When do you get the non-motion events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you get the non-motion events?

So, I'd like to use the light level to determine whether to turn on some lights in my hallways as people pass through them. However, there really are two problems with this:

1) If someone turns on a light in the adjacent room that lights up the hallway enough just before entering the hallway, there's no need to turn on the lights.
    2) If someone turns off the lights in the adjacent room just before entering the hallway, then I do want the lights to turn on.

The issue really is a change in the lights after the last reporting period for light level from the HSM100 and then the motion event happening causing the light level to be checked. If the light level is stale (meaning from before the other change in lights), how can I accurately know whether to turn on the lights.

So, what I really want to know is when does the HSM100 report the light level? Ideally, it would do it on it's regular schedule (which in my case is every 12 minutes) and then do it immediately before any motion on event. If it did that, then there would never be any question.

My local testing seems to be erratic. Sometimes I appear to get the light level (and/or temperature level) just before the motion event and sometimes I do not. So, I'm looking for any help in clarifying this behavior.

Thanks,
    Chris

Be aware that updates every 12min will reduce battery life - you won't get 1 year out of a set of batteries. I'd recommend lengthening the wakeup or powering the HSM100 with AC.

The question is a very good one that I think Rich will have to noodle on a little.

What is happening is that:
    1) HSM100 detects motion and sends a command to HS2 and any associated nodes.
    2) HS2 requests additional information from the HSM100 (lite & temp)
    3) HSM100 returns the lite & temp.

But - the problem is that at step 1 is when the event has triggered. How can we get HS2 to wait for the data in 3 before sending a command to the lite? Otherwise the data will be stale (from 12min ago instead of what we just got).

Also see the HSM100 Wiki: http://www.homeseer.com/wiki/index.php/HomeSeer_HSM100

Comment

I got confirmation from HS:

When the sensor sends us a motion command, we first poll it for its light and battery level, then set the motion status. So if you trigger on the motion status changing, the light and battery levels are up to date.
      So an event with a light level condition should work. I haven't tried it myself (yet).

Comment

OK, that's great and clears things up very well. That should be on the Wiki site for the HSM100.

Thanks for following up on this and posting the response.

Regards,
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X