5V too much power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5V too much power?

would it be safe to run 5V power to an HSM100 or would that cause the system to fry? i know that it takes 3 AAA batteries which is 4.5 volt but 5V would make my life much easier.

Thanks

Drabert

Originally posted by Drabbies View Post
    would it be safe to run 5V power to an HSM100 or would that cause the system to fry? i know that it takes 3 AAA batteries which is 4.5 volt but 5V would make my life much easier.

Thanks

Drabert
    HI Drabert.

I think you need to look here.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...owering+hsm100

I hope this helps you.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Thanks Greig. I found that while i was searching but they mostly just say to reduce the power. I was just checking to see if 5V would still be ok without needing to drop the voltage more. A friend of mine is helping me connect the HSM100 with my current alarm wiring in my house so i will not need to use batteries and can poll information more often from the sensor. I like the idea of checking temperature and light level more often than ever hour but would hate to be replacing that many batteries. Since my house came pre-wired with an alarm system, i was just going to use the power running to the alarm motion sensors to power my HSM100 units. Its a 12 volt system and we can very easily drop it to 5V, but when it comes to also putting a "ziener" to get it to 4.5, the board is going to get a little cramped. If i can do it without the ziener, all will be well in the world

Do we know who is the actual manufacture of the HSM100? maybe they have the actual specs on its voltage tolerances.

Comment

Just use an adjustable LVDO.

Then it's the part and 2 resistors (maybe 1 cap if you want to be nice...2 if you want to be really nice about it).

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Drabbies View Post
          Thanks Greig. I found that while i was searching but they mostly just say to reduce the power. I was just checking to see if 5V would still be ok without needing to drop the voltage more. A friend of mine is helping me connect the HSM100 with my current alarm wiring in my house so i will not need to use batteries and can poll information more often from the sensor. I like the idea of checking temperature and light level more often than ever hour but would hate to be replacing that many batteries. Since my house came pre-wired with an alarm system, i was just going to use the power running to the alarm motion sensors to power my HSM100 units. Its a 12 volt system and we can very easily drop it to 5V, but when it comes to also putting a "ziener" to get it to 4.5, the board is going to get a little cramped. If i can do it without the ziener, all will be well in the world

Do we know who is the actual manufacture of the HSM100? maybe they have the actual specs on its voltage tolerances.
          Just purchase a 1N4004 1 Amp diode from Radio Shack and put it in series with the 5V supply. This diode has a forward drop voltage of about 0.6V so your output will be just under 4.5V
          Jon

Comment

I had some power <-> usb adapters lying around, which should be 5 volt. Its been running for over a year now connected to it with no problems.

Comment

A 4.5v rated AC/DC adapter bought at the Shack reads 5.44 on my Fluke and it's running my HSM100 fine. I read that some people hardwire them on 6v wall warts they have around. Use the 5v, move on to something fun.

It's like you'll never find a house that runs at 120v, yet you'll plug in many devices that ask for 120v without a moment of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeve View Post
                A 4.5v rated AC/DC adapter bought at the Shack reads 5.44 on my Fluke and it's running my HSM100 fine. I read that some people hardwire them on 6v wall warts they have around. Use the 5v, move on to something fun.

It's like you'll never find a house that runs at 120v, yet you'll plug in many devices that ask for 120v without a moment of thought.
                I totally agree. It's only 10% over nominal. 3 fresh "D" batteries will measure slightly higher anyway.
                Mike

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X