Wow these tablets are maddening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow these tablets are maddening.

The original is slow as molasses. The new one requires an act of congress to load apps.

Been trying to turn my original model into a simple BEDSIDE CLOCK but the wifi is so bad that I have to be within about 3ft from my router to get anything done. Then it's so slow that it's not worth the hassle.

Love the form factor, hate the crappy, crappy tablets.

Had to vent.

I use the following devices as bedside tabletop touchscreens. Years now.

Modded from the original (which is a bit of work) with a new BIOS and SSD drive.

They were made a bit ahead of their time.

Base tabletop specifications are:

CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Z520 Single-Core, Hyper-threaded, Atom CPU (passive heatsink cooling)
    Chipset: Intel US15W (400/533MHz FSB)
    Graphics: Intel GMA500 (with hardware acceleration for H.264, MPEG2, MPEG4, VC1, WMV9)
    Based on Intel's Poulsbo/US15W mobile chipset.
    512MB RAM (NOT user upgradable - not easily anyway)
    1GB internal filesystems (soldered, non removable)
    1MB EFI bootloader and nonvolatile parameters (socketed)
    Wired Gigabit Ethernet. Realtek RTL8111C
    WiFi B/G/N based on the Ralink RT2870 chipset (connected to the internal USB port).
    Ambient Light Sensor: SILABS C8051F311 (U35)
    Audio: IDT STAC9202X5 Audio with 2 speakers and a 3.5mm headphone jack
    USB (High Speed USB 2.0 Ports): 1 x external and 1 x internal (+2 with soldering).
    Power: 5v DC
    Screen: 7in Sharp LQ070Y3LG4A 800x480 LCD, 16m colour (24-bit), LED backlit, capacitative touch-screen

With hardware modifications these run Android, Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows XPe.

The ones I have running for Homeseer touch utilize HSTouch / speaker for Windows and run just fine.

Best thing about them is that they are sold as non usable with no service bricks today for around $35.00 used or new old stock. Hardware mods are easy using a soldering iron and a bit of bios tweaking. They were known as Jogglers or Openpeak devices used for Energy managment (have a Zigbee chip in them) or Telco VOIP Kiosks (DECT chip inside and sold by Cisco, Avaya, and other telco companies).

Attached is a screen shot of one Joggler running XPe via a VNC remote connection via a PATA port SSD card.
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete these look neat. Where would one find some of these ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Adam12hicks View Post
        The original is slow as molasses. The new one requires an act of congress to load apps.

Been trying to turn my original model into a simple BEDSIDE CLOCK but the wifi is so bad that I have to be within about 3ft from my router to get anything done. Then it's so slow that it's not worth the hassle.

Love the form factor, hate the crappy, crappy tablets.

Had to vent.
        I know how you feel. I never tried the original but bought the second generation. It seemed to work good for the first little while but now anytime it sits idle for more than a few seconds i have to touch the screen twice for anything to work. Any touch immediately after works on the first touch. If I let it sit for more than a few seconds I have to touch twice again to make it respond. Also I have it set up for weather announcements in the morning(which also plays on my laptop) Usually the laptop gets halfway true the weather before the WFTT07 starts. So not impressed with it so far. I might look into a regular tablet to replace it.

Comment

Doing a quick ebay search found one for sale (I think this is the right device):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPIN...YAAOSwQTVV~bMO

Comment

Thanks wasn't really sure what to search for on eBay besides Cisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That Cisco unit looks interesting depending on how difficult it is to mod into submission :-)

You'd think there would be more tabletop tablet options that are designed for always-on, and that have decent speakers. So many good applications if done right!

Adam

Comment

The Cisco device (OpenPeak) is meant to be on 24/7 with a Zigbee connection to your power meter and thermostat. It also has the DECT chip in it. You can mod it a couple of ways for use.

The smaller telco / energy OpenPeak labeled devices already have the ZIF PATA port on the motherboard (no soldering necessary).

Here is what the motherboard looks like. Note too that it has SIM card traces (thinking too that the chips are there for use). These have a battery / RTC on them which is a bit nicer than the smaller Jogglers with no battery.

1 - solder on a ZIF PATA port for a ZIF SSD drive
                2 - it has a mini pcie slot used for the wireless combo bluetooth card that you can utilize for an SSD SATA card
                3 - On the top it has a second external USB port (well in the back it has one too) meant for a webcam/SIP/VOIP.
                4 - the boot flash on this device is soldered in which isn't really a big deal unless you fat finger the bios update.

Make an offer of $35 for it. I think I got my Cisco test device for $10. I have a few of these today.

It is a brick such that unless you mod it a bit you cannot do anything with it.

This picture shows the Zigbee chip chit chat.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; October 28, 2015, 12:02 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X