How is this possible???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is this possible???

For reasons that I don't need to explain, last night before going to bed, I unplugged an Intermatic Z-wave wall plug that was controlling a fan. This morning my Z-wave network was not working, either on my HS2 system with Z-Trollers or my HS3 system with Z-Net. The log in HS2 was just indicating that it could not contact the Intermatic node. It occurred to me to plug that node back in and when I did, the Z-wave network started working again. I was able to reproduce the problem by once again unplugging the wall plug.

So, how can one node kill an entire Z-wave network? Very scary.

Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

If that node is the route to all or most of your nodes then it's entirely possible. When you remove a Z-Wave node you have to run a network optimization to reestablish the network routes. Also if this node was being polled it can bring a Z-Wave network to it's knees waiting for a response from the node before the signal times out.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      If that node is the route to all or most of your nodes then it's entirely possible. When you remove a Z-Wave node you have to run a network optimization to reestablish the network routes. Also if this node was being polled it can bring a Z-Wave network to it's knees waiting for a response from the node before the signal times out.
      Rupp:

Thanks.

Elliott
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Here's another for you, Rupp. This morning a binary Z-wave switch controlling a fan became non-functional, non-reachable, after working fine for at least 7 months. I was thinking that I needed to replace the unit, but decided to try to include it again. I successfully included the device and it was recognized as a new node, rather than being a node that was previously on the network. How can this happen?

Thanks,
        Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
          Here's another for you, Rupp. This morning a binary Z-wave switch controlling a fan became non-functional, non-reachable, after working fine for at least 7 months. I was thinking that I needed to replace the unit, but decided to try to include it again. I successfully included the device and it was recognized as a new node, rather than being a node that was previously on the network. How can this happen?

Thanks,
          Elliott
          The node had to be reset somehow as it sound like it lost it's association. I've only seen this after a close lightning strike on a couple of switches or with a switch that is failing.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've seen it once in my z-wave network with an Aeotec Micro Switch. It stopped working one day and I had to re-add it to the network. There was no events like lightning or power surges that caused it.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              I've seen it once in my z-wave network with an Aeotec Micro Switch. It stopped working one day and I had to re-add it to the network. There was no events like lightning or power surges that caused it.

Cheers
              Al

Thanks Sparkman and Rupp. I can't explain the issue on the basis of weather, either.

Elliott

Comment

Working...
              X