• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No temperature below 32F

Is there a work around for this at all?
    I'd like at least 0F.

Thanks!

~Bill

These were designed for indoor use. Are you using them in an unheated warehouse?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Good morning (PST) Rupp.

No, it was for frontdoor motion / exterior light level / outside temperature monitoring, under cover and out of the rain of course.

I was afraid of that answer, thanks!
      Maybe I need to get my 1-Wire network back running.

~Bill

Comment

I would be nice for garages and sheds though.

~Bill

Comment

True, I wonder what the specs list as the temperature range for this device?
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

I agree that they are excellnet for these locations, now the question is - is this a HomeSeer limit or a device limit?
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

I think I'll email Rich and see what he says.
              It is probably a combination of things.
              Thanks sir, have a good weekend!

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                True, I wonder what the specs list as the temperature range for this device?
                -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

There's our answer. Thanks Todd.
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

Comment

Last edited by AdamH; November 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM.

Comment

If you can keep it dry, the HSM100 will operate below 32F. It will report the temp readings just fine.
                      The problem is that if it goes thru freeze/thaw cycles, the chips on the PCB may get pried off by the ice that will form inside the HSm100. You can coat the PCB with a thin layer of epoxy to make it weather proof - of course that voids the warantee...

High temperatures are generally not that much of a problem but the temperature chip will not be as accurate outside of the range specified.

Battery life will be lower in both cold and hot environments.

I would not expect the HSM100 to detect the spinning blades of a fan. They probably spin too fast and there has to be enough IR behind them for them to block it so the HSM100 can detect the motion. It might work when the sun is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericryherd View Post
                        If you can keep it dry, the HSM100 will operate below 32F. It will report the temp readings just fine.
                        The problem is that if it goes thru freeze/thaw cycles, the chips on the PCB may get pried off by the ice that will form inside the HSm100. You can coat the PCB with a thin layer of epoxy to make it weather proof - of course that voids the warantee...

High temperatures are generally not that much of a problem but the temperature chip will not be as accurate outside of the range specified.

Battery life will be lower in both cold and hot environments.
                        So in practice, what are the max/min temps that users have seen from their HSM100s? I'm considering one for my attic (to ensure my H/W circ pump is forced to run in freezing conditions and perhaps to control my vent fan in the summer). If a Z-wave sensor can't cover this range, then I'll probably go the 433MHz RFXCOMM route...

Thanks,
                        Don

Comment

I've used two hsm-100's outside for two years (protected from moisture), and they work great, that is until I upgraded to HS 2.4.

In this new version, negative temperatures (which used to work), are really weird. It's -8f outside now, and my two sensors register 6,550.7 and 6545.7 degrees f.

I will open a ticket as this has to be a software error - they worked correctly in version 2.3.x.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcrowley1 View Post
                            I've used two hsm-100's outside for two years (protected from moisture), and they work great, that is until I upgraded to HS 2.4.

In this new version, negative temperatures (which used to work), are really weird. It's -8f outside now, and my two sensors register 6,550.7 and 6545.7 degrees f.

I will open a ticket as this has to be a software error - they worked correctly in version 2.3.x.
                            I've seen this happen when the batteries have exhausted. Have you tried replacing the batteries?
                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes, batteries are showing 96% on both sensors, and on one of the units, they were replaced yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X