Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Use HSM100 as a repeater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use HSM100 as a repeater

Hi,

Has anyone managed to use a HSM100 successfully as a repeater?

I'm using one HSM100 powered by a DC adapter and am trying to use that one as a repeater for other HSM100 sensors that are too far from the Z-wave USB controller. I have successfully managed to make the powered HSM100 a "Listener" (by using the Always On setting and then remove and add the device back) but it does not seem to work as a repeater, even after repeated "optimise" attempts (and yes I pushed the blue button on the other HSMs). I also have removed and then added back the powered HSM100 but nothing seems to make it behave as a repeater.

Anyone a clue or is there another way to get an extended range for the HSM100?

Thanks,
    Jan

The HSM100 has to be powered - see this link: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...owering+hsm100 after you are running the HSM100 on electric then you will need to update the configuration: Sleep-State to Always On then it will act as a repeater in the nework

Comment

Kaldoon, the OP stated that his were powered by a DC adapter and configured to "Always On".

Jan, what are you using to determine that the HSMs aren't routing?

M

Comment

Hi manxam, kaldoon,

The HSM100 is indeed powered by an adaptor and always-on. From your answers I deduct you have been able to successfully use the HSM100 as a repeater, is that correct?

The reason why I came to the conclusion it's not working as a repeater is 3-fold:
        - the battery powered HSM sensors that are further away from the Z-troller do not communicate properly with the Z-troller; the plan was to use the HSM-with-adaptor-and-Always-On as the repeater but it seems not to relay the signal from the other sensors
        - in the status field in the Homeseer set-up screen it shows "Listener True" which is good but it does indicate 0 neighbours
        - using Z-Seer the HSM-with-adaptor-and-Always-On does not show any neighbours. I've tried to optimise a number of times and have tried to remove and add the HSM100s but nothing seems to make the HSM-with-adaptor-and-Always-On recognise his neighbours.

It would be great if you could share your experience on how you got it to work. Thanks very much.

Kind regards,
        Jan

Comment

I dont have one of these sensors, but I notice in the zwho page that the Z-Wave command class capabilities show whether or not a device is capable of ROUTING. What does the zwho page say about the sensor?
          Attached Files
          HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
          64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
          UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
          Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

After that option is set, you have to remove it from the network, and then re-add it to the network, and at this point it should be a repeater.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Don't get it to work - have removed and added the device back in after setting the "Always On" option. As you can see in the picture there are a few HSM100s configured as Listener but they don't seem to pick up the neighbours. Any clue?

Thanks,
              Jan
              Attached Files

Comment

How old are these HSM100's. If memory serves me correctly there was a firmware upgrade to some older units to enable this functionality.
                -Rupp
                sigpic

Comment

Some are 18 months old (you can see a few that have App 1.9) but a number of them were purchased recently (they have App 1.12). I've tried both versions but still can't get it to work. So far I have also not heard from anyone that has reported they are actually using the HSM100 as a repeater which makes me wonder. I have noticed that with the 1.12 version I can apparently set additional FW parameters but there is no indication anywhere that would be required or what parameter to set.

Comment

Jan, I've yet to attempt this however I'm a little confused by what I'm seeing on your WHOAMI page. All of my BATTERY powered HSM100s show a neighbour status but I notice that none of your do. I would assume the problem originates there.

Regarding using these as repeaters, I'm not sure it works exactly as Homeseer would have you believe anyways. I recently purchased some plug in modules to extend my network as I have a couple nodes on the fringe of the network. Despite adding these modules (which have a dozen or so neighbours), I can't FORCE my switches to route through them so they've done nothing to help my network. 2 of them are placed within 5 feet of a wall switch that can BARELY communicate directly with the controller and it won't route through the new modules.

I think that adding a secondary/remote controller to your network (and what I may have to do) may be your fix.

Having said that, the hsm100 sensors and zwave in general is pissing me off so I may jump ship to UPB. I may have a 2 month old z-troller for sale!

Comment

Working...
                    X