Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with my IWAC07?

I think I've received a lemon:

When I plugged my IWAC07 in to my POE switch (Cisco SG300-28P) the blue LED on the back of the unit started to pulse and my switch registered low power use of just 4-500mW but the screen never lights up.

I have several Mobotix IP cameras on the switch using around 3000mW each, and IP phones (panasonic, snom and yealinks), but the total use is still far from the max of the switch: 30W used out of total 180W available.

Is this normal? I've left it for hours and the screen never lights up, even after pressing the buttons.

I have another PoE switch which I can try on (a Zyxel 8 ports), I'll try it and report back later.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

I have the same switch and had the same problem. I ended up just grabbing a spare POE injector and used that instead. HS sells them as well. I think the Cisco's follow the POE spec to the letter and expect feedback from the device, and some of the cheaper POE units don't respond in a manner that Cisco accepts.

POE is not a standard. There are many different flavors vendors use, some even require only their specific POE injector. Some are 24vdc others (supposed std) are 48vdc.

A vs B wiring is a good thought, never considered that. Be curious to hear the outcome.

Z
    Last edited by vasrc; June 25, 2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I noticed kind of a similiar problem a couple of years ago with a test IP POE camera that I was playing with using a POE injector. I forgot what it was but typically I utilize 568A or 568B wiring standards for everything. For this particular set up I had to wire differently which really shouldn't have made a difference. It was over 150 feet (30 meters) and it should work either 568A or 568B. It didn't.

It makes for a one off odd set up. That said testing the in wall touch screen I only utilized a standard single 48VAC power injector to one office wall jack and it worked just fine. I never did connect it to a POE switch or midstream injector.

Leo, Try a short cable first right next to the POE switch and see it if works; then try switching from whatever wiring standard you are using (568A to 568B or vice versa). I understand it shouldn't make a difference but it did for me. (its that whole legacy versus modern POE standard)
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks vasrc, Pete.

I didn't know that PoE is not an ISO standard of some sort...

Anyway I've tried the screen with a Zyxel 8 port PoE on a short cable, and surprise... the blue LED lighted up continuously and the screen lighted up with an image of charging battery icon (?) The icon showed the battery at 75% charged, so I left it awhile and after 10 minutes it's almost like 90% charged up, so I left it for awhile. After nearly 2 hours, the blinking battery stayed at 90%, then I tried to restart the unit (unplug and replug). THEN it showed the android icecream sandwich logo (boot up?) and it seems to be stuck showing graphic effect of dripping water.

It seems to be stuck there even after I left it for 30 minutes or so and touching all parts of the screen and pressing all buttons.

What am I missing here?
        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

Well this is pretty disappointing...

Considering I've purchased this on their first sale, then they missed my order and didn't ship it for 2+ months (only after I sent them an email asking about it)...

During the delay, they've done another sale offering the unit at $30 lower than my purchase price, I thought it would only be fair to ask for the discount since they've messed my order for 2 months and I could've purchased the product on the 2nd sale... then the customer service rep asked me if I wanted the $30 refund, which I've missed replying because I was in a middle of a hiking trip when he sent me the email... and when I got back I emailed him about the refund and he blamed me for not replying any sooner and that he would have to ask his supervisor again about the refund.

Really?

Comment

POE has a standard, there's just two or more of them (802.3af/at). Like many IEEE stds, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be followed

Nonetheless, if you get the Android Ice Cream displayed you should be set once you see the sandwich "fill in". Just click on the power button again and you should see the normal android main display. I vaguely remember my HS IWAC07 came preloaded with HStouch?? I use a slightly larger display from another vendor that supports camera and Wifi.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
              Well this is pretty disappointing...

Considering I've purchased this on their first sale, then they missed my order and didn't ship it for 2+ months (only after I sent them an email asking about it)...

During the delay, they've done another sale offering the unit at $30 lower than my purchase price, I thought it would only be fair to ask for the discount since they've messed my order for 2 months and I could've purchased the product on the 2nd sale... then the customer service rep asked me if I wanted the $30 refund, which I've missed replying because I was in a middle of a hiking trip when he sent me the email... and when I got back I emailed him about the refund and he blamed me for not replying any sooner and that he would have to ask his supervisor again about the refund.

Really?
              HS has always been fair with me, so see what Mark says. They do have some valid points though, you have to make a cut off date somewhere....

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                POE has a standard, there's just two or more of them (802.3af/at). Like many IEEE stds, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be followed

Nonetheless, if you get the Android Ice Cream displayed you should be set once you see the sandwich "fill in". Just click on the power button again and you should see the normal android main display. I vaguely remember my HS IWAC07 came preloaded with HStouch?? I use a slightly larger display from another vendor that supports camera and Wifi.

