Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HST-IW07 - still worth buying?

Guys

Just looking for advice here - I see there are quite a few HST-IW07 around used these days - are they still worth buying?

Are there limitations in terms of what they will do with the current HS software releases?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Personally purchased an original one, redid the OS (cooking it a bit), using it for a bit but never installing it. I did sell mine (well gave it to another homeseer user) having never installed it and just playing with it for a bit then leaving it to gather dust.

I went back to Wintel (embedded) for all of my touchscreens (large and small). It's just easier to remote control them sans any OS stuff via Jon00's remote control program. IE: have abandoned use of Android anything now for HSTouch (also switched phones over to Windows mobile). I did also have a couple of Arm based CE touchscreens going (well now off) for a while.

IE: I have tested up to 15 Homeseer touch clients running on XPe (jogglers) and it works well. Other touch screens (4:3) are using Aopen Digital engines today. I have one configured using embedded Windows 7/Atom which works fine and another using the PipoX7/Windows 10.

Testing the PiPoX7 with a larger 16:9 multitouch screen and Windows 10. Issue here is when I suspend it it shuts down the NIC port and I cannot wake it. Actually it also shuts down the NIC when I sleep the screen which is dinging my efforts. You can now also purchase a PiPoX8 which dual boots Android or Windows 10 for around $120 here on Amazon. This has a small 8" capacitance screen on it.

The Jogglers are a combination of a hardware modification (replaced EFI BIOS with a SeaBios) and using a 16Gb SSD (even though an 8Gb SSD will work).

They do only have 500Mb of RAM based on an Intel designed motherboard with HD graphics.
    Last edited by Pete; October 17, 2015, 06:42 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
    Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the reply Pete

I did wonder what alternative windows or android devices were around, or even just use an android tablet and make up an in-wall mount for them.

Thats a shame with the pipx08 - looks a bargain, but the power issue is a pain.... I was considering one of the many Chinese POE to dc supplies to power the tablet (or whatever).

The other thing that concerned me was how power management works... at the end of the day the display should not really need any horsepower, so even an atom would consume more than is desirable. perhaps my break from HS has clouded my view of how dumb a touchscreen needs to be!

Are there any cheap in wall alternatives? WAF might be better than a bit of mdf that has had a quick run round the edges with my router!

There must be some cheap Chinese in wall screens somewhere...

David

Comment

I'm the fortunate one that Pete helped out. My previous unit died, leaving me with a large unattractive hole in the wall. I was more than disappointed when I couldn't get anyone at HST to sell me a replacement or advise me of a place to find a replacement.

Thanks to Pete's kindness, I had a replacement to put in the wall, but as things go, that also went into loco mode and I once again, I have no replacement.

I guess what I'm suggesting is to be careful with something that can't easily be replaced.

Would love to find an windows alternative that would last more than three or four months.
        Don

Comment

Sorry to hear about your device Don.

BTW I basically told Sibo off a few years ago relating to their product. They are still on my S-List.

Here relating to my PiPoX7 will check out the sleepy time with it. It really though can stay on as it uses only a few watts; so ideally just shutting off the screen should suffice. Thinking I have updated the drivers. The older touchscreens use more power and I do suspend them at night.

The Jogglers stay on and the screens go off at night. I can also dim them to barely bright which I like. Personally the Jogglers make the nicest night stand table tablets as they are tiny and have a nice look to them.

BTW the Pipox7 has been on 24/7 now for over a month or two and I have not had any issues with it.

The multi touch touchscreen is thin and the back control pieces is small (small hole in wall) where you could have a larger in wall touchscreen and just velcro the PipoX7 to the back of it. Most power draw will be the touchscreen.

Letting it go to dim right now and will ping the interface. If I can ping it then remote controlling it will not be an issue. That was my original issue.

Tested it just now and it still shuts off the nic when screen is going off. What a PITA. Maybe the Pipox8 is different?

The new PiPoX8 would probably fit nicely in the wall and you could POE power it.

You can remote control to it via VNC or touch or bluetooh.

The new Windows tablets are nice but only wireless which I do not like; but they are only a bit more now than the Android tablets.

The PiPoX8 is now priced at around $100 with free shipping and dual booting to Android and Microsoft.
          Last edited by Pete; October 17, 2015, 01:16 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi Pete

What OS do you run on the jogglers?

I did look at them a while back, and did not realise there were so many still around!

Do you have them mounted in wall at all?

Don - may I ask what was the fault that killed your IW07?

David

Comment

What OS do you run on the jogglers?

I have XPe on them running off an SSD drive / replaced EFI bios with Seabios ('86).

They also have a DECT radio and Zigbee chip in them.

They were made way ahead of their time. You can find them for around $35 USD unmodified.

The only PITA part is to solder a ZIF PATA port for the SSD drive on the motherboard.

That said there are Openpeak Joggler look a likes that are around and these were used by the Telco's / Utility companies as kiosks. These already have a PATA port in them.

I have seen a few wall mounted Jogglers. You can easily just mount the LCD part of the Joggler and mod a back piece for wall mounting. The OpenPeak 2 (7) device with the speakers in the front has a removable table bracket such that you can just hang the device on a wall.

I have documented the pieces of the mods here but easier if you just go to the Joggler forum. I am pete there too. Joggler runs Ubuntu, Android or Windows. Most modification pieces only relate to Windows.

Here run HS touch client for windows, SAPI (speaker dot exe) and remote them with Jon's remote control stuff. Works great.

Don has a full XP service pack 3 lite version on his Joggler. Ask him how he likes it.

Relating to the IW07 it is probably some bad RW's on a cheap MMC in the device. A fresh boot and rewrite of the OS would extend the life of it. That said no base USB boot restore was ever offered by HST or Sibo.

I redid mine IWO7 (Don's) with a cooked Android build that could be replaced via USB stick. Just guessing. It is a multi-step process but it is straight forward. Just a PITA to do.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pete; October 17, 2015, 03:06 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
              X