Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try a Sibo tablet top touchscreen Google search.

Note too as soon as you add automation to your search the price does go up a bit. (IE: automation tabletop touchscreen).

I do not think though they are $50 but do not know. Probably under $100.

Yes and the Openpeak devices involved a bit of tinkering, IE: taking it apart, finding a 15cm long ZIF cable, tiny SSD and replacing the original EFI boot bios to an almost Intel like '86 BIOS.

There has been no tabletop small footprint dual atom based capacitance touchscreen designed similarly to date.

That said the PiPo tabletops are sort of differently designed. I personally like the specs but do not like the design.

It would be nice if there was a regular tablet tabletop holder with wired power / network instead of wireless charging.

Leviton HAI makes a tabletop shell for their legacy in wall touchscreens.

Last edited by Pete; January 21, 2016, 03:13 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete, that was easy.
      Don

Comment

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai....29.342.S9XBeo

I had this saved, I guess Pete's just to fast!!
        Tom
        baby steps...starting again with HS3
        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I was just looking for their email, but can't find it. I had written them a while back, and I do believe it was below a $100, but the shipping was bout $75-80(air).
          Tom

Comment

Too bad there isn't a Joggler equivalent. Hard to beat that design.
            Don

Comment

Pete I have always admired the stuff you have done with the jogglers. So much so that I had actually come really close to buying a lot of 5 off of ebay a few years ago. I think after adding up all the time, and extra parts I decided against it. If HS does not come out with a replacement tabletop unit, perhaps it is possible to do a custom tabletop touchscreen device?

Years ago I thought of attempting one with a little capacitance based touchscreen @ 1080p in the ~7" size--kinda like a lilliput computing screen used for carPC's. Make a custom wood enclosure for it, and put some kind of nanoITX or similar MB with SSD, small speaker, mic, picoPSU, (hiding the brick in the case), and installing windows on it. It's a lot of work. The problem is I never really found a good touchscreen. It would have to have a glass cover IMHO, and just look as nice as a modern tablet screen.

Perhaps in this day and age a pi and android would be better.

Have you put any thought into something similar?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                Pete I have always admired the stuff you have done with the jogglers. So much so that I had actually come really close to buying a lot of 5 off of ebay a few years ago. I think after adding up all the time, and extra parts I decided against it. If HS does not come out with a replacement tabletop unit, perhaps it is possible to do a custom tabletop touchscreen device?

Years ago I thought of attempting one with a little capacitance based touchscreen @ 1080p in the ~7" size--kinda like a lilliput computing screen used for carPC's. Make a custom wood enclosure for it, and put some kind of nanoITX or similar MB with SSD, small speaker, mic, picoPSU, (hiding the brick in the case), and installing windows on it. It's a lot of work. The problem is I never really found a good touchscreen. It would have to have a glass cover IMHO, and just look as nice as a modern tablet screen.

Perhaps in this day and age a pi and android would be better.

Have you put any thought into something similar?
                You don't have to do anything with the Jogglers other than using a memory card. I burn the Android image to a micro sd card, plug it in the side, boot up and install HSTouch and you are up and running. I used a low profile USB>uSD adaptor so you barely see it.

When they first came out (pre droid image) the Linux distro was a bit of a pain to get the right packages and Linux HSTouch was also not 100%. There really is nothing to it so I would say if you see similar options for cheap Jogglers they might be worth it for you in light of nothing else similar.

Comment

Here have had carpc's in two cars now for a while (since the early 2000's).

I purchased a trans reflective outdoor touch tablet a while ago to play with. I didn't really like it. It was destined to be utilized outdoors and very functional.

Relating to that whole touchscreen thing though in the car I prefer to navigate the screens with steering wheel controls first, then button with multiple functions and not putting any attention while I drive to an HU touchscreen. Personally its more of a safety hazard. Today the two HU (OEM) are polarized. If I tilt my head and have sunglasses on the screens go black. PC wise just have updated them to smaller and faster PCs. The two automobiles were predone with a small rack (literally) in the rear of the automobiles with devices that slide in and out of the rack. IE: satellite, telephone, television, amplifier, GPS, CD changer, et al. Putting a computer in the rack was plugnplay. While I have satellite radio and regular radio and internet radio and cd and now USB. I still prefer to listen to my music from the HD in the mini pc.

I played with the Android stuff and did purchase the Homeseer Android in wall touch screen when it was available. I rooted it first, then baked new firmware for it customizing it a bit more just for HS touch use. I also purchased and have tried other tablet OS stuff. It worked fine.

