Post
        Does anyone know if this is still true? I just added Z-Wave to my setup and the configuration screen for them says that the sensors can be configured for always on operation, and that it then participates in Z-Wave network routing.

So, which one is right?
        First of all, scuse for my bad english......

NO, It-s NOT TRUE.

Hsm100 can be configured as a router and there are no problem if power failure.

The 'always awake' is a parameter remaining in memory also when power goes down.

YOU CAN use Hsm100 in 'always on' mode as a router.

Comment

1. Device is always awake, so changing parameters, re-scanning for capabilities, getting status, etc. would all work all the time.
          No. Only first time.

Comment

2. A momentary power failure in your supply power would nullify #1. (Because when the power came back on, it would be in power-saver mode.)
            No.
            It always remain in the original state.

Comment

3. The node would still not route because it's base type is not a routing node type.
              No.
              It is a routing node type if setting in 'always on' mode.

Comment

Originally posted by emabonacchi View Post
                No.
                It is a routing node type if setting in 'always on' mode.
                emabonacchi,

You are quoting Rick's statements regarding the Hawking motion detector but I think your statements are concerning HSM100-True?

Comment

Just to clarify, if you provide power to the HSM100 and enable the always ON mode, it will route. However, after you enable this setting, you need to remove the HSM100 from your network and re-add it. Otherwise other nodes will not realize it can route.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

>> you need to remove the HSM100 from your network and re-add it

Is there a way of doing this without having to recreate events associated with this device? If I remove it from the network, won't it delete any references?

Comment

In this case, no, you will need to edit your events and re-add the new reference.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Could you not use HS' "replace device" option to automate this?

Comment

Working...
                        X