No announcement yet.

Is HSM100 worth the risk of losing $90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is HSM100 worth the risk of losing $90?

The HSM100 meets the needs of something I'm looking for but there seems to be a lot of posts here listing a whole bunch of problems with this device. Is this device worth spending $90 ?
    In forums such as these unfortunately you only hear from folks that have problems, I'd appreciate it if folks that have used this device without any issues post their positive experience here.
    I'm guessing that using this device with motion sensing enabled in a high traffic area is bound to drain batteries very fast. Is there a control to disable and re-enable motion sensing when needed ?
    Also, the $25 firmware update charge sounds like bad business policy. I can understand if the new firmware adds new functionality but if it's just fixing bugs this doesn't sound right. I'm hoping though that new devices will come with the latest firmware.

There are several posts about hard-wiring them instead of using batteries. I bought one, modded it, but have not installed it yet. You're right though - it's a tough price-point at $90.
    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
    64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I have one that is hard-wired and set it to always awake. It did not work very good after that.

When it saw it's first motion after setting it to always awake, it never timed out to indicate that there was no motion for the prescribed time in the settings.

I have not been real happy with my HSM100

Comment

I have two that I hard-wired, but I didn't set them at always on. But I set them to get woken up at the shortest time available. They seem to be working fairly good for me. I don't think the constant motion would do anything to the batteries, unless the motion is shortly after the no-motion. These don't continue to send motion commands like the x10 units, unless they go to no-motion first.

Comment

Ok, so it appears that leaving this "always on" is not a good idea. I saw several posts complaining about not receiving "No Motion" when always On. For my intended use, external power is not an option. How about temperature & luminosity, I'd like to find out from current users if these have been reliable. I did see some posts with problems in these readings as well but I'm wondering if there are others using the HSM100 without these issues.

rmasonjr, do keep us posted on how your HSM100 performs.

Comment

I gave up on mine.

Comment

I don't use the temp or light levels for anything, but I think the temp readings are fairly accurate. I never did understand the light level readings, because i have one in my garage and the light would shut off, but the light level would still read around 20%. So I don't know when it gets updated, maybe at the next "wakeup" but that could be anywhere from 6 mins to whenever, so I wonder what good it really is.

Comment

Have a 1/2 dozen of the HSM100 Sensors in the network - 2 outside. Have been using these sensors since they rolled out. Work very well in my network utilizing Motion, Temperature and Illumination - none are hardwired - all are being utilized in the network controlling Lighting, Temperature and Fan Speeds

Comment

Working...
                X