Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a Secondary Z-Troller in HS3

Hi, everyone,
    I have done in in HS2 and for the life of me can't figure out a smooth way of doing it in HS3. I have a primary z-troller. I want to add a secondary, to use in the far end of property. How do I do that?

In Plugins -> Z-wave -> Controller Management click the Add Interface button and enter the Connection details for your 2nd Z-troller.

Once added there are options in the Actions drop down for each controller allowing you to send or receive the network to/from another controller.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      In Plugins -> Z-wave -> Controller Management click the Add Interface button and enter the Connection details for your 2nd Z-troller.

Once added there are options in the Actions drop down for each controller allowing you to send or receive the network to/from another controller.
      I did that, yet for some reason had a ton of errors in the log and the "secondary" z-troller was showing up as an independent primary z-troller for a different home network ID. Then, after restarting HS, it showed up as secondary. Weird...

Comment

Next step: have to move some devices to the secondary controller, in order for me to benefit from this addition, right? My secondary controller in in the kitchen pantry, close to one of the Yale locks and a whole bunch of switches. I tried optimizing some of those switches with the "auto" selection of controller. That is, I don't manually assign the controller, but rather lets HS decide which one is better. Fail. No matter how many times I chose "auto set with optimize", the primary z-troller was always chosen. Not sure why, because it's about sixty feet away, across a couple of walls, whereas the secondary is right here, just behind the wall of the kitchen pantry.

So... I manually assigned the kitchen z-troller to two switches and one multisensor. Each time, HS told me that re-assignment to kitchen controller completed successfully. Yet, when I try to audit each node after reassignment, it fails. Also, as soon as I reassign a node to a secondary controller, both "optimize" and "full optimize" buttons become inactive / disabled:

Any ideas? I do remember using a secondary controller quite successfully inn HS2...

Comment

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I'm trying to add a Aeon Z-Stick as a secondary controller. I can get it to initialize in HS but I can't seem to send or receive the primary Z-Troller info to it. I just get log errors.

I thought maybe I would try to manually assign to the controller like you did but I don't want to waste my time if it doesn't work. Thanks

Comment

Gave up. Just using one z-troller. Keeping second one as a backup. Hopefully, when I can actually buy z-net, I can make that one primary. I'm not even sure about Aeon z-stick, if it can be used as a secondary controller to extend the network.

Comment

What kind of interface were you using on the 2nd Z-troller - IP2SL or WF2SL or something else? Have multiple Z-Trollers running on multiple systems

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                What kind of interface were you using on the 2nd Z-troller - IP2SL or WF2SL or something else? Have multiple Z-Trollers running on multiple systems

Thanks for bringing the thread back to life
                I was using serial to Ethernet connection at the time. Since then, I have moved to Z-Net and use only one of them, for now.

Comment

Adding second Z-Troller in HS3

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                  I am using IP2SL on my second Z-Troller, which I installed in HS2 with its local IP address. How is this done in HS3, where it does not appear to ask for an IP address? Do I have to set up a virtual COM port?
                  Thanks.
                  "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                  "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Three z-Nets but not using anything but the main

My Z-wave devices are spread over a wide area. In HS2 I solved that by installing three Z-trollers. Unfortunately, one of these died after they were no longer available. The HS store said I could use a Z-net on HS2 (turns out not to be the case). So I started diving into HS3 and bought three Z-Nets and a HS3 Pro license for that purpose.

I have all three installed and recognized on the same Home ID with the same nodes loaded. But there doesn't seem to be any way to tell HS3 *WHICH* of the three interfaces to use to communicate with a given device - only the main interface appears to try to communicate.

I followed the screen shots above; for a given node, choose the "Z-Wave" tab and look at options. My HS3 doesn't include the option VirtualPanther posted ("Remote Interface to use") which may or may not work anyway.

BTW, when I full optimize a node that's close to either secondary controller I only get a result if it's in the range of the "main" Z-net. So how do I take advantage of having three of these little devices?

Comment

My prior post is in the wrong thread. Sorry

I got to this thread by search and didn't look at it closely.
                      My prior question really belongs in the Z-Net hardware area, and I've posted a new question there.

Comment

Working...
                      X