How do I add a vacation home to HS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I add a vacation home to HS3?

I currently run 2 different HS systems, one in my primary and one in my vacation home. I would like to consolidate to one HS system, hopefully to achieve better reliability and serviceability. I don't want to have to drive 200 miles to re-boot or restart a computer that's hung.

I see several references to this scenario in HS3 documentation, but have not yet figured out exactly how to do it. How do you reliably connect a z-troller with an Ethernet interface through your router and cable modem when you are using dynamic IP addresses? Do I need to set up a VPN (I have no experience in that)?

Does anyone have a second house connected to your system? Please share your setup and experience.

Thanks,

Johan

This might be a good fit for the Zee. Instead of running HS at House A and the ZTroller living at House B, leave everything at House B and just access it over the web.

For the random hang issue, you could put it on a timer for daily reboots, etc.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

You just made Mark's day

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
        You just made Mark's day

Z
        Ha!
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Actually, now that I think of it, is there a way to interface the Zee into a "primary" HS3 system?
          Having a little more smarts at the remote location isn't such a bad thing if you could also map that data into an HS3 system..

Z

Comment

Here thinking of maybe installing a Zee inside of one of two cans today.

I have configured one router, patch panel, sound stuff et al in one Leviton can. Thinking that the Zee will still fit nicely inside said can but can go to the second can easily. I do have an AP in the attic above the wiring closet and could just stick the Zee with it if I utilize the Aeon stick on it.

Personally I would still prefer an autonomous HS3 set up though with connections over to primary HS3 box.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
              You just made Mark's day

Z

Yes.. a Zee would probably be a good fit for this. Feel free to call us directly if you want to discuss in greater detail. 603-471-2816
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Here thinking of maybe installing a Zee inside of one of two cans today.

I have configured one router, patch panel, sound stuff et al in one Leviton can. Thinking that the Zee will still fit nicely inside said can but can go to the second can easily. I do have an AP in the attic above the wiring closet and could just stick the Zee with it if I utilize the Aeon stick on it.

Personally I would still prefer an autonomous HS3 set up though with connections over to primary HS3 box.
                Why not send a bridged VPN style connection between the two sites, then use Serial/USB to network devices to pass over to the primary (main) HS3 server?
                HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Yup; Thank-you Travis.

I utilize a tunnel today that I set up with DD-WRT to get to my stuff there and that would work for running a single plugin there talking here or using a serial over the WAN connection. I am currently just bridging a connection on the FIOS combo box there (which in still in the can and working after some 5 years now). I did just recently replace the DD-WRT box as the radio went bad on it. Everything on it continued to work fine. Batteries though have to be replaced on the weather station as of October this year.

All I have really running there is a Cumulus server and a couple of other boxes. I get almost live data over to the HS2 box now by posting a csv file out to the internet; then retrieve here. Mostly just watch the weather there today. A custom HSTouch connection to the box there would probably be fine. I left an IP camera and Omnistat there on my last visit there and never installed it. We did have a Manatee decide to live under the boat dock one year. We had to build a new dock afterwards. We never really use the dock there.

This would be more of an experiment as I have wanted to put a HS box there for a few years now (like 10); just never got around to it. The wiring closet is small just a few inches on either side of the cans. One can high up and another one right below it.
                  Last edited by Pete; December 20, 2013, 10:22 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X