Outdoor Version ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Version ??

How about putting the electronics in an outdoor case ??
    the world sure could use a sensor that is weather resistant !!
    Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

HSM-100 Outdoors

I have two that I have used outside for over 2 years. They are quite reliable if you place them high up under an overhang. To protect against rain, I have mounted a small plastic plate upside down to the overhang, then mount the sensor in the middle of the plate. The water then runs down the outside of the plate leaving the sensor nice and dry in all weather.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcrowley1 View Post
      I have two that I have used outside for over 2 years. They are quite reliable if you place them high up under an overhang. To protect against rain, I have mounted a small plastic plate upside down to the overhang, then mount the sensor in the middle of the plate. The water then runs down the outside of the plate leaving the sensor nice and dry in all weather.
      Do you have a picture of this setup?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Do you have a picture of this setup?

Here is a picture of the installation. The updside-down "plate" is a small plastic dish that is part of a plastic potted plant cup/holder purchased at Home Depot.

This installation has worked very well for me. This is one of two sensors that I have mounted in this fasion.

Comment

Here is a picture of the installation. The updside-down "plate" is a small plastic dish that is part of a plastic potted plant cup/holder purchased at Home Depot.

This installation has worked very well for me. This is one of two sensors that I have mounted in this fasion.
          ooops. The link didn't post. here is the URL...

http://zwavesensorpicture.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

Comment

Hum... how would water get above this sensor in the first place?

Comment

Here's the image for future reference.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's the idea behind up high under the overhang... the wind does blow, however and water will run along the under the eve during a storm. The "plate" is added protection. Whether it's effective in that regard is anyone's call, but it's been running for two years.

the other detector mounted similarly in a corner, but under a deck. In that case, the water will run through the deck planks above so the "plate" is more active there...

Comment

That's the idea behind up high under the overhang... the wind does blow, however and water will run along the under the eve during a storm. The "plate" is added protection. Whether it's effective in that regard is anyone's call, but it's been running for two years.

the other detector mounted similarly in a corner, but under a deck. In that case, the water will run through the deck planks above so the "plate" is more active there...
                  Ah, makes sense and it's cheap protection.

Comment

I see a new product offering... ;-) take the material that is used for the motion sensor cover and create an enclosed, water-proof, cylinder. of course, you still have the circuit board issue with the changing temps...

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I see a new product offering... ;-) take the material that is used for the motion sensor cover and create an enclosed, water-proof, cylinder. of course, you still have the circuit board issue with the changing temps...

Thanks for the reply.
                      Yea, I'm not sure why they do not simply seal these from the get go.

Comment

The only challenge beyond the moisture problem of being outdoors, is the limited temperature range. It only reports temperatures between 32 and 104 degrees. Here in Detroit, it's 7 degrees outside according to my Davis weather station.

I guess that's another reason to move out of Michigan besides the unemployment rate!

-Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                        HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

this is a good idea......

I think I might buy another one and put it under the eve near my front door......

I think I will just use hot glue over the conponents to seal them (not over the sensor) and maybe harvest the sensor cover and housing from a cheap motion outdoor light.....
                          hmm

Comment

Working...
                          X