HSM-100 S3 Issues - Looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased one of these a little over a month ago. It installed easily enough, but stopped reporting after about 2+ weeks.

After a couple weeks more I finally took it down, replaced the batteries (several times) and haven't been able to get it to function reliably since.

I'm concerned since there are lot of issues reported in this forum. Does this unit work reliably for anyone?

I've deleted the unit and re-added it to to the Z-wave controller several times. The symptoms are that after it goes to sleep, it never seems to wake up, unless I press the button. If I press the button I can interact with it fine, but as soon as it goes to sleep, it never responds again.

Any suggestions? I've spent at least 2 hours with this one device. All my other Z-wave devices have been reliable from day 1.

I'm using the Aeon Z-stick II as a controller. Never have a problem with it.

The last couple of times adding the device the battery and motion devices that are created never update, even when initially added.

Frustrating to say the least, especially when the documentation that came with the device was inaccurate/outdated. Looks like the forum is the only place to go.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Where did you purchase this hardware? What firmware version is on the device? What version of HS are you running? Lastly, does the device have an association set to HomeSeer?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

Purchased directly from Homeseer.

From "Who Am I": 3.40 (ZDK Version 4.54) App: 3.4

During most of this I was running 2.5.0.80, about 3/4 through troubleshooting upgraded to 2.5.0.81 this morning.

Yes, every time I've checked associations, Homeseer is listed as Group 1, ID 1.

Comment

Does it work if you move it closer to your Z-Wave controller?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No, distance doesn't seem to make a difference. Much of the troubleshooting was within 24 inches of the controller. As soon as the unit sleeps, it never wakes up again.

For example, I have the LED enabled, and as long as it's awake, the LED flashes with motion. Within a couple of minutes of pushing the button the LED never flashes again, including if I wave my hand over it.

Also, the documentation says that the unit will stay awake for 10 minutes after pushing the button. Seems more like about 60 seconds.

All that being said, as soon as I push the button on the unit, it responds again until it sleeps.

Comment

Argh

I just purchased three of these and my experience has been fairly similar to yours. I can't figure out whether it's something I'm doing or the product just literally does not work.

All three of mine appear to get stuck... I have two sitting right next to each other, and one is reporting luminosity of 34% while the other reports 84%, and neither has updated in the last half hour. They also report wildly different temperatures (67.1F vs. 63.9F).

These things are probably getting returned as defective... what's a better alternative?

Comment

I have several of these purchased a few months ago, and the first one I installed seemed to have that narcolepsy issue on batteries. I put all of mine on AC power, always on, and they respond just fine. I'm not a fan of using these things on batteries.

The temperature issue is one I've mentioned in other threads. None of the Zwave multisensors are accurate. When I get the time, I'll come up with a script to compensate. I have also noticed that there is a good deal of variance in luminosity readings in what I assumed to be a totally dark room. Only one of my sensors ever gets to near 0, but I always assumed that was just a difference in the rooms.

Comment

Negative on HSM100

I have 10 of these HSM100 for couple of years now. Used them as motion sensors only. They are average quality motion sensors and do work at short distance. The sensitivity level has to be set @ 200 or below for reliable operation. If it is over 200 than many false triggers happen.

I decided to use those as temperature sensors lately and I'm totally disappointed. They do not report temperature timely as they are programmed to do. For example it is 1PM now and the most "recent" reports from several of them are between 4AM and 5AM or 9 hours earlier. They are programmed to report every 30 min. and this is essential since they drive my HVAC system in real time. One may argue that it is a battery issue, however all of the batteries were changed lately and they all report 90% and above. Another argument could be that there is not change of temperature hence no report. This is not true either, since the temperature is significantly higher than the one from the last report.

Question is is there a cure to this problem and if not than does HS take them back for a refund.

Comment

Perhaps it is just me, but 30 minutes seems like a long time between polling for use as a thermostat. In any case, I have been much more happy with these units since I put them on a 5v wall wart.

Comment

What method are you using to make them A/C?

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                      No, distance doesn't seem to make a difference. Much of the troubleshooting was within 24 inches of the controller. As soon as the unit sleeps, it never wakes up again.

For example, I have the LED enabled, and as long as it's awake, the LED flashes with motion. Within a couple of minutes of pushing the button the LED never flashes again, including if I wave my hand over it.

Also, the documentation says that the unit will stay awake for 10 minutes after pushing the button. Seems more like about 60 seconds.

All that being said, as soon as I push the button on the unit, it responds again until it sleeps.
                      Do you only have 1 unit that acts this way?
                      Seems like it doesn't like your batteries for some reason.
                      It should stay awake (led lights when there is motion) for 10 min after pressing the blue button. If it doesn't, then it thinks the batteries are dead and is going completely to sleep forever to prevent causing the batteries from leaking.

See http://www.expresscontrols.com/pdf/E...wnerManual.pdf for details on how to power the unit with a simple USB wall wart.

Comment

Compare that manual with the one that's in the box from Homeseer. That's the first time I've Seen any comprehensive description of the z-wave parameters.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Its the same for me

I am working with one now. The batteries are fairly new, as I bought them and put them in a couple days ago.

Basically, If the unit goes to sleep.. it stay asleep until I hit the blue button. I can't seem to get the motion to trigger consistently. I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly, or if its the unit itself. Out of frustration I came here, to the forums and can see that others are experiencing similar behavior.

Has anyone got one of these working stable? What did you do to get it so?

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. I will try out a power supply and see if it resolves my issues.

Comment

Be sure the sensor is Associated with Homeseer. HS3 automatically assigns association when you joined it to the ZWave network. But check it and make sure it works. The HSM100 has to be awake when you are configuring and checking the association so push the blue button then you have 10min to check things.

Always configure the unit while it's sitting with a few feet of your ZWave interface (Z-Stick or ZTroller etc). Then move it to the final location and run a full optimize at least twice.

If you're not getting anything after the sensor is asleep, missing Association is the most common problem.

Note that the sensor sends an ON command when motion is seen. Then it sends an OFF command when NO-MOTION has been detected for the parameter OnTime minutes (default is 20 min). So if you keep waving your hand in front of the sensor expecting to send another ON command, it will NOT do that. That's not how it works. Read the manual...

Comment

Working...
                              X