Range of SmartStick+ vs ZNET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range of SmartStick+ vs ZNET

Which has better range, a SmartStick+ or a ZNET? I realize a major benefit of ZNET is locating it centrally, but assuming I can locate either centrally, which would reach farther devices?

I am not sure about the range perhaps someone else will chime in.

Here is a comparison of z-wave interfaces. Feature wise it does look like the Z-Net and SmartStick+ are about the same. The SmartStick+ is only US frequencies.

http://homeseer.com/compare-z-wave-interfaces/

On this page it says the Z-Net "Includes Highly Optimized Antenna for Superior Range and Performance" so it might be a little bit better then the SmartStick+

https://homeseer.com/zwave-interfaces/

Here is a response to a review of the Z-Net

Gary - Thanks for reviewing the Z-NET! Yes, the range should be virtually the same as the SmartStick+ since both use the identical Z-Wave chip. The beauty of the Z-NET is... because it's a network-connected device, you can position it virtually anywhere relative to your HS3 system (or HomeTroller). That's where the range can really be enhanced. I would recommend re-positioning to a location that's central to your whole Z-Wave network. If you can do that, that alone will improve performance.

- HomeSeer Store

Comment

Pete - it looks like you’ve got experience with the different Zwave hardware including the GPIO Zwave boards for RPi. Any benefit to using the GPIO card over SmartStick+? I would think the GPIO card has longer reach because it has a larger antenna design.

Comment

I own two z-nets and 2 smartstick+'s. Without scientific data testing I see no difference in range in a normal use case. I was told the z-nets have better range due to antenna size and I wont argue that it not, but I have no personal stories to support some big range difference in my houses. I do have alot of z-wave devices and a good mesh network going so no issues with either.

I use a z-stick in my servers and used a z-net in the detached garage/workshop. And in another case the sever is on one end of the house so I put a z-net on the other side of the house. It helps me keep minimal z-wave hops and good coverage.

Personally I would never buy one to put in a place that i can put a smartstick+. Just use it for it's easy remote location mounting.

Comment

I just purchased an "amplifier" that's supposed to extend the range of the entire Zwave network. My originator for all zwave signals is the smartstick + which I received a month ago from HS. I purchased the extender due to delays and fall-outs in device activity within my home. There is no way to tell what kind of signal amplification is actually being produced.
          With lots of studying other users' experience on this forum it seems that device delays are common, and that the network can easily get tied up with activities criss-crossing the mesh. Some of the delays are apparently fairly significant, which makes me wonder about the entire protocol vs. Insteon (which I'm also using extensively). Motion detectors get priority and instant action from my experience.
          Any comments as to Z-wave range, delays, or comparison with other communication systems?
          Sel-pro interfaced with a Dell Area 51. HS3 held on the SelPro (Linux).
          Thanks,

Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
            I own two z-nets and 2 smartstick+'s. Without scientific data testing I see no difference in range in a normal use case. I was told the z-nets have better range due to antenna size and I wont argue that it not, but I have no personal stories to support some big range difference in my houses. I do have alot of z-wave devices and a good mesh network going so no issues with either.

I use a z-stick in my servers and used a z-net in the detached garage/workshop. And in another case the sever is on one end of the house so I put a z-net on the other side of the house. It helps me keep minimal z-wave hops and good coverage.

Personally I would never buy one to put in a place that i can put a smartstick+. Just use it for it's easy remote location mounting.
            Can you put a smart stick and znet on the same homeseer? I have several issues with zwave and no matter how many times I optimize it seems that I'm out of luck. I bought two more extenders but to be honest I'm very frustrated, my insteon works like a charm for more than 10+ years

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
              Can you put a smart stick and znet on the same homeseer? I have several issues with zwave and no matter how many times I optimize it seems that I'm out of luck. I bought two more extenders but to be honest I'm very frustrated, my insteon works like a charm for more than 10+ years
              Yes you can run a ton of Zwave networks on one Homeseer. They are seperate z-wave networks but they are all together in HomeSeer. So what I mean is like in my house that has 2 Znets and Stick when I add a new device I choose which z-wave device they include too. So all z-wave devices out in my back garage all connect to that one Z-net that is out there. Extenders are not the same and just add another hop in the z-wave network to get back to the main controller. Where if I have 3 z-wave controllers spread out I can get all of my devices to connect directly with no hops. This was especially important for my house full of older GE switches that don't have instant status but act as if they do only if they are direct with the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post

Yes you can run a ton of Zwave networks on one Homeseer. They are seperate z-wave networks but they are all together in HomeSeer. So what I mean is like in my house that has 2 Znets and Stick when I add a new device I choose which z-wave device they include too. So all z-wave devices out in my back garage all connect to that one Z-net that is out there. Extenders are not the same and just add another hop in the z-wave network to get back to the main controller. Where if I have 3 z-wave controllers spread out I can get all of my devices to connect directly with no hops. This was especially important for my house full of older GE switches that don't have instant status but act as if they do only if they are direct with the controller.
                Thank you for your feedback, last question fi you don't mind, how do I select a device to go to one controller while another on the other Controller, you may have saved lot of aggrevation with this, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
                  Thank you for your feedback, last question fi you don't mind, how do I select a device to go to one controller while another on the other Controller, you may have saved lot of aggrevation with this, thank you.

You will know. You will have more then one network and the include drop down will be under which ever network you want. Also if you using the App there will be a drop down with all networks that you choose before you click include. Here is some pics showing the 3 z-wave networks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again, very much appreciated. I need to play more with this but I guess I can only include one device with one controller correct? This mean, I would need to remove the node from the existing controller and include it in the other, am I correct?

Comment

These are the screens that I have, please note, they both node ID 1, is this ok? Any suggestions, still confused a little.

Comment

Thanks all for adding to my knowledge of this newer "Zwave" protocol. Before this month, I was only using insteon (and I dare say X-10) which has been spread all over my house for many years. I've needed to use X-10 filters, 120V line join interfaces, etc. to keep communication at a reasonable pace. Insteon seems to provide "instant action" however (unlike Zwave) from my one-month-old experience. I just upgraded from a Sel-Pro to an S6 Pro due to its win10 OS, memory, faster processor, and other plug-in capacities.

Portsmouth,
                        New Hampshire

Comment

Working...
                        X