Managed POE 4-Port inwall switch for two tabletop touchscreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed POE 4-Port inwall switch for two tabletop touchscreens

Here have been using POE for all of my connected tabletop touchscreens and newer IP HD IP CCTV cameras.

Mostly running now the POE stuff with a managed Tycon midstream injector.

That said I do also have some a number of smaller POE switches that I have been playing with. TP-Link, Netgear, Tycon and Airlink.

I have created a bit of a kludge for connecting two table touchscreen tablets for the two nightstand tablets because I have only one network cat5e connection that I am using. This was originally used for the telephone line. All of my telephone lines though were done up with cat5e by telco many years ago (I was impressed).

I found a new device today that I was not aware of and purchased a couple of these. Note the original price for these was $160 to $220 each a few years back. Today they are still being sold at these prices.

The device was known as a 3COM Intellijack NJ220. HP still sells these today and they are Gb.

I personally purchased a couple of these today to play with for less than $20 each. Personally I have never seen a managed 4 port switch this small. Note that its only a 10/100Mb switch. It does though fit inside of a regular single box which is where my network port is at behind the bed in the master bedroom. The pictured one is the one that I purchased. This comes with a passthrough for telco or network. It is black and I would have preferred a white one; but its behind the bed anyways and will not be seen.

I am guessing that many folks will be purchasing two of these relating to WAF. That said this device will provide you with two POE connections from one network connection. You can power the device via a POE network source or locally with a POE power supply.

The original 3Com manual, user guide and datasheet are attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; March 8, 2014, 02:12 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Received two of the above mentioned 3COM Intellijack NJ220s yesterday.

Two issues with the switch which I have made known to the seller:

1 - The switch was sold without the passthru plate. Not sold as pictured or described.
    2 - The management of said tiny switch is currently locked with an unknown password.

Doing a google search on said issue #2 above; you would have to send the switch back to 3Com to reset the password to default; which is "password". There is a reset switch on the switch and it sets everything to default except for the password.

Another way is to utilize a network penetration attach tool. Easy if you can find the tool documented here:

The above noted; you can use it as it is (defaults) and look at it via the 3Com application; but not update or change it; which will work just fine. By default it uses a DHCP address. You can change the address to a static address using your firewall. (which I did). Here I was just looking for something smaller than a switch to put behind the nightstand.
    Last edited by Pete; March 16, 2014, 10:53 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Tested the cat5e again reconnecting the wire via patch panels to the POE switch. Works.

Thinking now of installing the second 3Com Intellijack in a spare bedroom for testing multiple tabletop tablets in the spare bedrooms (already kind of doing this today).

Here a a few pictures.

The new/old HP/3Com Intellijack is Gb but its much larger than this one. It would be low on the WAF to put one of these behind a nightstand.

I wish HP made a Gb/POE switch this size and added it to their Intellijack line.

This is replacing a kludge with a small switch connected to the single port for two nightstand tabletop tablets.

I am amazed though at the size of this managed switch.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pete; March 16, 2014, 12:52 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Note that I did this installation for my wired tabletop POE connected touchscreens; Jogglers.

I was not aware that the new HSTouch table top tablet was only a wireless device.

My current table top wired devices are either at 1Gb or 100Mbs right now. I do have one which I have been testing with wireless and a wired Gb connection. Mostly the live TV stuff on this one. Will test the live TV stuff on the wireless connection to see how well it does.
        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just a follow up message.

The two 3Com Intellijacks that I purchased are locked with a password. That said they are both working fine. I did open up a ticket with HP regarding this issue.

I also contacted the vendor selling them (got them for almost free based on a ticket opened with Ebay).

HP can fix these at a cost; which is expensive. That said they are JTAGing them and resetting the password per a conversation with HP technical support.

The above noted; if you buy one or two; make sure the vendor supplies you with the password.

I have left the two that I purchased online at the default settings of DHCP and mapping the mac address to a static DHCP address which is working fine for me.

Personally here amazed with a managed switch (well I can't really manage it) that fits inside of a single duplex box.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
          X