In the house mostly though went with mini-pc or wall mounted PC stuff based only on Intel CPUs and Wintel OS's. Initial touchscreens were resistive style (Liliput). I still have two of the last LiliPut 8" touchscreens. They were meant as POS screens and very well constructed (but resistive). The only recently have moved to the wide screen touchscreen stuff as all of the older stuff was a 4:3 display. Note none were tablets. I prefer a wired POE connection for automation. That is me. It was easier to remote control them from the get go of HS touch. Years ago I integrated the occupancy PIRs to turn on the screens when you walked in a room. I do not do that today. It was very easy to do in Windows.

I have been playing with the Linux version of HS touch for a while and it never did work right. That said though it wouldn't be as easy to remote control as windows. I am currently running HS3 touch on a little Joggler with a 16Gb SSD running Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine. In Linux Wine HS3 Touch is working pretty good until a TTS wave file gets sent to it; then it errors out but keeps working. I have been able to get Microsoft SAPI to work in Wine throwing the kitchen sink at it. I didn't throw enough of the wine kitchen sink at it to run speaker dot exe though. Adding the wine components are like doing a windows installation a la carte piece by piece (kind of a PITA).

Using mono for HS3 touch totally messes up. It keeps trying to map the cache stuff in a windows fashion on the Ubuntu touchscreen mangling its functions. You can get it to work but it seems a bit slower than Wine.

The Pi2 would be great and should work considering they used Kodi (very graphical) to benchmark it. It would be a rewrite of Homeseer 3 touch for Linux that is needed to get to use the RPi2 / Linux / Arm or Intel based CPU stuff.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

It was mrhappy that introduced me to the Jogglers a few years back.

Yes too there are 3 Jogglers (Openpeak) models. They all run Linux, Android or Windows from a USB stick or internal MMC or PATA IDE SSD. (internal MMC though is only 1 Gb or 2 Gb). There is also a 4th Openpeak Telephony DECT device which uses an ARM CPU - same OS - and I couldn't mod it on the ones I purchased. It was made for Verizon.

1 - O2 Joggler - made sort of as an SMS texting and on line doo what similiar to the old Chumby but a much faster CPU, better graphics, et al. It has a cheapo rubberized heat sink. That said I have left it open with no heat for hours and never have burned up the CPU.

2 - Openpeak 1 - Looks like the Joggler but is totally different. It was a multipurpose touchscreen device with a DECT (telephony) chip and a Zigbee chip (automation) and SIM traces for a SIM socket. The DECT/Zigbee chips have a metal cover and you cannot see them. You can talk to both of the chips though with the original Openpeak OS. Even pairing the DECT Openpeak phones. There are also a bunch of test applications in the original OS. Massive metal heat sink over the motherboard and the width of the entire case.

3 - Openpeak 2 - with speakers in the front is the same as Openpeak 1 except it has a mini pcie slot and came with a combo bluetooth and WLAN mini pcie card. Thing is with this one Openpeak decided to make it difficult to open (or mod). The Joggler and OpenPeak 1 device has 4 screws under the label in the back where as the Openframe 2 you need to utilize an Openpeak special tool with 4 prongs on it. Basically you put them in to the bottom of the Openpeak 2 and they go to the touchscreen (blindly) and push on plastic tabs which related the glass touchscreen so you can get to the > 4 screens underneath it. Massive heatsink is screwed on to the motherboard underneath the lcd screen.

The Openpeak devices were revenge devices (meant to be apple killers) created with the help of John Skully when he left Apple. (personal opinion).

BTW and it's been a few years now....Avaya was putting these telephony DECT VOIP kiosks in very nice hotels globally.
                    Last edited by Pete; January 22, 2016, 06:40 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Ok, I was wrong about the sibo's they were $170 plus $75 shipping.
                      Tom

Comment

@Tom,

Have you ever noticed an odd email address coming up when you Jogglers log on to Squeezebox central?

That is a NIC issue because the NIC SROM is blank and never was written to by the OpenPeak folks.

You can change that now so it works. Look here for some information.

That is a high price for the Sibo tabletop touchscreen.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete,
                          I haven't noticed odd email address when the jogglers logged into SB, but I haven't looked too closely either.
                          I've subscribed to your thread here and following it. I'm in the middle of a big ,almost cross country, move. As soon as I settle down, I plan to following this up. Thank you for sharing your hard work.
                          Tom

Comment

High price is right. I was just quoted a price of $180.00 for a single unit.
                            Don

Comment

Take a look at this!!!

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-...MI-362600.html

Comment

Personally here had some issues with Sibo Products. Well customer service relating to purchasing their products was great! Very personable folks. Post purchase was not as good.

I have not had any issues to date with my first W10 purchase of the PipoX7 well it came with W8.1 and I updated it to W10. They do sell them today dual booting Android and Windows. That said the Windows ingrained BIOS works in Ubuntu but is a bit difficult.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X