Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an easy way to move from serial to ethernet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an easy way to move from serial to ethernet?

I have a Z-troller configured and working properly using a com port. I added a remote Z-troller with an IP2SL Ethernet adapter. I would like to move my primary controller to ethernet as well, is there an easy way to change the type of interface connection under HS3? I was thinking I should back up the controller, move the connection, then restore it, but each time I think something is simple, i encounter an unknown gotcha.

We'll let's go see...

Shutdown Primary controller in Plugin mgmt (Green checkbox)
    Unplugged Serial cable from Primary controller dongle
    Connected Enet device to controller dongle
    Editted Comms on Primary to Enet connection
    Re-Activated Primary Controller (red bullseye) -> OK

Backups sound reasonable as well..

Z

Comment

Thanks again for the help. It worked just fine. The green checkbox was what I was missing.

With both of the Z-Trollers on Ethernet it is now a lot easier to remotely switch to another computer in case of a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        With both of the Z-Trollers on Ethernet it is now a lot easier to remotely switch to another computer in case of a failure.
        Good idea.

What about in case of a z-troller failure?

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
          Good idea.

What about in case of a z-troller failure?
          I haven't figured that out yet. That was my last concern. I was able to relocate my Primary controller to a central physical location where it has good signal strength to my entire network. So I have been running fine on a single controller. The only thing I could think of with two controllers was to take a backup of both controllers and to have a spare in case of a failure. With the end of Z-Troller supply I was motivated to consolidate so that my second controller would be a spare. I still take regular backups of the primary. With the improvements in optimization and return route generation in the latest Z-Wave betas my network has been solid on a single controller for more than a month. If the primary fails, connect the spare, restore from backup and optimize.

With all of my connections (3X Arduino, 2X OneWire servers and 1X Z-Troller) as Ethernet, rolling a spare machine into service as a server is about a ten minute affair. The spare has HS installed and configured, so I just restore the new machine from last night's backup of the main server.

Comment

Working...
          X