Z
                Ah yes... I've got some Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points that advertised 'PoE' and came with their own 24w injectors but then again, they've never claimed any standard after I reread their marketing materials.

Hmm I'll try again later. It seemed stuck at the ice cream sandwich display with water dripping visual effects. I thought I've already pressed the power button a few times to no effect.

Btw, what brand is your display? Does it support PoE too?

Comment

HS has always been fair with me, so see what Mark says. They do have some valid points though, you have to make a cut off date somewhere....

Z
                  Good idea.
                  I don't think the guy who took care of my emails is a customer service guy.
                  How can I get ahold of Mark?

edit: nvm.. it's macromark, right?

Comment

Here I redid my firmware on the originally purchased touchscreen.

That said I have trashed the FW once from my constant rebooting of the device.

I just reloaded my originally modified FW (5 minutes) to get back to where I left it at.

I think though there is a "safe" mode and repair boot; but not sure how to utilize it on the HS offered touch screen.
                    Last edited by Pete; June 25, 2013, 03:39 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
                      Ah yes... I've got some Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points that advertised 'PoE' and came with their own 24w injectors but then again, they've never claimed any standard after I reread their marketing materials.
                      I use Ubiquiti as well (great company), and had the same problem with the Cisco not powering them up.

Hmm I'll try again later. It seemed stuck at the ice cream sandwich display with water dripping visual effects. I thought I've already pressed the power button a few times to no effect.
                      Once you get the water effects, you should be able to power up with the power button?

Btw, what brand is your display? Does it support PoE too?
                      Generic Chinese from Geekland.co
                      Yes, it works with the Cisco switch.
                      Still haven't found my favorite yet, and this isn't it, nor the HS one (although both are functional)

Z

Comment

@Pete
                        Thanks Pete, I think I will stick with the default rom for now. I'm not an android guy (except that one time I was messing with a Moto Droid and cooked ROMs) and I think I will be truly inefficient if I were to dabble into that again now...

@vasrc
                        Yes, they actually state it in their spec (and box) about 24w PoE (standard is 48w), and they sell converter dongles that can take 48W PoE and output 24W so you don't have to mess with injectors. At $20 a piece.

I will try to power it up again later. I hope it works.

I wonder if the best setup is just to have an empty space in your wall with a hinged frame to conceal regular tablet, its charging cable and power adapter behind? That way we can drop the latest tablet flavor (ipad, galaxytab, whatnot)

Btw, thanks for sending me to Mark. He set it straight in record time!!

Comment

Yes, they actually state it in their spec (and box) about 24w PoE (standard is 48w), and they sell converter dongles that can take 48W PoE and output 24W so you don't have to mess with injectors. At $20 a piece.
                          Did you get them to work off of the Cisco? For some reason I remember having problems with them, but that was months ago. I also read some reports about them getting really hot, so location was important

I wonder if the best setup is just to have an empty space in your wall with a hinged frame to conceal regular tablet, its charging cable and power adapter behind? That way we can drop the latest tablet flavor (ipad, galaxytab, whatnot)
                          Make sure you pick a large wall. The way things are progressing, homes will soon have a wall size centralized control display (Obviously way too much SciFi in my diet)
                          Humm.. maybe the 72" Samsung with hand control is the way to go...

Z

Comment

Did you get them to work off of the Cisco? For some reason I remember having problems with them, but that was months ago. I also read some reports about them getting really hot, so location was important
                            Yep. These are the guys I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-802-3...dp/B005VSY0KM/

I put them in line between my SG300-28 and the patch panel, and they powered my Unifi APs just fine. I think I've read somewhere that this may help (or worsen) the noise issue that some Unifi exhibit because signals at 48W deteriorate less over long distance compared to 24w or something to that effect? I remember hearing some static noise from the Unifi units which got louder the more traffic the AP was handling before putting in those dongles.

Make sure you pick a large wall. The way things are progressing, homes will soon have a wall size centralized control display (Obviously way too much SciFi in my diet)
                            Humm.. maybe the 72" Samsung with hand control is the way to go...
                            Haha.. I thought they're gonna disappear when everyone has their own Google Glass... or portable Oculus Rifts.

Comment

Nonetheless, if you get the Android Ice Cream displayed you should be set once you see the sandwich "fill in". Just click on the power button again and you should see the normal android main display. I vaguely remember my HS IWAC07 came preloaded with HStouch??
                              Just tried it again, and it doesn't work that way on my IWAC07. When the ice cream sandwich graphic filled up, there were visual effect of water drops and that's it. I tried pressing the power button (quick click, short click, normal click, longer click) and it has no effect.

I know the power button works, because when I held it down continously for ~5 seconds, then the screen went blank and the device seemed to reboot.

Android OS 4.0
                              Kernel 3.0.8
                              Build Number 1.5.2

Is there anything else that I should be doing to get this thing working???

Comment

Working...
                              X