Help with Windows 10 Pro with Smartstick+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Windows 10 Pro with Smartstick+

Hey all so I've moved the Smarstick+ that I got last year that was on my personal tower to a new tower with Windows 10 Pro... this tower is now only used specifically for HS3 and the smartstick+ and is centrally located in the home.

I did a full optimization with the system and while it runs nice and quick, almost immediate responses sometimes... other times it either does not respond for 30+ seconds and sometimes not at all. This is a 50/50 shot if it's going to be quick or not.

In Windows 10 I turned off all the USB Power Management, I changed the system so it's set to High Performance and never goes to sleep and even put the HDD to never sleep.

However this issues with the lag is still there.

Any ideas?

I've had that problem too. Its generally worse if your network contains devices that aren't Z-Wave plus.

Here's how I fix it (and my understanding of why this procedure works...)

Do the "Optimize A Network, No Return Route Changes" more than once -- if a device is multiple hops away, the optimum route can take several optimizations to get right. Look at it as the first optimization figures out the optimum route for devices 1 hop away. The second run for devices up to 2 hops away. The third run for devices up to 3 hops away. Usually 3 is enough. This optimizes from the Controller TO the device.

Then follow by a "Fully Optimize A Network" which optimizes the return toute back to the controller. I think once is generally enough for this.

Z-Wave Plus devices are supposed to have more advanced self-learning algorithms whereby they are more capabile of learning routes, but older Z-Wave doesnt'.

Comment

A recent post was discussing this issue of doing network optimization - sometimes multiple times (I think it was @rjm?), but the suggestion is not to do it. Especially if you have some Z-Wave+ devices. I'll try to find that post, but the point Rich(?) made was that older Z-Wave (non+) devices can store invalid routes, and have limited memory for storing routes, and Z-Wave+ devices are dynamic and don't need optimization. His suggestion was to optimize a single device if you felt it was warranted, but otherwise not to do this on the entire network.

Comment

Thanks! I'll try this out and see what happens then report back.

Comment

Well alright then... 90% are Zwave+ devices, there are only a couple of items, like my water/flood sensors and Energy meter... and maybe my Smoke/CO detectors (not sure) that are actually the standard Zwave

Comment

Found the link I was reading about. Take a look - Rich explains about network optimization.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Comment

Rich just posted a 2018 Network Optimization Best Practices guide which should be useful.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Comment

Working...
              X